Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm looking into possibly buying a forte koup but need to know about how safe it is (obviously what the Kia website says is going to be biased). Everywhere I look says the NHTSA hasn't rated the forte yet which I'm assuming is because it's new.

Can anyone tell me if it has been rated yet by the NHTSA or if any other 3rd party agency has rated the safety of the car? Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've been curious about this too. The only ratings I've seen so far have been for the sedan, 5 stars for front and passenger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Its got a leading 6 standard airbags. Electronic stability and traction control. I hit a light pole in my 08 spectra doing about 60 right into the drivers side door. All I got was a couple of brusied knees and hands. The side air bags saved my head from hitting the caved in side, The pole bent in the frame a good 12 in. Since the forte is just the new spectra I figure the same care has been put into safety features. I didnt have traction or stability control on my spectra so I guess its better. Kia saved my life, the cops, EMT and tow truck driver all said count your lucky stars, and the tow truck driver said he'd seen a few a these and I was lucky Im not worse off or even dead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed the NHTSA and they said they only crash a car by how well it sells. Since the four door is projected to sell way more than the coupe than they will only crash test the four door. I wanted to know also because i thought it would help bring my insurance rate down

·
Registered
567 Posts
I emailed the NHTSA and they said they only crash a car by how well it sells. Since the four door is projected to sell way more than the coupe than they will only crash test the four door. I wanted to know also because i thought it would help bring my insurance rate down
That's lame.. I'd imagine they crash tests would have fairly similar results to the sedan though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was looking for such a topic. I just saw that they did not crash test the koup. I'd feel a lot better knowing there wasn't a glitch in the safety of the koup vs the sedan.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i am just taking a stab at the 2dr vs 4dr = same/similar safety ratings-

i can see alsorts of ways that the ratings could be different-
the same way roll over ratings of a car w/ or w/o sunroof could be different

after all- nowadays- car designers are making all of these collapsable/move the shock of the crash to another part of the car type designs..and the structure of the body has a lot to do with it

kinda like back in the days when some cars had suicide doors-
really- would you expect a car w/nothing but the floor and the roof to keep you safe in a t-bone crash? (and true- you had a beefy frame-but the car is still going to collapse till it got to that frame- esp.back in those days)

too bad kia isnt buying up police crash reports of the koup and displaying that data-

but in real world -
i trust this lil koup to cover my ass if some idiot were to try to kill me again in a crash.

and it appears my insurance company (usaa) trusts it also-
my rate went up about 20 dollars a month (10 payments a year)

compared to my 1 airbag/abs only/discs up front/drums rear 1995 pont grand am.

still-i'd love to finally get a true NTSB rating - just to have yet another reason to brag to all the folks i know that spent more and got less :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here in Australia they tested the Sedan without ESC and it got 4 stars. It was noted in some magazines if they tested the sedan with ESC it would have got a 5 star rating. So the Koup should be the same. The GM Cruze got a 5 star rating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts