Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a Facebook page on the paint issues. If you are having problems please stop by and mention it. I have a "sand blasting" effect on both sides of my car in front of the rear tires, and numerous rock chips all over the car. KIA will do nothing about it.

KIA Forte Koup paint chipping | Facebook
:mad:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
yeah I have some of those rock chips in front of the rear wheel too..
Can I ask what you hope to achieve with your facebook page.
If my question comes off as jerkish please forgive me.. I'm not trying to be
I'm honestly curious

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More curiosity than anything, I know the Soul has a lot of problems as well. I'm still fighting KIA over this and hopefully when I get a resolution it will help others.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Thats cool,its nice to see somebody with alittle fight in them ;)
I hope the facebook thing will help, I'll have to stop by there :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here is what I need to know. What exactly is it that is causing this? Any car is going to get chips in the paint so I am sure they are going to blame it on the driver and the conditions he/she is driving in. I drive 42 miles (38 of that highway) one way to work almost 6 days a week and haven't seen any chips in mine. knock on wood!!! I'm just curious here. Is it the paint, the design of the vehicle itself, roads you are driving?

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I guess I'll throw myself into the "doesn't have rock chips" category. And to make things more interesting I actually have rock chips on my rims but not on the car. Thats almost impressive, IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason for the chips is the lack of paint coverage. Paint should be thick enough to withstand the impact of a SMALL rock or sand. There are standards for painting vehicles with regards to thickness of the four layers that make up your paint job. When I asked KIA for the paint durablity data (thickness) for my car, they refused to give it to me. My main problem is that the debris is hitting the same spot on both sides of my car and its chipping the way too thin paint off all around where they put that little strip of clear "protection tape". I think they knew there was an aero problem and thats why it's there.

I live in Connecticut, and commute 15 minutes to work each way, 2/3 highway and 1/3 back roads. I'm ordering mud flaps to protect from any further damage but it's a bandaid at best. Mud flaps will not magically increase the thickness of the paint and solve the problem. Flaps are standard equipped in Canada, makes you wonder again.

I'll be having my paint thickness tested soon and will post the results which I'm sure will show just how shockingly thin the paint is.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looking forward to seeing those results, perhaps when you present that data to Kia they'll cover the paint?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the point. When I have the results it will show they are allowing the cars to be painted in violation of the standards and will have no choice. Most if not all car makers do not run the paint shops at thier plants, it's usually run by the paint vendor ie Dupont or PPG. In order so save money the paint vendors skimp on the paint. It's already been proven in Ford's F-150 and Fusion.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was just trying to buff out a new scratch and I literally just scratched the car again by my fingernail gently touching. I have short cut blunt finger nails. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had a tech put a new windscreen in my car,
and while he was doing that I ended up with another scratch.. :(
this paint Sucks..
its not like the guy even really touched the paint I was watching him the whole time..
Plus my car was clean too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No need for the test, they came through before I had to do it. My measurements would not help you, each car needs to be done. Most body shops have the tool needed to measure the thickness. My car is being repainted next week while I'm having surgery, we should recover about the same time :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Jeez how did you convince them to repaint the car? I went to the dealership today and they wouldn't even repair the small piece of rust because it's "from a rock chip" EVEN THOUGH IT'S ON THE PILLAR ON THE SIDE OF THE REAR WINDSHIELD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After the district manager looked at my car there was no denying it, most of my damage was in front of the rear tires where the protective strip is. The damage was symetrical in nature and no way could have been "random". The protective strip is not wide enough to cover the area that gets damaged. And with the paint being so thin it just chips right off. I also have chips up where you are talking about, that comes from the front tire debris as well. Take your car to a body shop and get the paint thickness measured if you need to, most paint shops will likely not even charge you for it. Be ready to fight, I was willing to take mine to court if I needed to but they decided to do the right thing after rejecting me twice and seeing my car up close, pictures did not show it well enough.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm seeing tiny little rust spots on the car already after one winter... thanks for posting this info Badger!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts