Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2010 Forte EX, bought new. From the get go it has had a valve clacking/light knocking noise only at warm idle only. The noise is also intermittant, some days it's not there. Which is puzzling as it rules out valve adjustment. The noise appears to be coming from the valves, under tha valve cover. I used a mechanics stethoscope to isolate it. Timing chain area of front cover is quiet. Lower end of engine is quiet. Pulleys are quiet.

I know these engines are exactly quiet due to lack of hydraulic lifters, but this is a noticeable noise that really doesn't belong on a new car. It's also not the injector ticking, as that is recognizable and a separate sound at idle. This ONLY occurs at warm idle, cold star is normal with no unusual noise.

Anybody else experiencing this on a new Forte EX? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a FOrte SX Koup and have been noticed a similar noise lately. Is there a service bulletin about this?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the sound on yours an irregular clacking or light knocking noise at idle? On my car it can be distinctly heard over normal engine sounds at idle.

There is a TSB for the 'oil control valve solenoid', but it describes rough idle and misfires, not engine noise.

These engines aren't quiet due to mechanical lifters(vs hydraulic). I can deal with that no problem. But this irregular and intermittant clacking/knocking noise at warm idle is not normal, IMO.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it's an irregular clacking or light knocking noise. Not there all the time, which is puzzling. I know the injector sound and also the normal valve sounds. This is different. And only at warm idle. If I increase rpms to 1000 at idle, no noise...1500, no noise. While driving, no noise. Only at idle and only after engine is warm.

I suspect the 'variable valve oil control valve', as that controls oil flow to the cam phaser to vary valve timing. If it's malfunctioning, could cause valve noise, IMO. I definitely traced the noise to the valve cover, cyls 1 and 4.

Engine performs fine other than this noise...perfectly smooth idle and performance while driving is excellent. Just this weird clacking/knocking noise at warm idle...sometimes.

I've held off going to the dealer because I'm sure they'll go through their typical process of elimination, and I don't want them to start tearing things apart uneccesarily.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would describe the noise as a clack-clack...clack-clack-clack...clack- clack. Weird. It sounds exactly like a sticky lifter, but evidently these engines(2.0 and 2.4) don't have hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is like a light tapping sound during idle....
Sorry, per my posts below, I thought you were asking if it is like a light tapping sound. I mis-read your post.

So, if you're not hearing a clacking sound, but only a light tapping sound at idle from drivers seat, that is the probably the fuel injectors. I have the same sound on a VW and Subaru I own.

The sound I'm talking about is best described as a clacking or light knocking sound, exactly like a sticky lifter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have noise then go to the dealer and get it checked out. Nobody can diagnose a noise over the internet.
You can't diagnose an engine noise over the internet, but you CAN find out if others are experiencing the same thing. That's the purpose of these posts.

Oh, and I'll give you 3 guesses as to what the dealer will say:

1) it's normal
2) can't hear any noise
3) they all do it

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it sounds like a tick noise my dealer told me that was normal

·
Registered
163 Posts
Man, a lot of people complaining about noisy engines lately, I bet there is gonna be a recall soon.
No, No recall they say it is normal for these engines at the dealership but it could be a CONSPIRACY, you never know

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's normal. My car has done the light clack-clack-clack-clack noise since I drove it off the dealership lot. They all do it.

My car now has almost 70k miles and the only problem I have had is a brake light switch that needed to be replaced. It was only $20 or so and was covered under warranty.

There's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have noticed a similar ticking sound. . .I recently took it to the dealership he mentioned that it was normal. I've wondered if it is in fact the fuel injectors. . .Silver2010 how did you clear it up on the VW?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same thing on my 2010 EX, it was bugging the crap out of me. I wasn't sure if it was noisy lifters or injectors, so I bought lucas upper cylinder cleaner and the lucas oil additive.

The noise went away after one drive to school and back :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's normal. My car has done the light clack-clack-clack-clack noise since I drove it off the dealership lot. They all do it.

My car now has almost 70k miles and the only problem I have had is a brake light switch that needed to be replaced. It was only $20 or so and was covered under warranty.

There's nothing to worry about.
70k? I'm at 74k. Did you ever have the valve clearances checked?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a FOrte SX Koup and have been noticed a similar noise lately. Is there a service bulletin about this?
I have 2010 forte lx with ticky noise. I am from Winnipeg and gathering Forte victims against KIA to fix it at no cost... Everyone welcomes to join me. Thank you

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I have 2010 forte lx with ticky noise. I am from Winnipeg and gathering Forte victims against KIA to fix it at no cost... Everyone welcomes to join me. Thank you
LOL Good luck with that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts