Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Forte Forums:

First post here, thanks for having me. I have been searching the internet for this problem, but no one seems to have a problem quite like mine, and their solutions don't seem to work anyway, which is why I have come here to ask for Forte Forums's advice. I have a Kia Forte 2010 EX.

I should start of by saying I have a key fob that looks like this:

Key Fob Example

Whenever I go to lock my door, the normal/usual behavior I use to get was this:

• Click Lock on key fob once, all doors locked and the fog lights flashed
    • Click Lock a second time rapidly after the first time, the fog lights would flash again and this time the car would give a confirmation honk assuring you everything was locked
  • Click Unlock once, driver door unlocked only with the lights flashing (no honk)
    • Click Unlock a second time rapidly after the first time, the rest of the doors would unlock with the lights flashing once more (no honk)
  • Lastly, holding the Open trunk button simply opened the trunk, no beeps or lights as far as I remember.

However, the car doesn't behave like this anymore. Now it acts like this (usually):

• Click Lock once, the car locks everything, flashes the lights, AND honks once
    • Click Lock again in quick succession and it does the same thing as the first time, making for a total of two honks
  • Click Unlock once, the car unlocks EVERYTHING, flashes the lights twice, AND honks twice
    • Click Unlock again in quick succession it unlocks everything (although at that point everything is already unlocked). No honks.
  • Holding Open Trunk sometimes works as normal. Other times, the alarm gets activated. And no, I am NOT pushing the "Alarm" button that is directly behind the "Open Trunk". I made well aware to test my clumsy hands just in case.

Now this is the new behavior. I used the word "usually" above because sometimes it doesn't act like this. Maybe an extra honk here or there. That sort of thing. But overall, this is what is usually does now. It's frustrating.

What steps have I taken to try to fix this?

• Disconnect the battery, wait for a while, and then reconnect. No luck.
  • Check every fuse. Same as it was the last time I checked. No luck.
  • Take the battery in and out of the key fob. No luck.
  • Check the owner's manual for anything about the problem. No luck.
  • Replace key fob's battery. No luck.

Some additional stuff with the car that might factor in. While I was checking the fuses, I pulled out the memory fuse (the yellow fuse block that holds both the radio and clock fuses for the car), and tried to put in two separate fuses just to see what would happen. I forgot to disconnect the battery, so when I put in the fuse for the radio, there was a tiny bit of sparking. I stopped immediately, and fixed my set-up. After putting everything back together, the clock works, but the radio doesn't anymore. Not sure what happened, but I'll probably have to replace that too. I think they are on eBay for like $70-100 so it shouldn't be too bad. Figured I would throw that in there, however because this problem existed before the radio thing, don't get too hung up on it. That's my fault.

Another bit of information. I only have the one key fob unfortunately. So I can't test if it is a car problem or a key fob problem. I opened up the fob and checked it. The circuitry itself seems intact. Might have some sort of corrupted programming, who knows.

Lastly, the car is no longer under warranty, so if there is a fix that comes to mind that requires purchasing something, I hope you guys wouldn't mind recommending the easiest one on the wallet.

tl;dr Car is not responding to key fob like it use to, not sure if it is an electrical issue or what. What should I do?

That's pretty much it. I'll give whatever you guys recommend a shot if I can. If you need anymore info, let me know.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I must say that was a very detailed description of the problem you're having. Nicely done.

Assuming there isn't an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system installed (yes there are some that utilize the factory fob), the issue could be with the body control module programming. The dealer has the ability to program the locking/unlocking sequence both for the fob and for the automatic lock/unlock. The dealer I purchased from said they would change the programming free of charge once within the first week of ownership for me.

The fob itself would not cause it to change as it only sends one specific signal per button - it would either function or fail to.

Have you recently had service performed professionally?

If you wish to purchase another fob (in addition to the one you have), you can request that the dealer change the sequence while they program the extra fob. I am unsure of the cost of such service.

Good luck with this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi nitebleu! Thanks for the speedy response. Let me answer your questions:

• No aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system has been installed (to my knowledge).
  • I've never heard of the body control module programming. Does it fail often? Or get corrupted? I am fairly certain no mechanics have messed with any programming. The last thing I had was about three months ago, which was an oil change. This problem has been around for about one month, so the timing is not that close. I would imagine something electrical/software in nature would appear more quickly after the situation has been set-up.
  • It's good to hear that it's an all or nothing situation with the fob. At least that helps rule things out a bit. Thank you for that bit of information.

I've had this car for several years now. I think I got it late 2010? Around November or so. That's why this issue struck out as so odd to me. It just seemed out of the blue. There were no services done that happened the same time as the problem, so it just seemed to be prompted by an unknown force. I have a dealership about 20 miles away that I take for any of the recalls and such, so if I need to, I can take it there if I want to get anything tweaked with the lock/unlocking sequence. I guess the strangest thing is, is there something that could make the car change its lock sequence? And even more so, make it change so sporadically? While the car typically exhibits the strange new honking behaviors that I described in my first post, it doesn't always adhere to it. It makes me feel like a wire fell out of place or something. I'm not sure. I forgot to mention in the original post, I did a thorough scan of the owner's manual as well (I'll add that in right now). Apart from a confirmation of what is considered normal behavior (see link below), I couldn't find anything.

Luckily, with the information provided in your post, we can probably conclude that the key fob is not the culprit of this problem. I'll still leave the possibility on the table, but put it on a lower priority of focus.

I look forward to hearing more from you guys. Thanks for the help so far!

Normal Key Fob/Car Behavior

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello FloridaForte and Walpole5:

Thanks for dropping by. I tried to switch out the battery this morning when I saw the response, but unfortunately, it seems someone had taken my spare button cell. I got home late, so I have not had a chance to go to the store and buy a new battery. I will do so tomorrow and report back to this thread. To answer both of your questions directly, I have not had to change the battery in several years, so it is a possibility that the battery is finally dying. I really hope this is the case because that would be such an easy fix. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again everyone. Ok, so I bought new batteries. No luck unfortunately. Still the same behavior as described above. I guess on the bright side, the probability that it is a malfunctioning key fob is going down and down, so more emphasis can be put on the car itself. I'm starting to really wonder if there is just a wire out of place that happens to be touching and gaining power every time that circuit completes, but I wouldn't know where to look to ensure that integrity.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
A quick question, do both of your key fobs cause the same behavior with the car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello everyone:

I want to also mention, I am probably going to call the dealership tomorrow and set-up an appointment. If I can't solve it by the appointment time, I'll take it in and see what they say. If they end up fixing it, I'll write down what the problem was and relay it to you guys, so at least it exists somewhere on the internet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, so the problem is resolved! Here is what happened. I took it to the dealership today for them to fix. They ended up calling me a couple of hours later, pointing out there was actually an aftermarket system installed into my car. They pointed out to me that the red LED that I thought was just part of the factory alarm system was actually connected to an after market alarm system. They said unfortunately they don't know how to disable it, but he technician did point out that the red LED was also a button. He mentioned how he had an after market alarm system in his car, and to disable it, you would have to hold the button as the car was started or some button combination. Graciously, they waived the diagnostic fee because they weren't able to correct the problem (though because of this information, I will probably call in tomorrow just to say thank you because I was able to resolve it because of this newfound knowledge). I went home, and did some research on these sort of systems, and the consensus being some combination of holding the button while turning the car on/off disabled it. I remembered that for me, the red LED was always on, and when I checked my car, I noticed that it was blinking when I locked my car. I knew that the always-on state was the state I had to get to. I began doing different combinations of holding, and clicking while turning the car on/off, until eventually while turning off the car, I clicked the red LED, and it stayed on. I began to click the key fob, and the behavior went back to normal! So now the problem is resolved, and if it ever happens again, I know what I have to fiddle with to get it to work.

My only guess in why this happened was that I accidentally tapped this button at the wrong moment leading to activation of the alarm system. However, now it is disabled again, and the factory behavior reinstated. Thank you for all your help forteforums! Considering how niche this was, I don't think anyone will ever need this information, but the least I can do is put it on just in case someone happens to have the same problem as me.

I guess just to have it on here for my sake, how to disable/enable the alarm:

• Turn car on or at least in accessory mode (where the radio and A/C have power)
  • Hold the red button down
  • Turn the car off
  • Quickly release the red button

If the red button stays lit, that means the alarm is DISABLED. If the red button is off, that means it is activated, waiting for you to lock the door. Once locked it will blink continuously.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new to this Forum so hope I'm doing this right. My husband has a 2011 Kia Forte and his key fob stopped working last week. We tried a new battery but this did not fix the problem. He has 2 other key fobs that have not been in use for some time and the new battery did not work in these either. We have avoided using his car because he had a past experience where he started his car with the turn key and the alarm went off. He is afraid to start car this way again as he will not have the key fob to shut off the alarm as he did the last time. So really I have 2 questions: #1 can we start his car with the turn key and avoid setting off the alarm? #2 do we have to buy a whole new key fob, or can it be fixed? Thanks =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so the problem is resolved! Here is what happened. I took it to the dealership today for them to fix. They ended up calling me a couple of hours later, pointing out there was actually an aftermarket system installed into my car. They pointed out to me that the red LED that I thought was just part of the factory alarm system was actually connected to an after market alarm system. They said unfortunately they don't know how to disable it, but he technician did point out that the red LED was also a button. He mentioned how he had an after market alarm system in his car, and to disable it, you would have to hold the button as the car was started or some button combination. Graciously, they waived the diagnostic fee because they weren't able to correct the problem (though because of this information, I will probably call in tomorrow just to say thank you because I was able to resolve it because of this newfound knowledge). I went home, and did some research on these sort of systems, and the consensus being some combination of holding the button while turning the car on/off disabled it. I remembered that for me, the red LED was always on, and when I checked my car, I noticed that it was blinking when I locked my car. I knew that the always-on state was the state I had to get to. I began doing different combinations of holding, and clicking while turning the car on/off, until eventually while turning off the car, I clicked the red LED, and it stayed on. I began to click the key fob, and the behavior went back to normal! So now the problem is resolved, and if it ever happens again, I know what I have to fiddle with to get it to work.

My only guess in why this happened was that I accidentally tapped this button at the wrong moment leading to activation of the alarm system. However, now it is disabled again, and the factory behavior reinstated. Thank you for all your help forteforums! Considering how niche this was, I don't think anyone will ever need this information, but the least I can do is put it on just in case someone happens to have the same problem as me.

I guess just to have it on here for my sake, how to disable/enable the alarm:

• Turn car on or at least in accessory mode (where the radio and A/C have power)
  • Hold the red button down
  • Turn the car off
  • Quickly release the red button
If the red button stays lit, that means the alarm is DISABLED. If the red button is off, that means it is activated, waiting for you to lock the door. Once locked it will blink continuously.

I have this same issue ! I can’t figure out how to fix it and my dealer is charging 300 to hook it up to their computers ! Where is this red button how can I tell it’s the issue my car locks itself over and over sounding the lock horn

·
Super Moderator
336 Posts
I have this same issue ! I can’t figure out how to fix it and my dealer is charging 300 to hook it up to their computers ! Where is this red button how can I tell it’s the issue my car locks itself over and over sounding the lock horn
Sounds more like your door lock actuator is on the fritz. Or the key fob battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Jada. My situation was relatively unique, so unless you had an after market system unknowingly installed like I did, chances are my solution won't work for you. Nonetheless, just in case, let me describe where the button was. I no longer have the car, and I think I made this post almost 5 years ago, but let's give it a shot.

So when you are sitting in the driver seat, I remember there being a red light next to your left leg. It looked like a little red light, but if you looked at it closer you'll see it is not only a little LED but also a button. I think when I got in and out of the car, my knee might have pressed the button the same time I turned off the car, thus causing this. So, once again, a small red light near the left leg while in sitting in the driver seat was where this after market system was installed for my car. Here's a pic to help visualize though hopefully it should be simply enough (link below).

Picture of button location (light green circle)

Best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts