Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if I should wait to get ample use out of my stock filter before purchasing this?

Get my $$$ worth of what is installed before never having to worry about changing the air filter again :D

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Buy it now..that way the amortization over the life of the vehicle makes more sense! Also, you can pull out your KN and put your stock one in the day you clean it therefore drastically increasing the life of the stock filter! You can also put it in the days you bring your car in for service if you are worried about what they think ;)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
^^^For the drop-in filter I agree that performance-wise you would need some VERY sensitive measuring equipment to find the difference...if you buy the K&N drop-in filter the ONLY advantage would be if you kept it for the life of your car...could potentialy save a few bucks on paper filter replacements. My problem is that I would still want to replace it after a couple years of use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry to break the news but a K&N filter will do nothing more than your current stock filter is doing. Total waste of money.
AND, since you apply oil to the K&N it can foul your MAF sensor downstream in the throttle body. You definitely don't want that, for a very questionably better air filter.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
First off, I will not give acrap anymore on what MR Microsoft says since his only 3 posts are all negative.

Second,

from K+N's site:

K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and three years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What do you expect K&N to say? I personally know of many MAF issues directly related to putting oil on a foam air filter.

K&N has been passed by as new air filter media is less restrictive and better at micro-particle filtration. K&N, and others like them, had their day years ago when there was actually a benefit to using their setup. Now it's extremely counterproductive due to MAF/ECM sensitivity to changes in air flow and also oil contamination.

What are you teying to get out of a Forte with K&N anyway? Another 3 HP? As if it matters in these cars.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,879 Posts
MAFs work be heating an element and then measuring how much current is needed to keep the element heated at a predetermined level while the incoming air is cooling the element. If oil gets on the element it can -- and does -- screw up the readings because it coats the element and prevents the cooling effect of the air passing over it. Having said that, I had a K&N intake -- oiled filter and all -- on a MAF equipped Chevy and didn't have any MAF issues. Just don't over oil the filter to cause oil droplets!

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's not worth screwing up your MAF for a tiny increase in HP, if any at all, IMO. MAF is an expensive repair. There's also contamination of the throttle body and butterfly valve to contend with in the case of oiled air filters. You have to be very careful with the amount of oil you apply to a foam filter in current engines. Again, where's the risk-reward benefit here?

·
Registered
298 Posts
First off, I will not give acrap anymore on what MR Microsoft says since his only 3 posts are all negative.

Second,

from K+N's site:

K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

We are aware of the “urban myth” (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this “myth” and three years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over.

Thank God someone said something!

·
Registered
56 Posts
First off, I will not give acrap anymore on what MR Microsoft says since his only 3 posts are all negative.[/SIZE]
Haha, I thought the exact same thing when I saw that but i didnt wanna be rude or anything. Im glad someone has less of a filter (no pun intended) then I do :p

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Been here for quite a bit and moderated other forums to know where a sense of community is key to the well-being, harmony and overall perception to new members. It like the old saying, "if you have nothing good to say, don't bother saying anything at all."

as for the KN, I like the sound the boost is noticeable on the lower gears, and my 7 yr bumper to bumper warranty is going to cover these issues and prevent me from spending an extra 15 dollars every 6 months. I simply swap the stock filter in every service appointment and ask they don't change the filter. I'd like them to try and prove that the MAF failed due to any contamination =)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Been here for quite a bit and moderated other forums to know where a sense of community is key to the well-being, harmony and overall perception to new members. It like the old saying, "if you have nothing good to say, don't bother saying anything at all."

as for the KN, I like the sound the boost is noticeable on the lower gears, and my 7 yr bumper to bumper warranty is going to cover these issues and prevent me from spending an extra 15 dollars every 6 months. I simply swap the stock filter in every service appointment and ask they don't change the filter. I'd like them to try and prove that the MAF failed due to any contamination =)
Well, it's good that you're using the drop-in version. As for Kia proving that the K&N caused an MAF failure, all they'd have to do is look for oil on the MAF and throttle body. And I'd be willing to bet that after extended use of a K&N you're gonna have some.

Most of the time any perceived bump in power is entirely imaginary(you want, so you believe). Again, the stock filter is not restrictive.

Are you willing to use a K&N oil filter? That too could cause problems, per a Kia TSB.

·
Registered
243 Posts

BTW, if there's ever a problem, even if you've put the stock filter back in for dealer purposes, how would you explain any oil on the MAF? How else could it possibly get there without a K&N type air filter? You think they're dummies?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been asking a few of my car buddies about the K&N filter and most of them say they've used it for years and haven't any problems with it..

I'm down.. I'll take 2..

·
Registered
436 Posts
I considered a K&N for one of my previous cars until I started reading posts about them on the Mazda forums. 2 users on one forum reported an alarming spike in silicon levels in their oil when they did a used oil analyis with the K&N in place. In both cases, silicon went back down to normal levels when the stock filter was replaced.

For those of you who don't know...elevated silicon in your oil is hell on bearings, rings and bores. Not a great tradeoff for 1-2 more hp.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I considered a K&N for one of my previous cars until I started reading posts about them on the Mazda forums. 2 users on one forum reported an alarming spike in silicon levels in their oil when they did a used oil analyis with the K&N in place. In both cases, silicon went back down to normal levels when the stock filter was replaced.

For those of you who don't know...elevated silicon in your oil is hell on bearings, rings and bores. Not a great tradeoff for 1-2 more hp.
Silicon or silica? Either one means dirt particles, which will be injested through the air filter if it's not filtering properly.

Yeh, why risk a contaminated MAF and throttle body, increased silica/silicon(dirt) in the engine, and possibly voiding your warranty for a foam air filter that offers negligible hp gains.

K&N and others that tout the same nonsense are gimmicks, IMO.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts