Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, got my first unfortunate problem with my Koup. Since a few weeks the front dome lamp switch that turn the lights ON when the doors open would not work. Brought to dealer over the week end and it turns out that the electrical switch to set the lights to the Off/Door position is broken. The stuff seem fragile in any case, one of the pins snapped and it won't work now. Dealer says warranty does not cover electrical components. Any one had the same issue? Apparently the whole front dome light set needs to be changed... :confused:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I believe a few guys I know have had this issue and it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
yes- i am on that list of folks whos domelight rocker switch broke- within first week i am pretty sure....havent had the fun of dealing w/the dealership over it yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i got my whole front console that houses the dome lights sunroof switch and on/off light switch replaced under warranty through my dealer...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes tampajoey it stopped working in the first week. On my first servicing they forgot to check it and its only at the second servicing that they removed it and said they could not repair.

I need to check with the dealer again why he suggested that this was not under warranty...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
lol bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover electrical... thats a funny dealership guy, must have been telling a joke.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Sounds like a widespread problem.

One Koup I was planning to buy had a broken dome light switch, too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dear Inspirone,
Your problem is covered under KIA'a warranty.
You may have to phone in directly to KIA customer service
to report that particular dealer. Approximately how many Dealers are there
in Mauritius?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Only one dealer in Mauritius... and that as well I heard they will lose the dealership to another local competitor as from January 2011. Kia is not renewing their dealership...

Edit: Guys, those who of you who got theirs changed, is it reliable after the change? I mean is the replacement of better quality and does it last now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
lol bumper to bumper warranty doesn't cover electrical... thats a funny dealership guy, must have been telling a joke.
Why is this funny?

While they are wrong about electrical, there are plenty of things that are technically between the bumpers that are not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Tires and glass are two of the bigger ones, but there are a ton of others if you really look at the warranty's fine print.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got my whole front console that houses the dome lights sunroof switch and on/off light switch replaced under warranty through my dealer...
Is the replacement of better quality???

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
They just swap it for a new part that is exactly the same. It is not modified in any way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They have replaced the switch on mine today. Just need to be more careful now as it could snap again if too much force is applied to it... by default I have put it on Door

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
what really sucks about mine breaking--- all i did was touch it while reaching up to the sunroof control- missed the sunroof control- ran finger over the dome light switch- then next time i got out of the car- i couldnt figure out why the inside of the car was stayin so dark.... mine must have been "pre-broken" and set into "door lights on" mode when i touched it - making it go to off.......
sure makes leaving for work at 0600 fun lol

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Mine broke back in may, had it fixed while the oil was being changed. Warranty should cover that, try another dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I've had the same problem. Sound like it isn't worth replacing the switch if they keep breaking. I see its just a tab breaks off. I think am just going to super glue mine in place.

·
Registered
238 Posts
in some weird way but sunglasses holder got a gap in the plastic causing it to never stay shut...if anything "break" that, and they replace the entire unit.(dome switch, sunroof switch, etc.)

·
Registered
791 Posts
my light switch under my vanity mirror I believe they called it, broke and they fixed with no problem. A little plastic clip broke BC my friend thought it was a button not a switch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.