Kia Forte Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
probably your ballasts man. or a shitty wiring harness.

if its only one side, then flip ballasts and see, if problem still occurs, then get a quality harness like TRS. they use thick wires and an overall heavy duty setup.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks Noodile.

Issue happens randomly and on either/or (sometimes driver, sometimes passenger)

I'm going to hook up fogs to lowbeam ballast (since i've never had any issues with lowbeams igniting) to see if its bad ballasts.

The reason why I think it has to do with wires/voltages is because its happening on both sides, although ive never had both off at the same time.

We'll see what happens and hopefully its just 2 bad ballasts.

I changed wireharness already but I'll look up TRS.

Thank You

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I didn't see where anyone answered the question of what to do with the relays, put them back in after adding wire? Also, to keep the fuel pump from running when car is not (on but not running, just battery), will leaving the fog lights switch off fix that?
Sorry for the questions...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to the forums. This is my first post. I haven't seen an answer to wiring the fogs so that they can be enabled with the parking lamps. This is what I want to accomplish. I don't want them wired so they're constantly on, just wired so that when the parking lamps are on, and the fog lamp switch is on, the fogs will be on with the amber lamps. Hope to hear from someone on this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm new to the forums. This is my first post. I haven't seen an answer to wiring the fogs so that they can be enabled with the parking lamps. This is what I want to accomplish. I don't want them wired so they're constantly on, just wired so that when the parking lamps are on, and the fog lamp switch is on, the fogs will be on with the amber lamps. Hope to hear from someone on this.
I just did this mod to my SX 5. I used a relay triggered by the marker lights to turn the fog lights on with out the headlights. Any time my marker lights are on my fog lights are on, no headlights required. I like the look of just the fogs and the marker lights.

Attachments

Reactions: himilcyclr

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I'm not good with wiring, can you provide pics or explain more on how you achieved this? I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to turn on the fogs only with the corner lights.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not good with wiring, can you provide pics or explain more on how you achieved this? I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to turn on the fogs only with the corner lights.
All you need is a wired relay. I used the marker light positive wire off the headlight module plug to activate the relay. It's a green wire with a pinkish/orange stripe. One side of the coil on the relay gets the marker light wire. One side of the open contacts on the relay and the other side of the coil on the relay goes to ground. The remaining open contact on the relay goes to the trigger side of the factory fog light relay. The picture in the first post of this thread shows you that contact in the relay socket. Mine's a 2012 and the factory relay is controlled by the BCM, so one side of the coil on the factory relay is always hot. Simple matter of supplying ground using the relay which is triggered by the marker light positive wire. I unplugged the factory relay and inserted a short length of twisted wire from the output of the relay in to the receptacle then I plugged the factory fog light relay back in along with the wire.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's a simple relay diagram:

85 & 87 would go to ground
86 would go to the marker light wire
30 would go to the factory relay trigger

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok... I wanna do this.. But im confused.. Idk y really... But do i replace the relays when im done ? hahaha im noobing soo hard right now

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sorry for the bump but im sitting outside... In Fl... in 85 degree summer humidity where mosquitoes flourish.... Please for the love of god reply!! LOL

·
Registered
206 Posts
You still use the original fog light relay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
maybe i am misunderstanding something here and if so please forgive me. Since the fog lights have a separate switch, i just leave them on all the time thereby i have DRL's. Am i missing something or is this mod not needed?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
maybe i am misunderstanding something here and if so please forgive me. Since the fog lights have a separate switch, i just leave them on all the time thereby i have DRL's. Am i missing something or is this mod not needed?
Yep. The part where you can't turn on your fogs using the switch unless the headlights are also on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did this mod and for some reason when I turn the car off the fogs go off then come back on and stay on? But it doesn't do this all the time? Any help. I put the wire where the pic shows.

Anyone else have this issue
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
great mod i just installed it. very easy. i even put a switch in between the jumper that i mounted on the fuse cover :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep. The part where you can't turn on your fogs using the switch unless the headlights are also on.

yep... your right. i was not using my brain.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i've got mine wired so the fogs and led strips in my headlights run together but independently from the headlight. so basically, one click up on the light stick and fogs w/ led strips. then one more click-fogs, strips, headlights. i don't know if my auto on/off still works or not tho...

61 - 80 of 95 Posts