Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 15"x5.5" stock wheels on my forte ex, and I'm wondering what sized wheels would fit the stock tires the car came with. The 5.5" width seems very thin, I've been looking on wheel websites and I couldn't even find any that width with the 15" diameter, the thinnest is always about 6.5".
So if I wanted new wheels, would I be forced to upgrade my tires size as well? If this is the case, what size diameter/width should I get? I also want to know if any certain tire is able to be paired with slightly different wheel sizes (diameter or width).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just upgraded the size to 17x8", and I noticed in the manual it had a warning notice about changing tire size that the car didn't originally come with, for the reason that related components could malfunction.
Since the SX has 17" wheels, does this mean some of the components are different than EX's components, since the tire size is higher? The reason why I think this might be the case, is because there was a leaking problem with the TPMS sensors when I had them switched over to the new wheels, because of the increased size apparently.
Should I have anything more to worry about?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my experience, if you are sticking to a tire/wheel combo that is offered as an option anyways, you are fine. Since a 215/45/17 is only .4 inches smaller in overall diameter, you'd be quite fine. As far as TPMS sensors leaking, aftermarket alloy rims actually need to be compatible with the TPMS sensors. If you went with the 215/45/17, when your speedo reads 60 MPH, you'd actually be going 59.1 MPH.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
They are referring to changing the rims to 18's and above. This will make your speedo inaccurate. It has nothing to do with the width. Most cars have a size +1 that you can safely change too without to many problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am picking up my wheels this weekend and they will be 18 x 7.5 inch wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres. This is a 0.3% diameter change form the original 15 inch wheels with 195/65 R15 tyres.

This is actually a better match for speedo readings than the factory 17 x 7 inch wheels with 215/45 R17 tyres.

Check out the link below for working out your new rim and tyre sizes.

Tire size calculator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts