Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just able upgrade from the compact spare in my 2018 sedan to a full size tire. I hope this can answer questions that some people may have about this in the future.
I chose a wheel size of 15x6. This is the same size that comes on the base model Fortes with steel wheels. The Forte sedan generally comes with one of these 3 sizes:
195/65R15
205/55R16
215/45R17
All three of these sizes are very similar in overall diameter, less half an inch difference between the 15" and 17". I would recommend anyone goes with the 15 inch size, since it is the narrowest and will fit the easiest under the trunk space. The others might be able to fit, but I have no experience with that so try it at your own risk if you want to go for it.
I had the foam holder from the OEM spare tire kit. It did not fit into the 15" wheel, but I was able to cut off excess foam around the edges and make it fit inside the wheel so that the trunk floor can sit flat and stable. You probably want to keep it, or find something to support the trunk floor if you don't have one, otherwise the trunk floor could cave in if you have a heavy load on it. If you don't have that kit, you can find scissor jacks and lug wrenches online, but you'll have to find a way to support the trunk floor.
The specs for the 15 inch wheel are:

Diameter 15", width 6"
Bore 67.1 (this can be larger, but you'll need a hub centric ring if you do that)
Bolt pattern 5x114.3 (AKA 5x4.5)
Offset +45 (not too important to match, but too big of a difference could cause issues clearing the brakes)

These are the same specs that come OEM on cars with 15" wheels

This is the wheel I bought if you want to go with a steel wheel. You could also buy a 5th OEM wheel if you have a car with alloy wheels, but this will be a lot more expensive and it won't sit flat in the trunk since there is a raised part in the middle for the hold-down bolt, but the front of the OEM alloys is flat.

As for cost, the dealer originally charged me an extra $250 for the spare tire kit when I bought the car 2 years ago. The total for the wheel, tire, plus a jack and lug wrench so the old spare can go in my parents' Soul, was $239.18. I even bought a pretty expensive jack, so you can get a basic one for much less. I would absolutely recommend you go for making your own spare and buying the tools, as you'll get a more practical and reliable tire for less price!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Good information. I would rather have a full size spare then the compact spare.

Please note that 15" wheel will not fit on a car with larger brakes (SX in particular).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts