Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just bought my car almost 2 months ago.. it has around 2000 miles on it and ever since like 1000-1200 miles ive had a tick in my engine when i went into the dealership they said its in the brand new cars they had on their lot too... was wondering if anyone else has heard this higher pitched tick... as well? and if it goes away i have a 2010 kia base model auto... with ac . and i also have a (non related) rattle in my dash board that they said is normal as well, and told me to wait another 4000 miles to do anything about BOTH options.. telling me that i should wait closer to the end of my 1 yr warranty on rattles...

is it normal?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
EX, SX, LX?

1.6, 2.0., 2.4?

My 2010 Koup SX 6 Speed Man. 2.4L has a faint ticking sound when the engine is idling. It can only be heard if you open the hood, that sound is normal.

Also, try using the search engine. There are plenty of threads discussing engine sounds, ticking, rattling and idling sounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a LX i believe its 2.0L but i could easily be wrong...mine isnt really a faint noise, it changes sometimes you can hear it in the car when the radios off but you can tell there is a tick in there.. when i went in to them they said it was on the left side of the engine.. but i cant tell where its coming from left right.. or anything... its louder in the mornings wether its cold or warm out it does it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i used to drive a dodge stealth (notorious for lifter ticks) I have a 2010 kia forte LX and it has a similar tick, i haven't read up much on the Kia's but i wonder if it could be a lifter tick.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If you're in the US you have the 2.0L engine.
The Theta II engine has solid lifters, which are inherently noisy. It should be just a very faint ticking sound. It's quite a bit louder when warming up since the oil hasn't had time to circulate to the upper parts of the engine yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The problem is the engine is lacking oil pressure. There is enough there for it to run but not enough to properly oil the head the way most cars are. That is do to cheaper parts and cheaper manufacturing. I love my koup and wouldnt trade her for the world but you either live with the problem or you sell. just my two cents

·
Registered
257 Posts
My 2.4 has always had the issue, I believe it is from the timing adjustment servo's on the cams. It can be heard easily from the rear of the engine toward the cab of the car. Not that noticeable from all other directions. From what I can tell its normal for these types of cam adjusters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happens and nothing to fret about, I'm at 12k miles and it's been doing it for the past 12k. It's just the engine warming up, has a lot to do with the aluminum casing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope I'm in the right spot here. I'm from Cape Breton Nova Scotia, I have a 2014 Kia Forte LX with 82,000+ on the ticker over the last 6 months or so I've noticed a ticking noise after placing the car in drive to drive up the road. Some days it gets loud and sometimes its manageable. I've been reading thru the fourms here and it sounds like it could be engine slap or it could be something else I have no idea. I'm thinking it might not necessarily be piston slap but could be the timing chain or serpentine belt. I really love my kia but would like to know if this is what everybody else thinks it could be or could be something minor like the belts. Thanks for any help

·
Administrator
560 Posts
I hope I'm in the right spot here. I'm from Cape Breton Nova Scotia, I have a 2014 Kia Forte LX with 82,000+ on the ticker over the last 6 months or so I've noticed a ticking noise after placing the car in drive to drive up the road. Some days it gets loud and sometimes its manageable. I've been reading thru the fourms here and it sounds like it could be engine slap or it could be something else I have no idea. I'm thinking it might not necessarily be piston slap but could be the timing chain or serpentine belt. I really love my kia but would like to know if this is what everybody else thinks it could be or could be something minor like the belts. Thanks for any help
Obvious question but... did you check your oil level? Have you gotten an oil change recently?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did check my oil level regularly and it was full, also did regular oil changes every 5,000 which was done twice a year, asked garage to check oil filter to see if their was any shavings in or around the oil filter but nothing was present. If it helps any my car is a 1.8L engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok folks well it's been a month or more since my car was diagnosed with piston slap. The car has been fixed with a new engine covered under warranty, and now the car drives like a dream I had thoughts of trading the car in based on the age, but after thinking about it I'm driving a new car imo. Took awhile to get it fixed as the first engine arrived after 5 days, but upon installation they noticed a hairline crack in the top oil pan, so they had to send another one and that took about 2 days to install. Car is quieter like it was at new and now going to see how far it goes until the next issue I only have 85,300 on the car and it's a 2014. Just wanted to tell my story (with the short version of course) cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts