Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am new to the forum. (and new to the Koup, just bought last weekend) Any ways... I was wondering if any one has, or if it's even possible to wire a switch for the fog lights so I can turn them on alone w/o any other lights. I plan on getting yellow fogs (I have racing red Koup) and modding my headlights like the Audi style, which I also would like to have a switch for. I have 2 spots where the traction control button is and i want them to be a switch/button for fogs and the other for the L.E.D strip on my headlights... I think this would look really nice. Any help is appreciated and my apologies if there is already a thread on this. I've searched and found nothing like this.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Search harder. The info is there.

Search for "fogs as drl" for turning the lights on as you please. As for the switch blanks, forget about it. The cannot be converted to workable switches.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can just have your parking lights on to activate the fogs (I'm assuming your talking about day-time driving). But if you want just the fogs, this is one way to do it...

Easiest way, your going to need to find/trace the wires thats reponsible for activating the foglights (from the coloumn stick). Once you found them, cut said wire and solder it into whatever switch you want to use. IN MORE DETAIL: Find the wire (wire A) going into the column stick thats the power. Then find the wire (wire B) thats coming from the column stick thats either "on" or "off" , depending if the fog lights are activated, and cut that wire. Solder wire A to your input part of the switch and wire B to your output part. Your switch should also have a place to ground it, so sloder a ground wire to the switch and ground it.

I like this method 'cause it's more OEM and "cleaner". Less B.S., but your going to need to locate the right wires. Good luck trying to find a FSM for this car, sorry, and good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
As a mod, I'll make your life easier, here's what KIA TECH had to say about the issue:

Luckily, Kia engineered this 'easily' so this ain't rocket science. Take the Yellow wire that runs into the DRL resistor (which is on the lower firewall, deep passenger's side) and cut it. Butt a new wire to it, and run it over to the fog light. Tap that new wire into the orange wire on the back of the fog light. I know it sounds 'too simple' but follow me on this...

Now what you have is instead of the power from the DRL module going to the resistor and then running to the high beam lights, you've made it run straight to the fog lights (and because the two lights are parallelled back at the fuse box you WILL get both lights on with just the one connector). When you have your headlights on, the DRL source will be off, so you still have control over if the fogs are on or off.

One wire, one butt connector, one ScotchLok, and it's done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not altogether clear on your question. Does it currently have fog lamps? I'm not getting the reason for wanting to do if it already has fog lamps. They are designed to come on in low beam and switch off when the high beam is on. It is my understanding that having both the high beams and fog lamps on at the same time is unlawful.

Now if you already have fog lamps and want your regular headlights to switch off that's another kettle of fish. In any event I think you could be getting into a real briar patch not including possible warranty issues.

A lot of people have wanted to install fog lamps in those vehicles not already having them. That could be done with a relatively simple toggle switch but you would need to remember to turn them off while driving. If you don't have fog lamps, then you could simply turn off your headlamps and turn on the fog lamps. That would be a simple procedure I would think. I did that one time on an older Saab. You could probably find an unused switch position on the dash to mount the switch if you merely wanted to do that. Unless a person orders every possible option there are almost always unused switch positions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if my 1st post was confusing. I have factory fog lights already, but I want them to be on all alone. (No headlights, no running lights) If this isn't safely possible I can settle with having them on with my running lights. My previous car, Cobalt SS S/C, I could simply turn off my headlights, turn on my fogs, and have only my fog lights and the ugly orange running lights on. It seems with the Koup I can only have my fog lights on when the head lights are on, which isn't very good looking in the early morning. I hope I make sense... It makes sense in my head lol. I apologize as I am not very good at putting mind to writing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll be honest with you. This is out of my league. I have given up on wiring cars at all. That is why I order them the way I want them to be. I'm sure someone else here can guide you in this endeavor. I guess this would be useful in going down back roads at night to hunt critters and the like. One would want only limited illumination under those conditions. You might google up this question and someone probably has already done this. What I did know was that adding fog lamps is extraordinarily difficult only should be attempted by someone who really knows what he is doing as it requires elaborate switching devices and the like. Just off the top of my head, I suppose a person could wire in a switch that would deactivate the juice to the headlights only and would just open that part of the electric circuit. Good luck. I'm sure someone knows how to do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts