Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to a local Muffler shop today to get some pricing on exhausts. For a custom cat-back exhaust, 2 and a 1/4 inch. ordering some nice tips to try and match the stock tips. Quoted me $450 installed + $25 for the tips. All Mandrel bent. So should I?

·
Banned
203 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, I'm going tomorrow hopefully to get an estimate for a cat back and catless midpipe. Since most of the cat backs on the web are averaging like 1k for our car, $475 sounds great. Are you going to get single outlet or dual? I want to cut the left side of the diffuser and get dual

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The guy told me that dual is pointless and only for asthetics, since its only a four banger and not a V8. I'm going single out, with some tips that almost look like the stock one's, just a little bigger. As for sound goes, it's gonna be a magnaflow muffler on there. sould sound nice and hopefully not too ricey. I'm going for a deep tone, so we shall see.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Sounds good man, you going to go for it? I think that's the way I'm gonna go, custom. Why are you going with 2.25? Is that ideal? Just wondering, thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking with the muffler guy, he was asking if I had any plans on a turbo. I said yes but thats way later down the road. He told me, that honestly the car wont need a bigger diameter exhaust unless I turbo'd it. and even then 2.5 would be enough. but that depends on what your boosting. but anyways. for whats in it now. I think the 2.25 would be just fine.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
Is this with stainless steel pipe or aluminized pipe? The Solo Performance exhaust is $499 shipped and is all stainless steel.

·
Registered
519 Posts
is this with stainless steel pipe or aluminized pipe? The solo performance exhaust is $499 shipped and is all stainless steel.
ditto

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sounds like a good buy but I'm with ^^^^^. Stainless steel or aluminized? Just want you to get the biggest bang for your buck. Pricing not bad at all though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
hey keep in mind that 2.4L is a pretty big size 4banger... Trying going at least 70mm or maybe even 3inch....

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
hey keep in mind that 2.4L is a pretty big size 4banger... Trying going at least 70mm or maybe even 3inch....
My old 98 Eagle Talon TSi (2.0l turbo with an BIG16G turbo) suffer from backpressure lost with a strait 3" exhaust!!!!!
I'm pretty sure that 2.5" is WAY enought for a 2.4L NA engine!!
My 2 pennys!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Poor Poor advice. Not even a NA 3.6L DI V6 needs that kind of piping.

The issue isn't actually backpressure. Backpressure is bad and because the exhaust is restrictive(overly). You don't want backpressure or need it. What you need is scavenging and keeping the exhaust gases hot.

The problems that manifest as a lost of backpressure = lost of power is actually the loss of scavenging and your exhaust gases cooling down and possible case where the engine starts too lean.

You're asking how does the above cause a loss in power.

Well lets start with how why hot exhaust gas is better.
We know cold air is denser/heavier. We don't want this we want our exhaust gases hot and light so it's easier to push out. Think about it. You don't want your engine to work pushing cold heavy air out you want it to gently push hot light air. How does a large pipe ruin this? When you compress something it heats up(why we use intercoolers) and when it expands it cools. Cooling = denser/heavier gas. This is why people use exhaust/header wrap.

Scavenging is basically the flow of gas creating a nice constant flow that helps suck the exhaust out of the cylinder. As exhaust flows it cools what happens is the hotter gas will try to take it's place. If this flow is constant it'll appear like the exhaust gas is being sucked out. However if the pipe is too big you'll get an inconsistent flow. So instead of a naturally occuring process helping you get exhaust gases out of the cylinder you need to use the power of the engine to push it out.

If you're running a race engine at full bore you will need to run larger pipes than a DD car why? Because the flow is different at 2-3K RPM than 15K. On a street engine you'll need to maintain exhaust temps and scavenging rates for a larger RPM range you want it to be fairly optimal between 2K-6800RPM. You'd have crap drivability if you maximized it only for 6800RPM which if what would happen with a 2.5".

We all know what happens when an engine runs too lean. This doesn't really happen these days because the computer can compensate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just saying that because on my 2008 civic si I put down 5more hp when i went from 70mm to 3inch... I had a ecu and adjusted that maybe that was your problem?

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
Nothing under $1k?

Our exhaust is $599, is fully polished, stainless steel, beautiful tips, great sound, DYNO proven HP and in stock. We are offering a $25 instant rebate as well. Plus we do our CAI & Exhaust for $799 plus $50 instant rebate. Sorry to post bomb, but wanted to make sure everyone is clear...

Sounds like a good idea, I'm going tomorrow hopefully to get an estimate for a cat back and catless midpipe. Since most of the cat backs on the web are averaging like 1k for our car, $475 sounds great. Are you going to get single outlet or dual? I want to cut the left side of the diffuser and get dual

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Just saying that because on my 2008 civic si I put down 5more hp when i went from 70mm to 3inch... I had a ecu and adjusted that maybe that was your problem?
The SI engine honda engines for the matter make no power until almost redline. Which basically means it's like a race engine where a free flowing exhaust will help. But I bet the torque curve ( who are we kidding Hondas have no torque) shifted drastically towards redline.

You have a lot to learn about engines and drivability.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ turbo kits, that combo ain't bad. I have Vegas soon so hopefully I win big.
@ tebore, so is the muffler guy right. Is 2.25 fine or should it be bigger. ahaha that's what she said.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
@ tebore, so is the muffler guy right. Is 2.25 fine or should it be bigger. ahaha that's what she said.
2.25 - 2.5" should be optimal for our engines. I would think that 2.5" would shift our torque curve. Things like this need to be determined through testing or flow calculations.

Solo's design is 2.25 and I gained a bunch of power without shifting the torque curve.

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
@ Kia Forplay
1) Good luck!
2) Our exhaust is 2.5" (Well 60mm) and it did not shift the torque curve and you can see power from start to finish. See DYNO below! Keep in mind this is to the wheels and on a Mustang DYNO which tend to read lower than other DYNOs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good numbers, mustang dyno shouldn't matter since you never compare one dyno to another. a dyno is a tool used to compare back to back runs only.

have any before and after track runs? ;) or dyno runs in terms of time of acceleration instead of HP.

system looks to be of high quality.

·
Site Sponsor
1,809 Posts
Yeah, we always make the Mustang DYNO statement due to the fact that the WHP to CHP conversion will be higher on the Mustang.

Nothing on the track yet, we went right from CAI & CAT Back to breaking the car down for turbo. We will definitely have track results on the Turbo Forte! (Once this darn show stops!).

Thanks, we try our best to make a quality part at a great price :)

good numbers, mustang dyno shouldn't matter since you never compare one dyno to another. a dyno is a tool used to compare back to back runs only.

have any before and after track runs? ;) or dyno runs in terms of time of acceleration instead of HP.

system looks to be of high quality.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We will see. Ill do dyno charts of before and after. I have a 2.5 right now we will see how much of a difference there is from 2.5 to 70mm.

And fyi - reason hondas dont have torque is because they rely on high rpms, hp and weight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts