Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've read through the instructions on these...so how hard is it REALLY? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this one makes me a little nervous. Share your experience!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i personally didnt do it myself. i took it to a friend who did it for cheap. but there's a trick. most kits wont work with the new style of the H11B thats in the forte. refer to Kenny C's thread or my thread Bulb Q's for how to do it. im not very savvy with cars but watching him do it i learned a little bit. he did it in about 45 min. the tricky part was finding where to mount the ballasts. i'll post pictures later if needed but its dark right now. if you are car savvy and think you can do it, go for it. we didnt need the instructions cuz he's been putting HID kits in cars for a while and new what to do. it wasnt too bad. wish i would have taken more pictures of the process but i was too busy helpin when i could and watchin so i could learn. kinda made me want to go to school to learn about cars and maybe work in a shop like he does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ya it is very simple, I'm 19 and have been working on cars since I was a kid, but if you have mechanical experience you should be ok. It also probably helps that I'm and electrician also haha...but if you know how to work on cars you should be ok...I did it in about 30 mins max, if not less. And like Aidensgrand said, the hardest part is mounting the ballast.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mounting

i mounted one ballast where the power steering fluid is. i just un screwed the powersteering screws and put the bracket holes where the screws went and then remounted the powersteering fluid holder. the other ballast is snug behind the battery. since you have to take the battery out to get the left light done, i just put it behind it and then put the battery back in when i was finished. no rattling what so ever. i love the new lights. idk why more ppl dont have them. your seeing distance doubles at night.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there arent really many places to mount the ballasts. if i were to do it again, i would have ordered a kit with a skinny ballast set cuz then i could have just zip tied them somewhere cuz theyre so small. if any1 else that has put a kit in found a better spot than behind the battery like i did, pls let me know so i can do the same.

·
Registered
178 Posts
there arent really many places to mount the ballasts. if i were to do it again, i would have ordered a kit with a skinny ballast set cuz then i could have just zip tied them somewhere cuz theyre so small. if any1 else that has put a kit in found a better spot than behind the battery like i did, pls let me know so i can do the same.
I had the skinny ballast kit, so I just zip tied it, one to the front bumper beam on the driver side in front of the battery, and the other is sitting on top of the windshield washer fluid tank and is zip tied to the wires haha

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had the skinny ballast kit, so I just zip tied it, one to the front bumper beam on the driver side in front of the battery, and the other is sitting on top of the windshield washer fluid tank and is zip tied to the wires haha
That's where mine are mounted...you can't even tell they're there. I used double sided tape though.

Glad I could help Aidensgrand. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts