Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it easy to put fog lights on a sedan? this is my GF's car and I know on BMWs everything is pre-wired even if it doesn't have the option...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just installed the Mercedes knockoff style DRL Fogs on mine....Took a little over a hour and a little modding to the housing to fit the grille. Now mine aren't the high powered ones that Mercedes actually use so they only use about 9W's or about a Amp so I wired them to the tail lights in the fuse box using a mini add a fuse. Regardless it's not hard to wire them up. What took the longest was hiding the wiring.

Take a look at my pictures here: http://www.forteforums.com/forums/body-kits-appearance/6566-mercedes-style-drls.htm . Now I need HID's & switchbacks -

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is it easy to put fog lights on a sedan? this is my GF's car and I know on BMWs everything is pre-wired even if it doesn't have the option...

It is easy with any basic knowledge in electrical work. Fortes are not prewired.

See the DIY I put together. It will answer all of your questions.

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/6026-how-diy-oem-fog-lights-sedan-ex.html

What ecko shows is more of a DRL and not a factory housing so it will look out of place.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did this with the knock off mercedes DRLs its actually really easy you dont need to mess with fuses or anything.

I just taped into my DRLs wire i dont remember the colors of the wires but just use a volt meter. Make sure you have the key in the ignition and turn on just the DRLs not the full headlights and then use the volt meter to find out which wires are active there is a write up with pictures somewhere if i find it ill post it

·
Registered
536 Posts
^ Pics? What parts/ materials did you use? How much did it cost you?
click on the link....parts? I bought them from Ebay. Mercedes DRL's....The only thing I had to do was cut the mounting posts off the back of the housing...resealed the holes with waterproof silicone because the power wires came out through the mounting posts. I figured out exactly where I wanted the DRL's mounted and drilled a small hole behind them for the power wires. I mounted the DRL's with 3M tape which surprisingly the bond at this point is very strong. As far as the wiring, I bought a "mini add-a-fuse" and ran the power wired to that which connects to the taillights in the fuse box. These are not power hungry DRL's, using only 9 Watts or less than 1 amp. grounded the wires, hid them well, and that's it...Simple....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts