Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Considering buying a Kia Forte 2010 EX model. Nice little car with leather seats and sunroof only 24K. Want to know how reliable that model year has been for folks as I believe it was the first year for the Forte? Any input welcome and thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I never buy a first year model anything. No matter how much I might like it. Early 2.0 engines had some kind of oiling issue, I think. More knowledgeable members will enlighten you, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I bought 2 2010 Fortes (both bought when they first came out in 2009), My 2 Daughters each bought 2010 Fortes (one was used w24K miles purchased in 2011).
I decided to sell my Koup SX in 2012 because I was getting ready to retire (I kept my 2003 Sorento for a while longer - now I have a 2021 Forte GT). My wife traded her Sedan SX in 2017 for a 2017 Optima - her 2010 Forte was a good car. My first daughter traded her 2010 Koup EX on a 2014 Mustang GT - she wanted more power...lol. My second daughter gave her 2010 sedan EX to my Granddaughter in 2020 - she now drives a 2021 Forte GT-Line - this was the one bought used in 2011. My Granddaughter loves her 2010 sedan EX. The only problem with it was the headlights were crazed and we put ebay headlights on it...:)

Would I buy them again? Yes. All 4 of them were excellent cars - other then normal maintenance we just drove them.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I never buy a first year model anything. No matter how much I might like it. Early 2.0 engines had some kind of oiling issue, I think. More knowledgeable members will enlighten you, I'm sure.

Makes sense, however, when it comes to Kia in North America none of the Kias are first year! No kidding. Asia gets them first and a year later we get them...LOL!

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side-view mirror

Reactions: Chuzz

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
That means my 2010 is fact is a 2009? My 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT is 12yrs old.
The 2009 MY K3/Cerato was available in mid 2008 in Asia and I believe Australia.

In North America Kia started selling the 2010 Model Year (MY) Forte sedan in mid 2009. I bought my wife's 2010 Forte Sedan SX and later my 2010 Forte Koup SX - both in 2009.

What I was getting at was that the Forte in the United States was TECHNICALLY NOT a first year model...as the K3/Cerato (THE SAME CAR) was already being sold and driven before the Forte was made available. We get Kias after they've been tested on the road for a year...:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the info. So back to basics... has the 156 hp 2L I4, four-speed 2010 Forte model been a reliable car in your opinion? One person said they would buy again which is the greatest testimony that it's a potentially good car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd take another 2017 if the price was right. It's not the most comfortable ride I've ever had, but it's been very reliable. I now have 116,000 and some change on it. Plug change, regular oil changes and a recent full brake and rotor replacement is most of what I've done. I did have to repair a burned out plug on the blower motor and a shitty trunk latch, but that's it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here. Considering buying a Kia Forte 2010 EX model. Nice little car with leather seats and sunroof only 24K. Want to know how reliable that model year has been for folks as I believe it was the first year for the Forte? Any input welcome and thanks!
I drive a 2010 Forte EX with 130k miles, and it is a terrific car. I beat the absolute hell out of my car and all that has gone out is a MAP sensor, so if you drive it normally, it will last you a really long time with no issues. The only thing that comes up periodically is TPMS sensors go out every once and a while, but other then that, no issues whatsoever!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
So far, my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT has been reliable & problem free. Again so far. No major engine & transmission/mechanical problems. Just the typical wear & tear/general maintenance. Fluids, brakes, wash wax detail. For my 2010 SX, that's all I have dealt with.

Either I'm lucky given (Kia/Hyundai ticking grenade & piston slap engine syndrome of death) or the car gods are looking out for me.

I'd buy a 2013 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT, 2016 Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.6L V6 RSpec 6MT.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Thanks all for the info. So back to basics... has the 156 hp 2L I4, four-speed 2010 Forte model been a reliable car in your opinion? One person said they would buy again which is the greatest testimony that it's a potentially good car.
24K on a 11-12 YO car is LOW! If it drives well, smells clean, stops and goes when you want it to...not a bad buy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2010 2.0 koup just blew at 140k. I’ll admit I beat on it but I had an issue with it burning oil ever since I got it. When I bought it it was the quietest car I ever owned could barely tell it was running, month goes by and it sounds like a diesel. 20k miles later its toast

·
Registered
2010 kia forte
1 Posts
You think I want to buy a Kia again wake up dude I will never ever buy a Kia what you guys put me through come on brand new kia started to break down at 40 thousand miles I rather drive my bike or my Honda that I had for years and years and still going Honda is the way to go kia sucks and I will let anyone anybody no that so you go buy a kia stop telling people about kia that bought a Kia that now what your about never again I rest my CASE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So secondary issue and welcome all thoughts. I currently drive a Hyundai Sonata. Considered a mid-size car. I am over six feet tall and have plenty of room in the Hyundai. The Forte is no doubt smaller and I did a test drive and the cabin seemed roomy enough but wondering long term if the "fit" will be an issue?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
So secondary issue and welcome all thoughts. I currently drive a Hyundai Sonata. Considered a mid-size car. I am over six feet tall and have plenty of room in the Hyundai. The Forte is no doubt smaller and I did a test drive and the cabin seemed roomy enough but wondering long term if the "fit" will be an issue?

I'm 6'2" and the Forte sedan has/had plenty of head room for me. I had no problems in any of the sedans, including 10 hour drives. My wife now has a Kia Optima so I can attest to your situation.
The Koup - especially with the sunroof - did not have enough headroom! I had to keep the seat reclined to keep from hitting the ceiling when I hit a bump...one of the reasons I let my Koup go.

Appearance wise it looks to have been a well maintained car. The mileage on that Forte is great but it is still a 11-12 YO car. The serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, emissions hoses, and cooling system hoses should be looked at.

If I got the car this is what I would do:
I'd replace the shift cable bushing (in the console) because it is rubber and they tend to dry up, crack, and break apart.
I'd replace the stop light switch bumper stop for the same reason.
This:
Transmission | Kia Forte Forum (forteforums.com)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts