Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my audio system soon & will be paying a professional at my dealership to install. He said if I buy everything, installation will be $150, assuming I keep my factory stereo. I dunno how much it will be to switch to an aftermarket HU, but should I keep factory or go aftermarket? Would I keep my sirius satellite if I upgraded? And also, on some HUs, theres an option to mute subwoofers (because most HUs have a dedicated sub pre-out). How would I do that if I kept my factory stereo, if I chose to? Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm upgrading my audio system soon & will be paying a professional at my dealership to install. He said if I buy everything, installation will be $150, assuming I keep my factory stereo. I dunno how much it will be to switch to an aftermarket HU, but should I keep factory or go aftermarket? Would I keep my sirius satellite if I upgraded? And also, on some HUs, theres an option to mute subwoofers (because most HUs have a dedicated sub pre-out). How would I do that if I kept my factory stereo, if I chose to? Thanks!

-I have yet to see a dash kit to replace the head unit. So unless you make one, or find one....what can you do.
-With the bluetooth, sat, aux, usb, ipod, steering controls....i found no reason to switch out my head unit. I love it. The only downside is requiring a line converter to hook up subs for lows. Not optimal quality, but its just bass anyway so no big deal.
-$150 is too much for me, unless you are changing out doors, adding line converter, controller nob, and cables for amps. I paid $60 to have my amp mounted and hooked up, line converter installed, and controller nob mounted.
-You can get a controller for your sub amp. Like a volume control you can just turn them down to zero if you want to kill the subs.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Dealerships are typically the worst audio installers. They do not have the typical tools, wood, know-how to install audio. Chances are too that the money goes straight into the mechanic and salesguys pocket too. If they say it's a warranty thing, it's BS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the guy & he told me he isn't employed by the dealership, they just call him when people need him for custom audio, certain body works, etc. Also, the dealership told me $150 but when I spoke to him, he said if I have everything I need & plan on keeping my factory, he charges $50. I'm not sure of his quality of work but does this sound like a good deal?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
It's a good deal, but I'd still go to an actual store as you can fall back on them for failures. And they should warranty there work. This guy could suddenly be too busy all the time to fix anything

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Dealerships are typically the worst audio installers. They do not have the typical tools, wood, know-how to install audio. Chances are too that the money goes straight into the mechanic and salesguys pocket too. If they say it's a warranty thing, it's BS.
you know- if i was a kia dealer-
1) i'd have a stable of good mech techs
2) i'd have at least one body tech
3) i'd have a good audio tech.

i am sure i am missing a tech or two- but seriously-
kia is fighting against the whole japan market-
they need to arm their dealerships with folks that are gonna
kick back to japan

·
Registered
114 Posts
hey if u find a kit for an aftermarket head unit please let us know

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Hey guys, I had a head unit kit saved in my favorites for a double-DIN HU. I'm not sure that was what you were looking at Kenneth but here is the the site.
http://juzkars.com/
I'd give you the link to it but currently the site is down for maintenance. I'll check back with them later but if I remember correctly your looking at about $100 for this thing since they customize a whole new center console to accomidate a new HU. I have to say this is one area where KIA did NOT think things through. They set this car up as tuner car and made it WAY too hard to install a new HU, IMO.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I Spoke to Metra the other day and they will be offering a double din kit in October.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.