Kia Forte Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
is it possible to have just the fogs as DRLs without the parking lights on?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
thanks, would be cool if i could turn on the fogs switch without the use of headlights

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey were is the relay box located in the Koup? Under the hood?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks soar4fun for the thread.

Well I did this last night, and it is one of the best modifications I have ever done. And for anyone that does not know the relay box in the picture is under the hood driver side.

·
Registered
393 Posts
^^^^ looks good brother. I like the day running light to be as low and far out at tge edges as possible. Looks meaner to me. And I have the SX And I like the stock inserts they look like air ducks.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Any easy way to run wires through the firewall for switching this? Had Cobalts before this and they were sooo easy to work on, looked under the Forte hood and it does NOT look easy, as far as running wires.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Why would you need to run any wires? This mod only requires a four inch long wire.. I did it just a few hours ago during Irene :p. I did however find out that it is illegal here to drive with highbeams and fogs on at the same time :p. Picture is with Hi's on. Be nice if we could figure out how to get the mirror turns to be on while the DRL's are.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
...unless you want to be able to turn them off (and you should) because fog lights at night in addition to headlights are not necessary. Actually, all I need to do is negatively relay them to the headlights so once they go on, the fogs go off. Duhh.

But at some point I'll still need to run wires through the firewall for something or another. And it looks like that'll be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I haven't looked at many other DIY's but I'm sure another much wiser person has created or knows what to do.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I know exactly how, electrically. Was just wondering if anyone has run wires through the firewall, just looking for the best place to cut. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey just run wires thorough driver quarter panel above wheel into rubber boot.... its the easiest if you have 2011 and up. i think koup and sedan. i have the 2011 forte ex sedan and i had to run my wires through that location. Cuz the location most 2010 guys use is two bolts a plate and a rubber grommet which is closed of on later models.

·
Registered
68 Posts
please point me to it if I missed it somewhere, but has anyone done an independant fogs on operation...kind of like this, but you can turn them off/on whenever you want no matter which lights are on or off? I don't want these on all of the time, just whenever I want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did this mod over the weekend and I love it! A few things I did notice.

1. you have to use a very thin wire so it will push down into the relay box contact and still let the relay sit all the way down in.

2. If the engine is off and the key is in the run postion and you have the headlights and fog lights on the fuel pump will keep running. I just keep the fog light switch off so this does not happen by accident.

·
Registered
238 Posts
discovered this a while ago, but i still dont know....i see in the driver fuse panel that theres a spot for the drl...anyway to make it work like the canadian model koups??

·
Registered
284 Posts
To anyone who has done this mod:

I am currently experiencing issues with either fog (sometimes left sometimes right) light not coming on, I have HID fogs and low beams.

Setup & Things I've tried:
- relay harness to battery for fogs (replaced with another harness already, issue is still happening)
- issue happened before mod, except I was able to turn off/on fogs with the manual switch (if one fog was out I could turn my fogs off and back on)

I'm starting to think its my ballast or bulbs however issue seems to happen on either side, so it leads me to think its a wire/signal/voltage issue.

Any tips/suggestions would be great, I'm going to wire up my fogs to my low beam ballast next time I get a chance to see if it's the ballast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
please point me to it if I missed it somewhere, but has anyone done an independant fogs on operation...kind of like this, but you can turn them off/on whenever you want no matter which lights are on or off? I don't want these on all of the time, just whenever I want.

this is what i want to accomplish as well.....is it because of the US standards? do other fortes in different reigns have this ability?

41 - 60 of 95 Posts