Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One bright and sunny day after all this rain and tornado pass, a buddy of mine and I decided to go get our cars washed. We go to starwash and wanted to do a quick was so we go to the $5 quickie. Afterwards we go to the mall to visit a friend. Then we home and decide to put some decals we have bought...and I looked at my front and the Euro plate was ripped off or stolen! ...my car lost it's identity :(

<- Picture on the avatar

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Maybe your car decided it wasn't a European car (go figure), and took the plate off itself. Or the car wash did it (which they do).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i went back the day after and they said they didnt have it. so idk..im guessin someone got mad and decided to rip it off when i went to the mall...smh

·
Registered
105 Posts
One bright and sunny day after all this rain and tornado pass, a buddy of mine and I decided to go get our cars washed. We go to starwash and wanted to do a quick was so we go to the $5 quickie. Afterwards we go to the mall to visit a friend. Then we home and decide to put some decals we have bought...and I looked at my front and the Euro plate was ripped off or stolen! ...my car lost it's identity :(

<- Picture on the avatar
Simialr thing happened to my bro in the UK......... 6 months later he was accused of using his car in a ram raid on a store!!!!!! They had put his plates on another car and used it for the robbery!!!!!
You should perhaps inform the red and blue just so they have it noted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha thanks for the heads up man

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also doesn't hurt to switch to Torx or Allen head machine screws, you know something common a normal person wouldnt keep in their back pocket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my truck to one of those car washes once and one of the spinner things got caught and tore off my brake light. One washer nearly crapped himself when i showed him the hole where my break light once was, he ran in there to look for it and came out covered in water and soap with it in hand. I just reconnected it and popped it back in there and ended up with a free car wash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
License Plate Protector

All -

Here in good old New Jersey (I live in the SOUTHERN half, not up in Nawth Joisey), we have mandatory front plates. Well, after I took my Sedan through the car wash, I was walking around the front of it, and found my front plate BENT forward 90 degrees up to the point where the screw attaches it to the "plate adapter" (for those of you that don't have a front plate, KIA has a plastic-molded support that is screwed into the dimples in the front bumper, and provides a flat surface for the plate to attach to the adapter-support). Apparently, the rotating brushes caught the edge of the plate, and WHAMMO, just bent the hell out of it.

I took the plate off, tried to carefully bend it back FLAT, and then I went to the machine shop here at work (lucky, ain't I?). I got a piece of sheet steel (probably stainless, now that I think of it) out of the waste (recycle) bucket, had it cut to the width of the plate, and then had a 1/4 inch "lip" bent on the bottom with a 180-degree forward bend (first started on a metal-bender, then finished by putting the plate in the bend and squishing the bend shut in a rather large metal vise). Once fitted, I marked the holes that the plate had onto the surface of my custom-bent steel plate, and then punched those holes out. I finally had the metal shop clean-cut off the top of the steel plate to just about 1/32 of an inch SHORTER than the top of the license plate.

Now, I took it back to the plastic plate adapter on the front of the car, and used the 2 original screws to go through the license plate and steel plate, and snugged them down. The bottom 180-degree bend holds the BOTTOM of my rather thin and apparently fragile state license plate firmly, and the fact it's made of steel means the car wash rotating brushes now can't do a thing to my plate, as the steel DOES NOT BEND. I don't have any photos of this, but I probably should take some so you guys could visit a metal shop of your own and have this "protector?" fabricated for yourselves in about 20 min or so for just the few bucks they might charge for the scrap metal they would take out of the recycle bucket.

I don't think I've ever seen a commercial product like what I made.... but occasionally there's a need for it, apparently....

Just my two-cent's worth of ranting.....

·
Registered
524 Posts
Um... Both AutoZone and pep boys have premade license plate borders with different designs on them.. For 12 bux per border it saves the intensive DIY. I usedit for mine(nawth jerseyan, I guess) I went with billet to match my grille. for the bottom two holes to keep it rigid, I bought a set of 8 torx pan head screws with 4 rubber bumpers. I did the back this way too because Kia decided not to put holes for the bottom screws in my diffuser. Can check out the garage to see my results

·
Registered
108 Posts
Koupsx4110 -

You're right, it saved the time! I do like how YOUR plate protector looks; mine, however is almost invisible. I do see now that I have to post some photos of it to show what I mean. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
524 Posts
They had a bunch of different designs there.. My buddy bought one with a 3/16silver border for his mini that ataches in the back instead of on top I don't have pics but it works the same way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts