1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
585 Posts
Lightweight pulleys can be a good upgrade 'if' you combine it with other components as well. Just using the lightweight pulley by itself with your stock engine 'might' not give you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yeah... there are a LOT of other things to do first, or in conjunction with a mod like this... you'll really not see the difference in the average day-to-day. Mods of this caliber are meant more for people who are looking to get that extra tenth at the track, and have done all the 'other things' first. Start with intake, then exhaust, wheels and tires, then maybe fuel/computer, then possibly start investigating reciprocating mass... possibly. Baby steps...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
... from what I've read so far, it helps with shifting on the vehicles with manual transmissions.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... from what I've read so far, it helps with shifting on the vehicles with manual transmissions.
and I should have mentioned this.... But that's what I get for posting later in the evening lol.

I hve a manual trans and curious if anyone replaced theirs with a MT anD if they saw a difference in shifting. If you have a MT you know first gear is super touchy and that the rpms kinda hang

·
Registered
533 Posts
and I should have mentioned this.... But that's what I get for posting later in the evening lol.

I hve a manual trans and curious if anyone replaced theirs with a MT anD if they saw a difference in shifting. If you have a MT you know first gear is super touchy and that the rpms kinda hang
Ya 1st is ridiculous and no matter what it still gets jumpy.. This would probably help...

·
Registered
746 Posts
thebeast67, a lightweight pulley will allow you to reach High RPM's quicker. if youre running boost, youll reach boost quicker. due to its lightened mass.
keep in mind stock pulley is like 4lb & yes its internally balanced.

rpm hang is a different issue.
for shifting, try a different gear oil a full synthetic.
or shifter bushing kit would definitly help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 'hanging RPMs' is more due to the engine control than reciprocating mass. The electric throttle is being held open a hair longer than it should. I don't mean that this mod wouldn't help that 'ever so slightly', but things like the alternator, ps pump, water pulley and a/c pulley all add up to a LOT more reciprocating mass than the crank pulley ever could... and there are far more mods that can make more power for far less work and complication.

Just my opinion... take it for what it is.

A 'real' mass reduction would be the flywheel... way heavier, larger diameter, and a far larger factor in spin-up times for the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 'hanging RPMs' is more due to the engine control than reciprocating mass. The electric throttle is being held open a hair longer than it should. I don't mean that this mod wouldn't help that 'ever so slightly', but things like the alternator, ps pump, water pulley and a/c pulley all add up to a LOT more reciprocating mass than the crank pulley ever could... and there are far more mods that can make more power for far less work and complication.

Just my opinion... take it for what it is.

A 'real' mass reduction would be the flywheel... way heavier, larger diameter, and a far larger factor in spin-up times for the engine.
and there are far more mods that can make more power for far less work and complication.??? Such as? This is all new to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
and there are far more mods that can make more power for far less work and complication.??? Such as? This is all new to me. Thanks.
Do a lookup for all my posts... I made this journey and went Intake, exhaust, then LCP....

I still can't say by any measure that the car revs 20% faster or so... But I kept the RRM LCP on anyways...can't hurt.

·
Registered
746 Posts
loosing/shredding rotational mass will = more power. Ex: lightweight wheels, lighter brake kits, lightened flywheel, lightened pulley or lightened pulley kits.

the stock pulley is 4lb, the roadrace one is 1lb (there is another one out of Signapore). forte is internally balanced.

other mods for more noticable gains will be better tires, lighter rims, aem filter/k&n filter (views vary), or go cai, full exhaust, headers, etc.

to take advantage of those boltons, we may have to have ECU tune, to alter the pre programmed maps since we are MAP based EFI. opinions will vary:)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
for those with manual transmissions: how is your shift from 1st to 2nd?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The touchiest I have ever driven. Never stalled any other car a hundredth of what I do in my sx.
Yea, my friends say my second year suck's ass. I get a jolt if I'm not thinking when I shift into it... the only times it's a smooth shift is when I do it very slowly, or when I reach high RPMs, sometimes it feels like I need to hold in the clutch longer in order for it to catch... 1st gear is overly sensitive, I get a rocking motion if I'm too rough on it.... 3rd gear has very low starting power/torque...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a lighter/underdrive crank pulley on my TL before and it made a nice difference.

I see some are saying the Forte is internally balanced, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had a lighter/underdrive crank pulley on my TL before and it made a nice difference. I see some are saying the Forte is internally balanced, can anyone confirm?
First, underdrive = to slow down.
A lightweight pulley, is just a lighter (by weight) crank pulley. The differences between lightweight pulley's are what it is machined out of, wether it was balanced, anodized or not, & some come in different colors. Of course, how much weight avings compared to stock. Do not confuse lightweight with underdrive or overdrive.

On topic of internally or externally ballanced. Pop youre hood, look at youre crank, Do you see an external weight device...no.

The reference to crank pulley as a damper or harmonic balancer is the thin rubber band built into it to reduce NVH.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Grip I would love to have 1/4 of the knowledge you have tucked away in that brain of yours

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are lightweight full size pulleys and lightweight underdrive pulleys. A lightweight full size pulley will decrease reciprocating mass at the crankshaft allowing the engine to rev more freely but not change the speed any accessories are spinning . Lightweight full size accessory pulleys are available to decrease rotating mass at these points as well . A lightweight underdrive pulley will spin the accessories more slowly than stock as it is smaller in diameter than the stock pulley . There is a double gain , less reciprocating mass and less parastic drag .

When would you not want to use a underdrive pulley but want a lightweight pulley ?

If you are supercharged a underdrive crank pulley will spin the supercharger slower , decreasing boost , not desireable .

If you live or travel in very hot climates you might not want to spin the water pump or a/c compressor more slowly .

If you have installed a honking sound system you might not want to spin the alternator more slowly .

·
Registered
973 Posts
for those with manual transmissions: how is your shift from 1st to 2nd?
mine was definitely something to get used to, but theres not much "jumpiness" anymore.
I let a friend drive the forte yesterday because he let me drive his rx-7 and he had problems with first

1 - 20 of 30 Posts