Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i am getting ready to purchase a car and have it narrowed down to Forte EX w/fuel economy pkg. however i have read a few members complaining about the 5-sp auto tranny. Am i making a mistake by buying this vehicle? Please help. thanks.

By the way, the best offer i have is $16,000 OTD (6% tax). i'll be paying cash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shifting on the Fuel Economy package

I have one of the original (1 year old) Forte's with the fuel economy package.

The TSB was only for the normal 4 speed auto not the 5 speed auto with the fuel economy package.

To be honest, my car will exhibit a 1-2 sec delay shifting from 2nd to 3rd rarely (once every week or two). And it's ONLY when just starting out after starting the engine. To my experience, this irregular (delayed) shift seems to happen when the car is accelerating under load (up a hill) or faster than normal. Once it has hit 3rd gear once, it never does this again in the same driving session. This is what leads many to think it's not a faulty tranny to blame (only happens first shift if at all), but rather a programming fix for the driving computer (flash update yet to be released).

All in all, I am quite happy with the car, and would likely buy it again as the best bang for the $$$ out there even a year later. The motor driven power steering in the fuel economy package is awesome for stiffness and holding the road straight every time. After driving an EX with regular 4 speed auto and steering, I instantly preferred the fuel economy's 5 speed feel so much better driving around town (both steering and shift points).

All in all, you can still even use the manual shift mode (Sportmatic) and never have a problem with the 2nd to 3rd issue mentioned above. You just manual shift the first drive after starting the engine until you hit 3rd gear. That's what most folks who experienced it more often state they have done. I have never been annoyed enough to bother with sportmatic.

I have had all updates that apply to my car performed as of last May. Since then it's been great and I may have noticed one irregular shift starting out from a parking lot in the past 2 months.

Hope this helps...as it is just my experience!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts