Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my flip key cut and installed just the other day.

After some review of past threads and speaking with Tebore. I decided to take the drive to Toronto and meet with Jason Kent, I met up with him at his store and he showed me his back workshop, he's a great guy and has a ton of tools.

I took some pictures

Needless to say the key works great, I made one stop at his place he had everything needed and the whole process took about an hour, great price aswell + warranty on the flip key.

If anyone has any questions about flip keys or wants to get them done msg Jason Kent or give him a call.

416-743-8798
Finch & Weston
3422 Weston Rd

Now I know hes not a vender but I want to make it clear that he's more than willing to help anyone of us on the forums with our flip key issues and questions, yes he does also sell them but the information he has is a valuable resource to Forte Forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
do u no if i send him my spare if he can make it and send it back to me?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like zeoswj said I'm sure he'll be able to cut the key for you it wont be a problem.

I'd assume he'll need you to also send one of your originals in aswell for him to copy the new blank - be sure to msg/call Jason he'll confirm with you what you'll need and his exact mailing address

·
Registered
84 Posts
Damn. I'll be in Toroto in June. I love the flip key, miss that since I dumped my GTI a few years back. So much more convenient than a fob + key.

Do you have an email on Jason? Is he on the forums?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does he use thicker blanks? The one I got from eBay, had 2 blanks. One was thicker, but cut in opposite direction. The one that does work, seems a bit thinner than the original. Someone said it could cause problems :(.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe he uses thicker or thinner ones (cant remember which way) I did ask him - what makes it so difficult for a regular key cutter to cut the keys and he explained it to me that the blade is thicker/thinner and the cuts need to be of the same gauge from both sides.

Apparently Forte keys are a problem to cut at most stores.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I just want to say if you have questions for Mr Kent directly, just to email him or call. Don't PM him on the boards he's not a sponsor and we don't want to upset the mods. We can discuss his quality of work mini-reviews in a sense or talk about how we like our keys. But again if you have questions best answered by Mr Kent just to email him.

He doesn't want to be banned as he enjoys reading the forums and he also doesn't want to upset the mods.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Actually Jason uses real Forte blanks and has them machined to fit the flip key. The reason he does this, is that he found the blanks that come with the flip are poor quality. So he took it upon him self to fix this issue. I am picking mine up this weekend. So can't wait for Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Actually Jason uses real Forte blanks and has them machined to fit the flip key. The reason he does this, is that he found the blanks that come with the flip are poor quality. So he took it upon him self to fix this issue. I am picking mine up this weekend. So can't wait for Saturday.
Yes he does he gets forte blanks from the US (no immobilizer chip) then machines them to fit the shell. The blanks that come with the shell are inconsistent and inferior. The blanks that come with the shells are softer metal that will wear faster than the OE blanks.

Basically if you want your key turned in to a flip key he is the go to guy. He even has all the parts necessary on hand so you don't have to worry about lost packages and so on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice to know. I had TrueValue do the cut on the [email protected] blank that came with the shell, it works and all, but don't want to risk causing issues. I also had them make a copy using the normal key blanks they have (by eye it appears to be the same thickness as the original key), I suppose I might try dremeling it to fit the shell (since I'm in the US, not sure how to go about mailing things to CA lol)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks man!! Gonna shoot him an email.....

I just want to say if you have questions for Mr Kent directly, just to email him or call. Don't PM him on the boards he's not a sponsor and we don't want to upset the mods. We can discuss his quality of work mini-reviews in a sense or talk about how we like our keys. But again if you have questions best answered by Mr Kent just to email him.

He doesn't want to be banned as he enjoys reading the forums and he also doesn't want to upset the mods.

Well, that's why I asked for his information, makes it easier to get a hold of someone when you have their email. I just wasn't sure if he was on the Forum, that's all.

But, also....how would a PM "upset" the mods. It's a "Private" message. There are no "rules" governing what we can ask another forum member, barring the usual Terms Of Service. There are plenty of "members" on the Forum that "do business" with other members that aren't sponsors. Now, if someone were to post a THREAD asking Mr Kent to do work and things like that, I could see your point.

Either way, we now have a way to contact him, at least I will, if we're interested.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
But, also....how would a PM "upset" the mods. It's a "Private" message. There are no "rules" governing what we can ask another forum member, barring the usual Terms Of Service. There are plenty of "members" on the Forum that "do business" with other members that aren't sponsors. Now, if someone were to post a THREAD asking Mr Kent to do work and things like that, I could see your point.

Either way, we now have a way to contact him, at least I will, if we're interested.
You gotta learn how a forum operates. NOTHING is PRIVATE on a privately operated forum. The mods can always access PM's. There are rules governing how PM's are used and it is covered in the "TOU" you agreed to when you signed up.

He's a nice guy I don't want him to get banned as he does enjoy reading the forums.

"How" can the mods be upset? I don't know but they already were last time he posted anything. He didn't even solicit. He just answered a few generic questions. One of the things that came up were how he was conducting business through PM's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You gotta learn how a forum operates. NOTHING is PRIVATE on a privately operated forum. The mods can always access PM's. There are rules governing how PM's are used and it is covered in the "TOU" you agreed to when you signed up.

He's a nice guy I don't want him to get banned as he does enjoy reading the forums.

"How" can the mods be upset? I don't know but they already were last time he posted anything. He didn't even solicit. He just answered a few generic questions. One of the things that came up were how he was conducting business through PM's.
Yeah, i know "nothing is private", but hey, that's what PM's are for. So stupid. But, again, that's why I asked for his contact info. PM's are a pain in the ass to get anything done...except to find out someone's info. LMAO

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I believe he has the flip shells as well...best to contact him to find out. Picking up mine this weekend, so can't wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Difference between Korea and USA made keys

While reading the thread I decided to let forum members know the difference between Korean and USA made keys, why Korean-made keys are not cut right etc. I have been doing research on this issue of the problem with Kia Forte Keys from Korea.
I found out that the major difference why there is a problem in cutting the key is its width (cut side measurement). The Korean keys which comes with the flip shell have the width of 8.35 mm while the USA-made keys are almost 8.7 mm wide. This difference in width makes a key cutters job from difficult to near impossible.

Another thing which makes difference in cutting the keys is its hardness. The keys made by ILCO (the largest key manufacturer of North America) at their Rocky Mount, North Carolina plant, after melting the brass, zinc is added to make the metal a little softer (but to the level not to compromise on the quality of metal to make a key) to ease cutting the key right. My experience leads me to guess that the Chinese or Korean-made after market keys are made without adding the zinc(to cut on costs), that's why several times, the key being too hard, it just shoots out of the mount on the key machine and just give up to the pressure cutting blade have on the key. Keys for Honda and Lexus (side winder cut keys commonly know as laser cut keys) from Chinese origin have serious problem in cutting, being more harder than OEM keys and several times have broken my cutter blade while working on these.

Here is the link on how keys are manufactured in ILCO plant in North Carolina
Key Systems Media Player

The third difference in these two type of keys which I just noticed this morning is the depth of grooves in the key. The Korean keys grooves are more deeper than the USA keys.

The fourth difference between these keys is the weight. The Korean keys weigh between 5.9 and 6.0 g while the US ones (the USA-made key was machined to the exact dimensions of the Korean key to fit into flip shell) weigh 6.9 g.

I would post some images later today to explain in pictures what I have discussed here.
I am also thinking about making a video on how to convert Kia Forte key and key less remote into Flip key and then I can post it on the forum to help members who inspire to convert their key and remote into a more fancy gadget.
JK

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well...I picked up my flip key on Saturday from Jason...and let me say I love it. Considering getting mt Second key done as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One key is enough for me.

Do you share your ride with someone else?

Glad to hear you made the switch over - its been great, ive had my key for just over a week now and still no problems - works great and I love just flipping the blade in and out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts