Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sorry for the noob question, this is my first post and despite searching for like an hour i havent found anything definitive to answer this question with yet.

I work for a reputable JL Audio dealer in Rochester, NY and i'm currently building a JL system for the my Koup SX. Since i'm going to retain the factory head unit the one thing holding me back right now is not knowing if there s any kind of factory amplifier located remotely with the car, or is the stock speakers are powered by the head unit itself.

thanks for the help!
--Dave

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
there is no amplifier. the speaker are powered buy the head unit. and since you work a car audio place you will know that mean (if you want a sub) you'll need a Line Out Converter or a Crossover. or something of the like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i plan on doing a full system with a 4 channel, new door speakers, and a sub/amp. no line out converters for me though. JL Clean Sweep :)

Thank you though for that information, I had shoulder surgery 2 days ago so i couldnt exactly tear the car apart and look for myself, and its remarkably hard to come across a straight out answer to that

·
Registered
39 Posts
i plan on doing a full system with a 4 channel, new door speakers, and a sub/amp. no line out converters for me though. JL Clean Sweep :)

Thank you though for that information, I had shoulder surgery 2 days ago so i couldnt exactly tear the car apart and look for myself, and its remarkably hard to come across a straight out answer to that
Well unless you are customer making a dash or having someone do it for you...line out converters are your only choice. Ohh nvm I see what you mean by clean sweep but I'm pretty sure thats still a line out converter.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts

Do not I repeat DO NOT use a cleansweep!

It was the first LOC I used and it absolutely butchered the sound. I did a rant on this a while back, and the only thing we could figure is that the forte's eq is so flat that it confuses a cleansweep! I'm not joking, and if you pm me your phone number I will tell you the whole story, it sounded incredibly compressed after 3 tries with the setup disc by a local Jl dealer here. We couldnt figure it out!

I suggest goin with a good quality LOC, preferably an active one, or for instance an audison bit one, or a ReQ. I used a cache coe6 and I think a number of people who've heard my forte will vouch for it's quality of sound. I'm running all jl c5's in the doors, off a 300/4v2 and two 10w6v2s each with their own 500/1. Along with that I have a kinetic hc600 in the back.

Please do not use a cleansweep. It will kill the sound and the extra knob is just a pain in the ass! (you shouldn't alter the hu volume when running a cleansweep as they say factory hu's can change eq or limit frequencies at higher volumes.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
If you go to the jlaudio.com website you can lookup all the products I mentioned above save the kinetic battery and the cache loc. Aside from that I have the jl audio wiring kit for 1500w rms and an extra 4way fuse holder for all the amps and the rear battery. I would recommend going to a reputable car audio installer if you want to "do it right," as you can give them a budget, and they'll give you specs of the gear they sell and you can come back here and ask opinions. If you ate looking for build logs, do a search for all my posts.

I plan on doing a complete vuild log obe day and compile everything from the old forte found and this one but it will be some time as I haw very little right now.

D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts