Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my flip key from ebay from dsp.store : this one to be exact Folding Remote Key Case for KIA Soul Forte : eBay Motors (item 180492734304 end time Apr-18-10 09:05:22 PDT)

Everyone had been saying that you need to open the key in order to take out the chip in it, otherwise even with the key cut inside of the flip key, it would not start the engine, however I left my keys on my desk in my office and went out to my car and was able to start the car with the flip key with no chip in it...

Now my keys were at least 30 feet from the car I would guesstimate, which is a lot further than I would expect the chip to work from, so I am wondering why this is? Do I really not need to transfer the chip?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180492734304&viewitem=

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your car starts without the chip, I can only see it as one of two things:

1. Your car does not have an immobilizer unit.
2. Your car's immobilizer unit is malfunctioning.

When I first cut my flip key, I forgot to put in the chip. It wouldn't start, not even with my real key in the car. Not even with me holding up my real key next to the ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
At least you got a good blank with yours. I order the same one took 4 weeks to get it and then on top of that they sent the wrong blank even though I specifically told them the correct one.

Anyone take pictures opening up their key to get the chip out? A nice fit would be nice

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm...I wonder what the deal is.

However I can't seem to get the remote to line up correctly with the buttons on the front, I can get the lock button to work but I've not been able to get the unlock button to work, I think my remote circuit board is sliding down farther than it should be, did you have any issues with that?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least you got a good blank with yours. I order the same one took 4 weeks to get it and then on top of that they sent the wrong blank even though I specifically told them the correct one.

Anyone take pictures opening up their key to get the chip out? A nice fit would be nice
The store sent me instructions on how to take the chip out with a whole bunch of pictures.

Yea, they sent me two different blanks, I had to switch the blank that was in the key with the extra one they gave me.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The store sent me instructions on how to take the chip out with a whole bunch of pictures.

Yea, they sent me two different blanks, I had to switch the blank that was in the key with the extra one they gave me.
Not me. Lol. I got two blanks but both were wrong. Any
chance you would want to copy / scan the paper and PDF it and email it to me?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Canadian Fortes have the immobilizer and the US Fortes have the alarm system. The chip is only in the Canadian keys, or at least that is what my dealership told me. I went in asking mainly because I was really surprised that there was no alarm on the car. I was told that we (Canadians) have the immobilizer with the chip in the key, whereas the US cars get the factory alarm with no immobilizer. If he was correct, then that would explain why your car starts without the "chipped" key, because the key doesn't have a chip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes that sounds correct. i have the ex and installed a remote starter and did not need to hide a chip for he remote to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I bought the exact same flip key and had it cut, i tested it out before putting the chip inside, because its a US model, it wasn't necessary to have it installed. Had two blanks both cut for free and worked perfectly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phew, I'm so glad I tested it and posted here before I cut open my key, that sure saved me the hassle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
no need to kut the original just need the blade cut,, i recommend Lowes since they will do it for free, and do a pretty good job, and respectable locksmith will do it for 100 USD. I like free better, and they work.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you don't put a chip from the original key to the flip, won't you not be able to use the lock/unlock buttons on the flip key?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no need to kut the original just need the blade cut,, i recommend Lowes since they will do it for free, and do a pretty good job, and respectable locksmith will do it for 100 USD. I like free better, and they work.
I meant cut the key open to get at the chip inside.

If you don't put a chip from the original key to the flip, won't you not be able to use the lock/unlock buttons on the flip key?
I have no chip in mine, and the lock/unlock buttons work just fine. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The unlock/lock remote will work without the chip on both Canadian and US models because the chip is only required on Canadian models to bypass the immobilizer. Without it, there is no signal to the immobilizer to allow the starter to fire and for the engine to turn over.

In order to get the chip out of the key, all you need to do is take a razor blade or box cutter to your Forte key and cut the rubber head of the key. The chip is a really small flat piece that is embedded in the rubber head of the key. I would recommend cutting horizontally along the head piece to separate the rubber in half. There is already a seam there so it isn't hard. No need to get anyone to cut it for you for free or for $100, do it yourself, it's easy!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts