Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So every once in a while I plug in my OBDII and open my car scanner for iphone to keep an eye on some values.
I am always left puzzled by WHY the IAT's on this car, idk if just MY car, is so high compared to ambient temps.
In my mustang 2.3t, I know I shouldnt compare but...Whenever cruising, regardless of outside temps, the IAT's would MATCH. So, if ambient temps were 70F, my IAT's would be sitting in the range of 70-73F and inevitably would go up slightly with idling, the longer the idle the higher itd go.

Yesterday, ambient temps were 55F at night, yet my IAT;s were 83-90F. No idling.

Is anybody who is tracking their values with an app along with OBD, seeing this as well? does this car BADLY need a better more efficient intercooler? or, as a possibility being that the APP itself is giving incorrect info?

As for boost, the highest ive seen so far is 1.2 bar which is about 17.4 psi.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sorry, don't have an answer for you...just curious - do you have factory intake or an aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, don't have an answer for you...just curious - do you have factory intake or an aftermarket intake?
I have stock intake with a drop-in k&n filter. Im hoping others who use other apps chime in on this. I just dont understand HOW, at cruising speeds, my IAT's could be 25-30F above ambient temps...Here in FL we are in our "winter" time which sometimes includes days that are a mild 75F, and drops at night anywhere between 45-60F. If Im having 85F IAT's in 60F temps, I cannot imagine how HIGH theyll get once SUMMER gets here lol...
heat soaking KILLS power.😫😫😫🤔🤔🤔

EDIT: I should add that even though the IAT's seem TOO high imo, I dont think that they are CURRENTLY affecting my performance (id have to wait for summer time lol), as Ive been able to achieve pretty good numbers...
I just dont understand if its NORMAL for this CAR...and thats what Im trying to find out...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have stock intake with a drop-in k&n filter. Im hoping others who use other apps chime in on this. I just dont understand HOW, at cruising speeds, my IAT's could be 25-30F above ambient temps...Here in FL we are in our "winter" time which sometimes includes days that are a mild 75F, and drops at night anywhere between 45-60F. If Im having 85F IAT's in 60F temps, I cannot imagine how HIGH theyll get once SUMMER gets here lol...

EDIT: I should add that even though the IAT's seem TOO high imo, I dont think that they are CURRENTLY affecting my performance (id have to wait for summer time lol), as Ive been able to achieve pretty good numbers...
I just dont understand if its NORMAL for this CAR...and thats what Im trying to find out...
Sounds about right. I plan going with a SXTH intercooler soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds about right. I plan going with a SXTH intercooler soon.
Oh wow...good to know..
Why though?! lol have you looked into it? Why it heats up so much?
My thinking (I could be totally wrong here) is that based on those IAT's, a more efficient IC would alone improve performance even more.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oh wow...good to know..
Why though?! lol have you looked into it? Why it heats up so much?
My thinking (I could be totally wrong here) is that based on those IAT's, a more efficient IC would alone improve performance even more.....
Like to today did some driving out side FL temp 85+ IAT was 100+ ez. I normally see depending on weather,drive time and idle in traffic a 15-30 degrees difference. So i think the intercooler needs a upgrade.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like to today did some driving out side FL temp 85+ IAT was 100+ ez. I normally see depending on weather,drive time and idle in traffic a 15-30 degrees difference. So i think the intercooler needs a upgrade.
Yup, thanks for chiming in. I wanted to know if others were seeing the same thing as I was lol...
I will def be considering an IC! Ill take a look at the SXTH!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
SXTH Element IC is currently out of stock - the best you can do is give them your e-mail address to notify you when they get some more in.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
216 Posts

It maybe the fact that the radiator fan shroud covers the intercooler, too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The intercooler is not well designed period when add3 more to the car this intercooler will need to be replaced. Slow stop and go traffic really sucks on this intercooler. Take a look at the diameter lol :

·
Registered
40 Posts
SXTH front mount looks a bit pricey for the small gains. Although I am considering if I ultimately do a turbo upgrade. I'm just waiting to see the results a few other cars before going any further.

·
Registered
339 Posts
SXTH front mount looks a bit pricey for the small gains. Although I am considering if I ultimately do a turbo upgrade. I'm just waiting to see the results a few other cars before going any further.
Bolt on intercoolers for this car will min $600- $800 regardless. Not all about gains from upgraded the intercooler. Heat soak and poor flow is the HP killer even if u did a turbo upgrade just more hot air going into a sub pair stock intercooler. 🤷‍♂️. If you go water/meth injection than you could skip the intercooler upgrade. Factory intercooler heat soaks fast. It can cost you 20-30whp loss easily. Im not upgrading my intercooler for the gains but more for not loosing power.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bolt on intercoolers for this car will min $600- $800 regardless. Not all about gains from upgraded the intercooler. Heat soak and poor flow is the HP killer even if u did a turbo upgrade just more hot air going into a sub pair stock intercooler. 🤷‍♂️. If you go water/meth injection than you could skip the intercooler upgrade. Im not upgrading my intercooler for the gains.
I was saying if I did a turbo upgrade I would pair it with an upgraded intercooler. I'll probably go water / meth if I stick with the stock turbo.

The SXTH just seem so small compared to my VSRF fmic on my other turbo car and I only paid around $350 for that intercooler if I remember correctly.

I've got a little ways to go before I come back around to that item.

Have you added any heat shielding to your hot pipe? I am planning to do do that next time I get under there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was saying if I did a turbo upgrade I would pair it with an upgraded intercooler. I'll probably go water / meth if I stick with the stock turbo.

The SXTH just seem so small compared to my VSRF fmic on my other turbo car and I only paid around $350 for that intercooler if I remember correctly.

I've got a little ways to go before I come back around to that item.

Have you added any heat shielding to your hot pipe? I am planning to do do that next time I get under there.
SXTH kit is just more than the intercooler its self. I would really look into what that kit comes with and the added features you get you won't find from any other manufacturer for "our car". I understand there are better cost for "other cars" but that's not our car. A proper Water/meth will cost about the same as intercooler upgrade for our car. Water/meth would be the way to go ideally. All 3 would be killer combo though. I haven't added any shielding to my hot pipe the SXTH hot pipe i have is decently powder coated very well.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts