Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 2020 kia forte gt and it’s stick shift. i’ve been wanting to change my shift knob but don’t really know how, and i don’t believe that it just twists off, can anyone help ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been wanting to change mine too but the knob has a lever that you must pull up to get it in reverse. Its not as easy as just twisting it off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's just held in by plastic clips. You'll have to pull upwards. On mine, there's a metal ring that holds the top of the boot cover. It's not hard to remove but will need something hard or metal to get in & pull it off. Small flathead screwdriver/metal curved pick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I just read through all the response and tried pulling the lever up but it won't twist and im afraid to break it , i literally got the car yesterday, but that shift knob is super ugly and it needs to be gone, if anyone has done it please let me know , thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey guys, I just read through all the response and tried pulling the lever up but it won't twist and im afraid to break it , i literally got the car yesterday, but that shift knob is super ugly and it needs to be gone, if anyone has done it please let me know , thanks
I am having the same issue as you, it will not twist off by hand. I am not sure if it is threaded on or if its pressed on. It is ugly AF, I wish we had a ball shift knob like the one in the veloster turbo or elantra GT n-line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just purchased a 2020 kia forte gt and it’s stick shift. i’ve been wanting to change my shift knob but don’t really know how, and i don’t believe that it just twists off, can anyone help ?
Hi I’m new here I have a 2019 fe and this is as far as I could get it has these little clips on either side I opened them up and tried everything pry pull and twist with the lock out up and down I’m truly stumped on this one and I want the ugly shift knob gone
7EE3853F-7648-4976-9C60-9E7A1B539BA0.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems like it’s in two different pieces from What tell I can get some better pictures later today
Yes please send more pictures if possible today, thank you i really appreciate all of you guys we are making some progress, I ordered my new shift knob already should be arriving today and that ugly thing is getting removed 100%

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes please send more pictures if possible today, thank you i really appreciate all of you guys we are making some progress, I ordered my new shift knob already should be arriving today and that ugly thing is getting removed 100%
it’s my first Kia ever I didn’t realize the aftermarket wouldn’t just be there so I’m trying to figure it out and why not share the information

·
Registered
8 Posts

okay seems like it splits in the middle but I can’t figure out how I was able to get some rotating play but only on the lockout as for the knob itself seems to be glued to a metal plate which it more than likely bolted to the shaft if it isn’t all plastic and for the boot it’s glued on as well and unfortunately no good news I’m still stumped sorry guys at least I have my wheels coming to keep me happy I’m half tempted to get the online repair manual but some people saying it’s not worth it and please if you have any ideas I’m willing to try please share

And it looks exactly the same on the other side

·
Registered
385 Posts

That looks like it's a locking clip. I'd use a small lock pick/screwdriver (glasses repair type) or from a 20oz (similar) cut a 2 to 3 inch strip to slide/slip under clip & see if that releases it as you pull upwards?

Hard to tell from my side without being there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 79900

That looks like it's a locking clip. I'd use a small lock pick/screwdriver (glasses repair type) or from a 20oz (similar) cut a 2 to 3 inch strip to slide/slip under clip & see if that releases it as you pull upwards?

Hard to tell from my side without being there.
I have had both clips undone and tried everything but I don’t have enough maybe if I take plastic strips for a 20oz (like you said or if that’s what you mean) might help me keep unclip thanks for the input definitely gonna try tomorrow

·
Registered
28 Posts

This is a screen shot from the shop manual. Apparently the whole shifter knob and boot lifts up. It is not threaded on. The top of the shift rod has no threads but its square shaped. Were you able to make any progress with the knob its-self at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey man I just got a gt as well and I am trying to change the shift knob too but idk what to buy since i've never had a car that has a reverse lockout. You think you can send me the link of the one you bought or tell me which ones work for those types of shifters?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts