Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Forte comes with a standard factory car alarm? I don't see anything in the manual and I always thought that new cars all come with a factory car alarm where it will give the honking if someone forces open the door when it's locked and will lock out the ignition if you don't use one of the keys with a chip in it. Does the Forte have this?

What about aftermarket car alarms? Has anyone installed one on their new car yet? I'm looking at a 2-way alarm with auto start from Viper. I know that some auto start alarms don't allow for ignition starts on some models that have manual transmissions. Any thoughts or concerns about installing it on a new Forte?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The standard features on the Forte operate as you described as far as honking when a door is opened forcibly. I have not tried a key without the chip in my Kia but the same type of system works as you describe in most other cars I have had experience with.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Canada is different from the US models. Canadians have an immobilizer. The keys are coded to your car. (the keys have a chip/resistance built in them). Also to you should have a key fob to lock and unlock your car. If you don't have a key fob see if the dealer can get one and then code it for your car. Also if you do have a key fob press the lock button twice and that will arm the system. you should see the 4 ways lights flash once and a beep from the horn. If you don't, go to the dealer a switch may be open or the the horn is turned off in customizations. A GDS (factory scan tool) will need to be used..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I do have the key fob and it does flash the 4 ways (well 6 ways with the mirrors!) and honks once when I press the lock twice on the fob. I wasn't sure that it actually arms an alarm when doing this as I didn't see anything in the manual and there is no flashing light on the dash or instrument panel like most other cars have when the alarm is active.

I may still invest in an aftermarket alarm to stop anyone from smashing a window and taking anything out of the car. The auto start feature on most alarms would be nice in the cold winters and hot summers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't see anything in the book about this. It says nothing about the beep meaning the alarm is on. ??

All doors are locked if the lock button is
pressed. If all doors (and trunk) are
closed, the hazard warning lights will
blink once to indicate that all doors (and​
trunk) are locked.

Also, if the lock button is pressed once
more within 4 seconds, the hazard warning
lights will blink and the chime will
sound once to confirm that the door is
locked.
However, if any door remains open, the
hazard warning lights (and/or the chime)
will not operate. But if all doors are
closed after the lock button is pressed,​
the hazard warning lights will blink once.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
The auto start feature on most alarms would be nice in the cold winters and hot summers.
I can tell you it's greath!! Been using my remote start for a mouth now!
I don't know if they're all the same but mine (on my 6speed SX Koup) is kinda weird. To arm it you have to engage the hand brake, release the clutch (obviously not in gear) then remove the key. At that point the car is still running and it keep doing so untill I open and close the driver door.
It automaticaly lock the doors after 1 minutes or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info. I do have the key fob and it does flash the 4 ways (well 6 ways with the mirrors!) and honks once when I press the lock twice on the fob. I wasn't sure that it actually arms an alarm when doing this as I didn't see anything in the manual and there is no flashing light on the dash or instrument panel like most other cars have when the alarm is active.

I may still invest in an aftermarket alarm to stop anyone from smashing a window and taking anything out of the car. The auto start feature on most alarms would be nice in the cold winters and hot summers.
Make sure you use the one that can be purchased at the dealer, it is made too fit the KIA. If something happens they can fix it in the future. Plus you dont have to butcher the wires to make it won't like the other brands.

If someone smashes a window the KIA alarm will sound..

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Make sure you use the one that can be purchased at the dealer, it is made too fit the KIA. If something happens they can fix it in the future. Plus you dont have to butcher the wires to make it won't like the other brands.

If someone smashes a window the KIA alarm will sound..
Can someone find me a part number for the OEM Remote Starter for the Forte/ It's not available in Canada yet and I'd like to see if I can get it out of the US.

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, I went into my dealership last night and asked and the salesguy said that the Forte isn't equipped with any kind of alarm system, just the panic button that blasts the horn from the keyfob. He said that they don't have an OEM alarm for it yet but any alarm or starter/alarm combo would be fine on it as long as it's installed by a pro.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What kind of new car, top model of a line of vehicle, doesnt come with an alarm. I never put 2 and 2 together until reading this topic. This guy; not too impressed; I guess I should have looked into it more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where you from Rez? In US Market if you have a keyfob and it flashes the 4 ways when you press lock twice you have an alarm..In Canada you have an immobilizer

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of new car, top model of a line of vehicle, doesnt come with an alarm. I never put 2 and 2 together until reading this topic. This guy; not too impressed; I guess I should have looked into it more.
I was very surprised that it didn't come with a factory alarm seeing as it has every other feature on the SX as standard. The salesguy says that they don't put an alarm on their compact line of vehicles but all of the vehicles above the Forte have it either as an option or standard. I had a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE with the leather/sunroof package and that package put on a factory alarm. The trim levels below that one didn't come with one either.

I think that I'll end up getting an alarm/starter installed aftermarket instead of waiting for the KIA version of the alarm. The remote starter would be great considering that it has leather seats.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Ya, I went into my dealership last night and asked and the salesguy said that the Forte isn't equipped with any kind of alarm system, just the panic button that blasts the horn from the keyfob. He said that they don't have an OEM alarm for it yet but any alarm or starter/alarm combo would be fine on it as long as it's installed by a pro.
I recently emailed KIA Canada asking them why some options are available in the US and not in Canada. He is a direct quote fron their "Consumer Affairs Deptartment"

The products and services offerings by Kia Canada are not exactly the same as Kia Motors America. Vehicle packaging and Accessory Options differs between Canada and the United States on many vehicle lines. I have communicated directly with KIA Canada’s Parts & Accessories Department, who has confirmed that the Cargo Tray Accessory is being released, however at this time it is being tested by KIA Canada’s Quality Assurance Department. Further to that, they have advised that KIA Canada has just released a body kit for the KIA Forte, which includes a front, rear and side skirts; a rear spoiler is also available for purchase, separate from the body kit.

I would like to take this opportunity to advise you that KIA Canada does not offer an authorized Remote Starter System for the KIA Forte at this time. We do not recommend installing an aftermarket remote starter in the vehicle as, if the installation is performed incorrectly or a repair needs to be made because of the aftermarket part, KIA Canada’s warranty will not cover the parts that are damaged due to the remote starter. The aftermarket part can cause certain malfunctions or electronic issues to the vehicle; we advise that you not use them, as the warranty can be voided to the parts damaged due to the aftermarket part. For more information on the warranty, please consult your Warranty & Consumer Information Manual provided in your vehicle glove compartment, which came with your Owner’s Manual. Further to that Mr. Best, KIA Canada will not be offering the Billet Oil Cap as an accessory for the KIA Forte, I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

As the KIA Forte was recently released, KIA Canada’s Parts & Accessories Department is working to ensure that you will have many available options to customize your KIA Forte to your expectations. Not all accessories available in the United States will be sold in Canada, and vice versa, as some accessories developed for KIA Canada’s vehicles are domestically manufactured, specifically for sale in Canada. New accessories are always being investigated and developed however, so be sure to keep checking KIA Canada’s Accessories Page for the KIA Forte (2010 Forte Accessories) for any updates.

Double check with your dealer and maybe have them recommend the installer they use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm getting a Viper 5901 installed as I write this!
I sure hope that install it and get the correct interface with IPM. I would wait and get the correct kit installed with the remote start even thought you don't have to use it..

Only problem is that you get an 18yr old hacking into you wire harness and if you have any problems in the future to troubleshoot your system, he has to be around or the company to remove it and put it back to stock..Imagine the tow bill if it doesn't start? That comes out of your pocket..

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
It's done..beautiful job too. This shop is one of the premium one's here in Toronto. No 18 yr olds were involved in the install =)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd like to know that as well. Kia London wants $600+tx for a starter. There's no way in hell I'm paying that much. How much was your starter and installation if you don't mind me asking?

All manufacturers like to push us around with their warranty, but they have to prove that it was the aftermarket part that caused the fault. If that's the case, then you're responsible for the repair. If it's not, you should fight them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any remote starter, whether it's OE or not, requires cutting and splicing of wires. As long as it's done at the dealer, it should have warranty. And the Forte does require a chipped key, FYI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts