Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, first off this is for the US version.

So I would like to be able to keep my fog lights on while I have my parking lights on and headlights off. Currently if I only have my parking lights on the fog lights auto turn off.

Does anyone know any easy way to mod my fogs to stay on if I turn my head lights off and leave the parking lights on?

·
Registered
533 Posts
not gonna happen as it is a US safety protocol that you are not able to do this.. I think someone found a way to do it just search the threads.. I wouldn't reccomend though...

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I wonder why it's a safety issue? Have more info ? I love the look of fogs with white parking lights. It's a nice look during dusk hours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my silverado i could do this. i modified a relay on my saturn to do this, i sure dont see how its an adverse safety issue but more so a help as more light is out front at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
not gonna happen as it is a US safety protocol that you are not able to do this.. I think someone found a way to do it just search the threads.. I wouldn't reccomend though...
You have a reference to back this up?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't think that it is a good idea to tap into your fuel pump for power. Even if you use it to just trigger a relay....why the fuel pump? Such a small gauge wire and there are such easier ways to do this. Use the ignition wire under the steering column. Install a relay to the fog light switch. Maybe I am missing something but why would you want to mess with the fuel pump? I have never heard of someones fog lights being wired to the fuel pump. Not being a dick just saying. So don't jump my shit!!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this isn't really the answer you're looing for, but if you check my DYI for adding foglights to the Koup EX, that's how mine work. But that's because I have as separate relay and as separate switch. What I did was wired the switch to draw power from the rear parking light. That way, I can flip the light stalk to parking, and the foglights come on.

I'm not sure if the US version has DRL, but in Canada we do, so I can't get away without my DRL turning on once the car is in "drive", but I am able to have my Fogs and DRL on at the time.

Just an idea....

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
You have a reference to back this up?
US law states that the most amount of bulbs that could be on while driving is 4, which is why you can't have them with your highs.

and The Koup doesn't have them as DRL because someone already looked into it and they were (i think) 3 inches short of the legal height of a DRL

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
So only breaking the law, if you use high beams with fogs. Not to just have fogs as DRL. With the right relay setup, you could set it up to go off with the Highs.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Kia Tech said:

Luckily, Kia engineered this 'easily' so this ain't rocket science. Take the Yellow wire that runs into the DRL resistor (which is on the lower firewall, deep passenger's side) and cut it. Butt a new wire to it, and run it over to the fog light. Tap that new wire into the orange wire on the back of the fog light. I know it sounds 'too simple' but follow me on this...

Now what you have is instead of the power from the DRL module going to the resistor and then running to the high beam lights, you've made it run straight to the fog lights (and because the two lights are parallelled back at the fuse box you WILL get both lights on with just the one connector). When you have your headlights on, the DRL source will be off, so you still have control over if the fogs are on or off.

One wire, one butt connector, one ScotchLok, and it's done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts