Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Forte EX 5 speed manual transmissionin July 2009. I live in Québec. From the beginning, I experienced a problem with the shifting from 1-2 mostly, but it also happens from 2-3. There's some kind of delay when I release the clutch.

I've always driven stick shift cars, so I know the problem is NOT behind the wheel. I reported the issue to my dealer who told me it was not a transmission problem but rather a computer problem. Said it might get better with time and with more mileage on (it has about 7000 km now). In January I took it in for a reprogramming and it got WORSE, so I asked that the original programming be put back. Which helped, but the problem is still very much there.

I love my car with all its features and great looks, but my driving experience is very disappointing :(. I do mostly city driving so I have to shift all the time. I've read a lot of comments on many forums and the issue was not mentioned that many times. I asked my dealer to replace the computer since it's not ALL the Forte EX five speed manual that have the problem, saying that if SOME cars don't have the problem, all computers are not identical, but the mechanic said they don't do that and it wouldn’t fix the problem. I still don't get it but hey, I'm no mechanic, right? So I have owned my car for almost 8 months now and I'm afraid, since not many other owners have the problem, that the company is not getting enough pressure to fix it. I understand that my dealer can do so much and has to wait for the company to find a solution. I'm wondering what I could do to speed things up. Would writing to the company help?

Anyone else has the same problem?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Glad to hear youre still happy with youre Forte. I luv KDM:)

MaForte, youre not the only one. There were some ECU flash. Sounds like you had that done & then a flash back to the old one. Ask youre dealer if they performed the adaptive/relearn proceedure after the ECU flash. It may help. If they say yes, and that there is nothing they can do. Yes, call KIA Canada.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What exactly do you mean by delay when you release the clutch? A delay in acceleration or delay in clutch engagement?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I also have the same problem, I guess you can say I got used to it... My transmission was replaced at 3,000 miles due to grinding in those gears, but when I got my new one, the grinding was replaced by delayed engagement in 2nd gear...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the CDV to me....

BW

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
If the CDV was causing the problem, it wouldn't make sense as to why it would only be from 1st to 2nd, wouldn't it cause the issue for all gears? 1st 3rd 4th and 5th are fine. Secondly, there's a reason why KIA engineers put the CDV there... it's not like they put it there to make us suffer, there's a reason and I'll be calling KIA and the dealer to find out.. What is the long term effect of this mod?? sure, It sounds good at first, but a few months down the road you will probably run into some problem..

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the CDV was causing the problem, it wouldn't make sense as to why it would only be from 1st to 2nd, wouldn't it cause the issue for all gears? 1st 3rd 4th and 5th are fine. Secondly, there's a reason why KIA engineers put the CDV there... it's not like they put it there to make us suffer, there's a reason and I'll be calling KIA and the dealer to find out.. What is the long term effect of this mod?? sure, It sounds good at first, but a few months down the road you will probably run into some problem..

Good point but they also put traction control in and while its nice in the winter it can even prevent you from getting up a slippery hill. Not everything in that car is built to hold it together some is just for convenience and i suspect the CDV is there to make the clutch engage smoother. Great for the average person ... throw a CDV on a sports car people might call you crazy. See what you can find out about the CDV and the effects of removing it though i would be interested to know.

If the problem is 1st to 2nd what about the syncro's ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have the same problem, I guess you can say I got used to it... My transmission was replaced at 3,000 miles due to grinding in those gears, but when I got my new one, the grinding was replaced by delayed engagement in 2nd gear...The best time to shift from 1st to 2nd is around 4500 RMPs (yea that's a lot), If you don't want to go that high on RPMs then hold the clutch longer and then slowly let go. This in it self presents a problem since holding in the clutch wears it out faster... IT IS A DESIGN FLAW, there is nothing wrong with the ECU... The dealer won't help you.. YOU NEED TO CALL KIA DIRECTLY...either by phone, or write to them (look up the information in the owner's manual). The more people report the problem, the more likely they will look into it..
Thank you Anthonydv07. Finally someone who can describe the problem with the right words. I had such a hard time trying to explain it.

The problem is not only from 1st to 2nd, it's from 2nd to 3rd and, to a lesser degree, from 3rd to 4th. Frankly, I don't want to get use to it (after 8 months it's unlikely anyway). I did try a few things (high RPM, playing with the clutch or the gas) but it's not working very well. I want the problem resolved. And even if I got use to it, what's going to happen when it's time to sell? How will I explain that "little flaw" to a prospective buyer?

