Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the flex pipe replaced shortly after I got this car in Dec 19’ w/147k and now with 190k it’s starting to crack ever so slightly again. It wasn’t an actual flanged factory level piece i just had a local Lou’s weld in a new flex section.
I’m kinda an all or nothing type when it comes to replacement parts. Especially with exhaust pieces on older cars it’s almost impossible to replace individual sections once opposing flanges are permarusted together.

So instead of just doing another flex section I’m just gonna do everything from the cylinder head to the bumper.
Unfortunately I have the CA emissions model with the cat integrated into the exhaust manifold. Unfortunate because a new manifold is more expensive with the cat rather than just a plain manifold and it seems I have 3 02 sensors to replace now.
Questions are these. When looking for new 02 sensors rock auto lists a brand called Ultra Power as the OE supplier. I’m a firm believer that when it comes to emissions, ignition and electrical one should always go OE supplier. My questions about the 02 sensors are upstream downstream and bank 1 bank 2 are verbiage I’m seeing a lot of. It looks like there are 2 in the manifold/cat piece. 1 in the very top of the manifold and 1 right in the cat and there looks to be a third in the lower cat. Are the two in the manifold/cat both the same upstream sensor? If not is the top bank 1 and the bottom (in the cat) bank 2. I would imagine the one in the second cat is the downstream sensor. Do mechanics of these cars recommend one brand of 02 sensor over another? I know Bosch is an OEM supplier to many but I’ve never heard of Ultra Power and rockauto lists them as the OE.
Regarding the secondary pipe pieces beyond the manifold there is the flanged flex section, a second cat and then the resonator and muffler.
The flanged flex section attaches right off the manifold/cat and attaches to the second cat. So it sits between the manifold and the lower cat. Is that piece different between the Fed and CA emission model?
The lower cat is that different between the two emission systems?
Since the resonator and muffler have nothing to do with emission and are just for sound are those different between the two systems?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you sure it's Ultra power for OEM? NTK should be the OEM O2 sensors. Ultra Power are usually the cheapest junk you can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it's Ultra power for OEM? NTK should be the OEM O2 sensors. Ultra Power are usually the cheapest junk you can get.

that’s what they listed and the Ultra Power were the more expensive. I wonder if the sensors in the car now would indicate what brand they are

I’m having a much harder time determining if the piping is different between the Fed and CA. Why would the flex pipe matter? Why would the resonator and muffler matter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What year did you look up at Rockauto?..I just checked 2010- 2013 forte and all those years list NTK as OEM and Ultra power as economy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year did you look up at Rockauto?..I just checked 2010- 2013 forte and all those years list NTK as OEM and Ultra power as economy.
yeah I went back and saw they list UltraPower as OE But NTK as OE MFR so yeah NTK is what I’ll go with. I can only see 2 02 sensors one at the top of the manifold and one at the bottom of the stupid CA cat. I don’t see an 02 in the flex pipe or the cat. Is this normal to have just the 2 02 sensors. I am becoming aware of the differences between the Fed and CA emission models and I have the CA. But I’m in NH so I don’t have to replace with CARB parts. Does anyone know if the flex pipe resonator and muffler are in fact different between the two? The only place I can find the CA emission listed is from Kia and best case I can find the parts from an online Kia store would run me $730+ s/h and that’s just for the non cat piping pieces. I can get the SS flex pipe, res and muffler from Walker for around $300 so I’d much rather do that but all the places that sell these components only list them as Fed Emissions. Is there really a difference in the non cat piping pieces?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should only have 2 sensors. One before the cat and 1 after it. Is yours the 2.0 or 2.4? Difference in the pipes will be lengths. The lengths of the other pipes will be shorter on fed because of the separate cat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.0L Yes it’s confirmed 2 02’s. I can see where the Fed and CA are a different flex pipe as the collector flange of the Fed comes straight back and the CA sits almost perpendicular so that makes sense but the lower cat of both look to be the same (with the exception of the 02 port) and as both cars are the same car in terms of length the mid pipe and Muffler should be the same. Maybe the mid pipe may mount slightly differently to the CA cat but the axle back muffler section should be identical. This is gonna suck if I absolutely have to go through Kia to get replacement piping. The factory exhaust is very top quality but dang it’s expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2.0L Yes it’s confirmed 2 02’s. I can see where the Fed and CA are a different flex pipe as the collector flange of the Fed comes straight back and the CA sits almost perpendicular so that makes sense but the lower cat of both look to be the same (with the exception of the 02 port) and as both cars are the same car in terms of length the mid pipe and Muffler should be the same. Maybe the mid pipe may mount slightly differently to the CA cat but the axle back muffler section should be identical. This is gonna suck if I absolutely have to go through Kia to get replacement piping. The factory exhaust is very top quality but dang it’s expensive.
That might what my buddy need for his incoming Forte 2.0L project. We'll just finish installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler this week before we can take a closer look on the Forte.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts