Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So when we bought my wife's Forte5 from Nationwide Kia of Maryland and as we buckled in to leave we quickly noticed the driver's seat belt was malfunctioning (two weeks ago mind you). The seat belt for all intents and purposes works properly, but the adjustment mechanism on the B-piller is jammed.

We waited about a week to take it back because of scheduling details, but Nationwide got their hands on it briefly last week (wednesday). I dropped it off got a loaner and went on my way. Interestingly enough, I got a phone call within 10-minutes of my departure asking me what was wrong with it because the service guy looked at it and didn't see a problem. Apparently they misunderstood me or something got lost in the paraphrasing of my service report because they thought we only had a problem with the seat belt connection. So I explained what was wrong (again) and they give it another go.

35-minutes later I got another call..."Yup its broke, we need to order parts that will not come in until monday afternoon, so come and get your car." So we get the car later in the day because we had things to do and it was supposed to be washed up prior to my arrival anyway. Which I confirmed over the phone and it was clearly stamped on the service report. So this is where things go downhill, to my dismay the car was not even washed and on top of that we had to wait about 45-minutes to an hour before we could collect our keys and speak with the service manager about coming in for our next visit.

To his credit, the manager was extremely occupied with another customer who was livid about them not even servicing her husbands car and the fact that they lost their keys (they ended up being in an envelope on someone's desk all day). It was somewhat entertaining, but then it got old.

To add on to my early dissatisfaction with Nationwide, we went ahead and scheduled a tenative appointment with them to bring the car in on monday evening and to get a loaner once we received a confirmation that the parts were in. We were told we would receive a phone call from the service manager on monday (yesteday) confirming all of this, but we did not. My wife called yesterday around 1pm to check-in and was only able to leave a voice message with the manager, but we did not receive a call back until this morning. So apparently the parts are in and we can drop it off tonight to fix the seat belt. God help them if they do not wash the car when we pick it up tomorro, my wife will be livid.

So here's my conclusing and main complaint...to his credit, Fred the service manager of Nationwide Kia, which is handled at Nationwide's central Nissan service center, does an ok job of handling A LOT of clients and I am sure he has his good and bad days like the rest of us. From my observations they have him handling Kia and Nissan vehicles which I feel is too much for him. Granted he could probably handle it a bit better, but I do feel like he has a very loaded plate so I understand a bit.

Additionally, I think Nationwide's Service Center has some huge holes in its service department and how it is managed. There seems to be almost zero level of formal process control for handling overnight drop-box keys, there is not enough dedicated Kia reps on hand and from the looks of it the cashier's office is overworked and understaffed as well. On top of all of that, I think Nationwide has outgrown its britches a bit and has too much going on in that central service center. For as big as they are as a company, they certainly could do themselves a service by expanding and rennovating their service department.

Sorry for the rant...Wish us luck!

Now for a small Kia/Hyundai rant...why and the hell do you not stock quarts of oil for customer purchase? I want to change the oil in the car around 3000 miles because I feel 7500 is too long for break-in mileage oil to be in the car. So I have been gathering the parts required to do the service, but alas I cannot find a Kia/Hyundai brand of oil at any of my local dealerships. All they stock is bulk oil drums for service or some other brand name oil (i.e. pennzoil, mobil etc). So I am giving up a bit on that and I guess I will be searching out an acceptable brand of oil for her 3000 mile oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
My dealer uses Castrol for all oil changes. I've never heard of a Kia brand of oil.
From the list of issues you've had, I would take it to the General Manager.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Lucky for me my Dealer has a world class service center with free beverages and snacks. Not to mention the LCD flat screen that has your name listed on it with updates on the car's progress....kinda cool like a Surgical Unit in a Hospital

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Lucky for me my Dealer has a world class service center with free beverages and snacks. Not to mention the LCD flat screen that has your name listed on it with updates on the car's progress....kinda cool like a Surgical Unit in a Hospital
Wow, mine is an old Saturn dealer that has hastily been transformed into a Kia dealership. Just an old TV and a couple of chairs while you wait.

I bought a cabin air filter and 3 oil filters there and when I got home, the box for the air filter was empty. I went back the next day and the service guy didn't believe me and asked that I come back again in 3 days when the guy I bought the parts from was in.

Livid, I went and found a manager. He did straighten things out and got me a filter. I think I will buy from the internet from now on.

This was Kia in Norwood, MA

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I lucked out with my Kia dealership lol. Very organized, helpful, mechanics are laid back and easy to talk to and the place looks nice. Then again, it's a Kia/Nissan/Honda dealer and they are GT-R certified. I always see either a black or grey Nissan GT-R in the Nissan showroom. Huge plasma TV in the waiting room, lots of magazines and food. The Kia manager is a milf and I test drove their Kia Soul Sport, picked up my father from work and brought him back to the dealership. All in all like a 50 minute ride. Peter's Honda/Kia/Nissan in Nashua, NH. My father bought a Honda Pilot there a few years ago and he's never had an issue with them. I'm glad I don't have a shady and poorly run dealership that I've read about in these forums. Only thing is my dealership loves to ask me what I've done to the car which I reply, "Nothing under the hood." ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also am sorry to hear about your service experience. Hopefully this dealer can provide decent service in the future, but based on your description, I'd check on other dealers in your area.

Just so you know, a dealer cannot stock every part and it's not unreasonable to order parts. As a rule, most car brands will have a system of daily part deliveries to dealers with most part orders filled within a week.

If there is Kia-branded motor oil (and I doubt it), you don't want it. Many of these "house brand" oils are remanufactured oil. Your best bet it to buy any well-known brand of 5W-20 oil (the weight your SX requires) at your local auto parts store. I would recommend conventional oil until you have a few more miles on the clock. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well as far as things went with dropping off the car so that work could be done, all went really well and fast actually. We got there tuesday evening and the Kia guy, Fred, already had everything prepared for us with another service guy. Were in and out with our demo in 10-minutes.

Today went ok as well, I am not 100% sure they washed the car because it was already really clean when we delivered it thanks to heavy cleaning we did Monday evening. It was definitely not vacuumed. Whatever, they typically do a poor wash job anyway. The turn-in pick-up exchange went smooth and fast. Our only complaint is that we would have prefered to get some personal information from the service rep that handled our case. No one else knew what was going on with our car, so we left with a fixed car, no answers and a spare part on the floor mat (looks like an interior clip).

Overall I would still rank this dealership on the "just below average" level. Even the Nationwide Infiniti dealer I take my car to leaves me with a feeling of filth down my back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts