Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2016 Forte 2.0L at 77k miles.

I've noticed my car is excessively burning oil. I checked for leaks, none, I replaced the PCV valve, and problem persists. Every 300-500 miles I have to add a quarter or two of motor oil (full synthetic).

I called my dealership and they scheduled me for an "Oil Consumption Test".

Has anyone experience this problem and had an oil consumption test on their Forte?

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,814 Posts
...or leaking valve seals. I once drove an old car with NO valve seals (all seals were deteriorated) and had to add oil every 50-70 miles at highway speeds. However, there was extreme gray smoke when accelerating.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...or leaking valve seals. I once drove an old car with NO valve seals (all seals were deteriorated) and had to add oil every 50-70 miles at highway speeds. However, there was extreme gray smoke when accelerating.
no smoke at all when I accelerate.

Upon research, there are some class action lawsuits against Kia and Hyundai for excessive oil consumption on some models, including Fortes.

· Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
593 Posts
A theory I have is that the factory oil change interval is too long (at least for the quality of the piston rings used). Note the Kia recently changed its oil specification for warranty from a synthetic blend to a full synthetic.

What oil change interval have you been using, and are you running a blend of full synthetic?

Sorry to hear of your problem. Any modern engine should efficiently run more than twice that mileage.

Another Hyundai-Kia class action lawsuit? I just got finished with two Theta II engine actions, now I'm looking at a new class action for Forte thefts and now an oil consumption problem.

I like the cars, but I don't need this drama.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
A theory I have is that the factory oil change interval is too long (at least for the quality of the piston rings used). Note the Kia recently changed its oil specification for warranty from a synthetic blend to a full synthetic.

What oil change interval have you been using, and are you running a blend of full synthetic?

Sorry to hear of your problem. Any modern engine should efficiently run more than twice that mileage.

Another Hyundai-Kia class action lawsuit? I just got finished with two Theta II engine actions, now I'm looking at a new class action for Forte thefts and now an oil consumption problem.

I like the cars, but I don't need this drama.
What's the Theta 2 class actions? Would that include 1st gen Forte & transmission going out at 93,000miles? Especially when the vehicle has been taken care of. My friend I bought it from repaired the clutch & took care of it. He wanted an automatic sold me my Forte now I have to save $1,500.00 to repair. It's been i think maybe 5? 6? yrs & it's out again. I take care of the vehicles I own.

· Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
593 Posts
What's the Theta 2 class actions? Would that include 1st gen Forte & transmission going out at 93,000miles? Especially when the vehicle has been taken care of. My friend I bought it from repaired the clutch & took care of it. He wanted an automatic sold me my Forte now I have to save $1,500.00 to repair. It's been i think maybe 5? 6? yrs & it's out again. I take care of the vehicles I own.
There seems to be a lot of class action actions against Hyundai-Kia, but sorry, this class action concerned only the Sonata.

The Theta II class action centered on Hyundai's 2.4 liter GDI (gas direct injection) engines installed in the 2011-2019 Sonatas. This engine was also installed in Hyundai Sorentos and Kia Optimas, but the legal action concerned only the Sonata.

The lawsuit was initiated because of the high number of Sonata engines suffering massive failure around 75,000 miles, preceded by high oil consumption. Hyundai denied there was a problem for a long time but the claimed they were caused by inadequate deburring during engine manufacture, leaving metal shards in the engine that restricted oil flow. Hyundai said they fixed the problem in 2013.

A South Korean Hyundai engineer gave testimony that the problem is really caused by a design flaw, which seems right as all 2011-2019 engines are suffering this failure as evidenced by the huge number of Sonatas in dealership lots waiting for replacement engines.

The lawsuit forced Hyundai to offer a lifetime warranty on the engines.

Google "Kia Hyundai class action lawsuits" and see if there is anything pertaining to your situation. I assume you checked with the dealer to see if they have any customer accomodation programs.

Sorry for your issue.

· Registered
19 Posts

I've noticed my car is excessively burning oil. I checked for leaks, none, I replaced the PCV valve, and problem persists. Every 300-500 miles I have to add a quarter or two of motor oil (full synthetic).

Has anyone experience this problem and had an oil consumption test on their Forte?
Since new, you should have changed the oil every 3.75k (Severe Service) and never let the dipstick oil level fall below a half quart low.

Have you done that? If not, then you are at risk, snce these are soft metallurgy engines that deteriorate rapidly when the oil is not either kept clean or at the full-mark of the dipstick.

These are not your daddy's or grandpa's engines of their past. Theta 2's are of terrible design + terrrible parts quality. I found out too late - then came this Pandemic, which produced new vehicle shortages and prices beyond reach for most.

· Registered
29 Posts

Yup, 2014 Forte 2.0L at 63k miles here and burning through over 1qt every 1k miles. No leaks, new PCV valve, oil consumption done, and now Kia told the dealer to perform a combustion chamber cleaning. And if that doesn't fix the issue after another 1k mile, then they will repair the engine. But Kia wants me to pay $800 for the combustion chamber cleaning, for what is THEIR design issue.

Long story short, I called my extended warranty provider (as I am the second owner of the car), and they clearly indicated that the combustion chamber cleaning was a useless procedure, and to get the engine inspected. Which I am going to try and do at an independent mechanic, not a Kia dealer.

· Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S1 Intake
6,814 Posts
Yup, 2014 Forte 2.0L at 63k miles here and burning through over 1qt every 1k miles. No leaks, new PCV valve, oil consumption done, and now Kia told the dealer to perform a combustion chamber cleaning. And if that doesn't fix the issue after another 1k mile, then they will repair the engine. But Kia wants me to pay $800 for the combustion chamber cleaning, for what is THEIR design issue.

Long story short, I called my extended warranty provider (as I am the second owner of the car), and they clearly indicated that the combustion chamber cleaning was a useless procedure, and to get the engine inspected. Which I am going to try and do at an independent mechanic, not a Kia dealer.
I'm Curious - you say you are burning oil at 1 qt every 1K miles...do you see oil smoke in the exhaust, especially when accelerating? If yes, that would be an indication of bad valve seals. Your car is 8-9 years old. Mileage may be low but time and heat has a way of degrading parts.

I used to own cars for long periods - the first car I purchased I kept for 27 years - and sold it still running. I had to replace the valve seals and refresh the transmission seals roughly every 10 years because the rubber/neoprene seals would get hard and crack.

· Registered
29 Posts
I'm Curious - you say you are burning oil at 1 qt every 1K miles...do you see oil smoke in the exhaust, especially when accelerating? If yes, that would be an indication of bad valve seals. Your car is 8-9 years old. Mileage may be low but time and heat has a way of degrading parts.
The problem has developed of late, but I can't say I've seen oil smoke when accelerating. The dealer says there is no indication of and engine oil leak, so engine oil is being lost through the exhaust.

Given the original power train warranty (10 years / 100k miles), i would have thought the build / component quality of Kia's engines was way better... but it seems I was wrong. (as was Hyundai/Kia, of course lol)

· Registered
6,814 Posts
Here's a great summary of the current situation for Hyundai/Kia, with all the class action lawsuits, how they've treated the whistle blowing employee, and what they're facing regarding the excessive oil consumption issue: "If a recall is performed it would include some 15 million vehicles in the US alone." Hyundai and Kia's Decade of Very Troublesome Engines Continues
You do know that nearly every car manufacturer has negative press?

No car lasts forever. You bought a used car and have NO IDEA how the original owner drove it or took care of it yet you want to push a narrow narrative because of your bad luck.

I have not had a Kia let me down mechanically in 22 years...but I know things can break. I can tell you stories of nearly EVERY make of car where the owner just had plain bad luck.

· Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,905 Posts
You do know that nearly every car manufacturer has negative press?

No car lasts forever. You bought a used car and have NO IDEA how the original owner drove it or took care of it yet you want to push a narrow narrative because of your bad luck.

I have not had a Kia let me down mechanically in 22 years...but I know things can break. I can tell you stories of nearly EVERY make of car where the owner just had plain bad luck.
Yeah. I totally understand the frustration of the situation and wanting your issue to be a priority to others like it probably is to you. I’d hate to be in that situation and would be quite upset. However, the industry is huge and stuff like this happens all over the place, so it may not seem fair, and in a lot of cases it’s not, but that’s kind of just how it is. Being nice and cooperating with the dealer (and if necessary, reaching out to corporate) will likely get you farther than any lawsuit will. You start out talking lawsuit, nobody is gonna want to help.

· Registered
29 Posts
The car is Certified Pre-Owned hence underwent the Kia quality check, and had 16k miles on the odometer when I got it from the Kia dealer. Do you care to substantiate what specifically makes my narrative narrow?

· Registered
6,814 Posts
The car is Certified Pre-Owned hence underwent the Kia quality check, and had 16k miles on the odometer when I got it from the Kia dealer. Do you care to substantiate what specifically makes my narrative narrow?
I get it - you're unhappy your car has problems. You went from "I've got a problem" to "Look at this - Kia is Bad".

I can point you to people in your situation in the same "boat" with EVERY car manufacturer. Cars don't last forever. Cars break. It's unfortunate that you have this problem - work with the dealer to resolve it and let us know how it comes out. If you're going to the dealer and badmouthing them and threatening lawsuits...well, good luck with that approach.

· Registered
29 Posts
I get it - you're unhappy your car has problems. You went from "I've got a problem" to "Look at this - Kia is Bad".
I think you're taking it personally, but you shouldn't. But I understand. When I read about the engine seizing settlement, I was hoping something similar wasn't going to come up about my 2014 Kia Forte EX, and I was going to be lucky, but I had a nagging feeling... And unfortunately, that feeling has turned out to be foretelling of what was to come.

It's okay, I'm among the many unlucky, too bad my engine has VERY prematurely aged. It's probably a $3k to $6k loss for me just in residual value, but hey, that's life.

From recent personal research though, it's easy to see that Hyundai/Kia has a MAJOR quality control issue. And, many articles give a pretty good idea in terms of scope of the multiple issues. Several people have already pointed to a number of those articles on this very forum, they're easy to find.

But as they say, nothing replaces taking a step back, and Google is your friend. Do your own research, enjoy your car while it's working well, and I hope you had a merry Christmas!!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2016 Forte 2.0L at 77k miles. I've noticed my car is excessively burning oil. I checked for leaks, none, I replaced the PCV valve, and problem persists. Every 300-500 miles I have to add a quarter or two of motor oil (full synthetic). I called my dealership and they scheduled me for an "Oil Consumption Test". Has anyone experience this problem and had an oil consumption test on their Forte?
Yes. I'm on my 2nd Oil consumption test. Which is Bs. But I keep jumping through hoops and hopefully one day get a new engine

1 - 19 of 19 Posts