So OK, I'll talk to my dealer about the CDV. And then I'll write to the company and put some pressure on them. One thing is for sure, if they don't come up with a solution, I will never buy a Kia again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You do realize when you use the words "hold the clutch longer and slowly let go" you could very well be describing a problem related to a VALVE that DELAYS the CLUTCH? Also a grind can be caused by a clutch not engaging / disengaging properly... because there might be something stopping or slowing the clutch function .... like a... wait for it...

cdv

and the fact that maforte said its in almost every gear? hrmm wait wait.....

cdv....?

So does it make any possibility a CDV is causing slow/poor clutch function witch causes you to MANGLE syncros and considering 1st to 2nd is the most common and generally the fastest shift the syncros would take the biggest beating between those 2 gears?

i am not trying be an ass but saying its not the cdv doesnt make sense to me

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
i am not trying be an ass but saying its not the cdv doesnt make sense to me
I'm on my second tranny, so it is not every gear for me, only 1st to 2nd.. in fact, I enjoy shifting to 3rd 4th 5th and 1st. I'm not saying your wrong, it just doesn't make sense why it's isolated to specific gears (at least for me, it may very well be for MAFORTE). I have no problem with the rest of the gears, yet I still have the problem being described above. I also bought my car July 2009, so most likely than not, they probably made some type of revision to the 1st tranny, since my 2nd transmission performs somewhat better. If it is the CDV Mr. remote44, your are reinforcing the fact that this transmission was poorly designed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm on my second tranny, so it is not every gear for me, only 1st to 2nd.. in fact, I enjoy shifting to 3rd 4th 5th and 1st. I'm not saying your wrong, it just doesn't make sense why it's isolated to specific gears (at least for me, it may very well be for MAFORTE). I have no problem with the rest of the gears, yet I still have the problem being described above. I also bought my car July 2009, so most likely than not, they probably made some type of revision to the 1st tranny, since my 2nd transmission performs somewhat better. If it is the CDV Mr. remote44, your are reinforcing the fact that this transmission was poorly designed, and the engineering that went into is pretty crappy ( I guess something you could expect from KIA).

Some people argue that this is a 1st generation car type of problem, it probably is, but the Forte has been out in Korea since 2007.... they still haven't been able to fix their problem? or maybe they don't care...

I wouldn't mind fixing the problem my self by this mod, but if this mod causes some type of problem, then that part of your drive train warranty is out the door. I shouldn't have to mod anything to have a nice working car.

I thought I was the only person with this problem, so it looks like I'll be filing my second complaint with the New Motor Vehicle Board of California. We can either sit here and fight with each other or start contacting KIA. I was told by a rep not too long ago that KIA wants to hear from the customers. They want the feedback. The rep specifically told me that if I find any problems with the car, to call KIA consumer affairs and document the problem. Once they get more than 5 people complaining about the same thing, they will start looking into the problem. For example, they plan on changing the door panels in the Soul due to how easily you can scratch them. I doubt they will be replacing all the transmission on all the cars (unless it presents a serious safety concern), but it's worth a try.

Any problems you have then i should be having, my car was on the lot april 2009 as a demo i picked it up with 2000km I am telling you now that car doesn't shift as good as it should i agree. but knowing there is a CDV makes me wonder if all of the issues are related to it. Its not normal to have a valve to slow down the clutch you want it in and out as fast as possible. We will see how it progresses i am going to see if the dealer has any advice the service manager where i got my car is a good guy, i will see what he says.

i would gladly bring the issue to kia though if you dont mind telling me who are you contacting someone from KIA usa? or someone in the Cali DMV? i am in Toronto so things would be different i am just wondering where to go with it.

Apparently there is also an issue with the throttle body? to make it more responsive there is a mod also? i don't want to hijack but that might help revs come down faster it might help the shift?

How many people have actually had tranny issues? was any of that information shared with you anthony?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my manual Forte SX a month ago and shifting has always been rough. Well over the last week or so it has got worse. Especially in the morning when the transmission is cold the shift from 1st to 2nd is near impossible. So I took it in to the dealer (Eastside Kia, Calgary) they took it for a test drive and said it was the master cylinder and they are going to replace it. When I asked why they were so sure they pointed out the window and said 'that Koup came in a few days earlier with exectly the same problem; and changing the master cylinder fixed the problem. They think there is an issue with the seals and air gets into the fluid so causing the clutch not to disengage properly.

So if you are having problems with gear changes it is probably worth talking to the dealers, if enough have problems they will probably do a recall for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok so they replaced the clutch master cylinder and it has made the clutch bite point more consistent but I still have trouble engaging 1st and 2nd especially when the car is cold!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thatz great. Good to know. Did they say what has changed or revised in the "new master cylinder"?

1st to 2nd, if greatly affected by the "drive by wire".

1 - 20 of 39 Posts