Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Hoping I can gain some guidance on the root cause of a unusual occurrence regarding the brake lights of my 2011 Kia Cerato Koup 2.0 auto.

As per the video found via the url link.

It is evident that when I apply brakes on my car the brake lights light up as they should however they stay solid for a while and then start flashing as seen.

If I depress the brakes and step on the brakes again the brake later are again solid for a few seconds and then start flashing as seen.

All other lights and electronic functions work as they should.
Car starts first swing with out the starter sounding labored, the electric windows and sunroof open and shut at the required pace without sounding labored as well.

My first thoughts are a suspect earth, bit if that was the case it would affect the rest of the cars electronics.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rich

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I'd start with the brake light switch on the pedal.
Is your cruise control reliable?
Any chance the rubber bumper the brake light switch plunger hits on the arm is damaged or gone? The rubber bumper in my daughter's 2010 Forte just broke apart from age - this caused the brake lights to flash on and off - but not like in your video!
In the brake switch is a very thin metal contact - I'm wondering if that is fluttering as it heats up?

·
Registered
496 Posts
This flashes, as if someone put a blink relay in between. Did you buy this car new or 2nd hand? Look for a relay with a time delay. The flashing is wayyy too controlled for a bad contact.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
This flashes, as if someone put a blink relay in between. Did you buy this car new or 2nd hand? Look for a relay with a time delay. The flashing is wayyy too controlled for a bad contact.
Maybe someone switched or attached the brake wiring with the turn signal wiring?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Could be, although the turn signal relay does not have a time delay. I read an article some time ago, that in Europe (if my memory serves me well), they work on brake lights, which start to flash, if you press your brakes really hard = in an emergency, as opposed to a normal stop as eg. at a stop sign. It's not very difficult to buy and hook-up a blinking relay with a time delay to your brake light wiring.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
A new one for us Americans...
However, according to the European requirements the flashing should only occur for heavy stopping (whatever THAT means) NOT for normal stops. We don't have that issue over here...glad to say...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input....I bought the car second hand and my immediate thought was a flasher relay but I don't want to start taking things apart. I did however pry open the trunk cladding and flexible interior panels in and around the tail lights and could not find anything. Also I inspected the conduit or plastic trunking that houses the wiring in and around the tail lights and it appears to be un disturbed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe someone switched or attached the brake wiring with the turn signal wiring?
Turn signals function properly, and the brake light flashing occurs irrespective of the turn signal indicators being on or off.
None of the other lights are affected in anyway.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for your input....I bought the car second hand and my immediate thought was a flasher relay but I don't want to start taking things apart. I did however pry open the trunk cladding and flexible interior panels in and around the tail lights and could not find anything. Also I inspected the conduit or plastic trunking that houses the wiring in and around the tail lights and it appears to be un disturbed.
OK, so perhaps you can have someone depress the pedal, while the engine is off, so you can try and listen for the ticking of the relay. That will give you a better idea, if there is a relay and where it may be located. I personally would have looked around the fuse boxes.
And if you can hear a relay tick, why don't you just keep it like that? Of course, if it isn't street legal and you risk a ticket, then I'd fix it for sure, otherwise, let it flash.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Another thought...after having been educated on brake light requirements for cars built in other Countries...I'm guessing the brake system has a built in flasher of it's own for this and that is what I'd look for. Is there a separate flasher for the brakes listed in any of the fuse box locations in your owner's manual? A defective flasher could cause them to flash too soon.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
50 Posts
Take it to the dealership. I had something similar and they told me they replaced a module or relay behind the instrument cluster. Cost me about $300 to have fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take it to the dealership. I had something similar and they told me they replaced a module or relay behind the instrument cluster. Cost me about $300 to have fixed.
Oh man that's awesome. I thought it was going to be much worse than that.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your response.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Forte5 EX
50 Posts
Oh man that's awesome. I thought it was going to be much worse than that.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your response.
Hopefully it's the same exact thing for you. The dealership I went to had to reach out to Kia for assistance but they fixed it with about 2 hours of labor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts