Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when driving on a clean pavement that the Forte is relatively quiet however if there is any debris whatsoever (even the slightest amount) you hear every little sound from the wheel wells. It could be leaves, twigs, sand, dirt or whatever on the road and if you drive over it it sounds so loud and clear as if it's in the interior of the vehicle.

I've owned many vehicles and have never had such excessive noise unless I was driving over a large amount of debris. Anyone else experience this? Is there any noise dampening material that could be applied to the wheel wells?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I sprayed on a few coats of rubberized coating.. It helped a tiny bit, but not as much as I wouldve liked.

Very thin sheetmetal combined with poor deadening = noise... KIA still has work ahead.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Undercoating might work a bit, i have noticed the factory undercoating is pretty low end. I have blown allot of it off at the car wash already.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No doubt neebaum, these little cars are noisey on rough pavement. Just crank up the tunes and forget about it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's funny Jay, I came from a Grand Marquis...same difference :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Definiteley noisier than the Mercury Marauder we traded in on all road surfaces. Less comfortable too. But highway fuel mileage is close to double. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've noticed that when driving on a clean pavement that the Forte is relatively quiet however if there is any debris whatsoever (even the slightest amount) you hear every little sound from the wheel wells. It could be leaves, twigs, sand, dirt or whatever on the road and if you drive over it it sounds so loud and clear as if it's in the interior of the vehicle.

I've owned many vehicles and have never had such excessive noise unless I was driving over a large amount of debris. Anyone else experience this? Is there any noise dampening material that could be applied to the wheel wells?
I think it may be the tires

·
Registered
217 Posts
It has nothing to do with the tires. The sheetmetal used for the wheelwells is simply to thin and there's not enough soundproofing material. KIA had to cut costs somewhere...
Actually, the wells are lined with thin plastic. I had one fall off from a defect when I first got my sedan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sprayed on a few coats of rubberized coating.. It helped a tiny bit, but not as much as I wouldve liked.

Very thin sheetmetal combined with poor deadening = noise... KIA still has work ahead.
I'll try anything at this point. My wife is really getting irritated by it and I have to listen to her every day as we carpool. So any little bit will help hopefully.

What exactly did you get? Do you have brand & name of the product and where you go it from? Thanks.

Anyone else got any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The TSB is for strut noise, not general road noise. IE the strut clanks when compressed...
Is is a known issue & is there a reference # for this issue? I lowered by car with Eibachs so I'm not sure if it's the springs or the struts but I do hear a clank every once in a while on the left front driver side.

Do you think they will fix even after I've swapped out springs?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Is it definitely coming from the wheel wells? I'm thinking it is coming from under the car, just past the wheel wells. Has anyone tried mudflaps to see if it reduces the noise? The sound is like gravel hitting metal and the wheel wells are lined with plastic. I have not done much investigating yet, but under the body seems more likely.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You can pop out your back seat and put down sound deadening mat. One of our members did it to his car and it made a big difference. Best to spray the under carriage also to protect from rock noise and rust. The plastic piece in the front is a splash guard not the actual wheel well which is under that and a thin metal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it definitely coming from the wheel wells? I'm thinking it is coming from under the car, just past the wheel wells. Has anyone tried mudflaps to see if it reduces the noise? The sound is like gravel hitting metal and the wheel wells are lined with plastic. I have not done much investigating yet, but under the body seems more likely.
You could be right. I just know I hear the sound and assumed it was the wheel wells. If someone could do some testing & a fix that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Neebaum,

There is a TSB out for the strut clank, unfortunately I don't have the number but if you search the forum you should be able to find it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts