Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car was parked on the street and a girl leaving the driveway across from me hit the gas instead of the brake and rammed the forte right in to the front yard :eek:. Most of the damage appears to be to the quarter panel but I'll have to get a better look tomorrow in the daylight. The back alloy wheel also looks a little banged up and there may be some very light damage to the area below the back door. The police officer that handled the situation woke me up to tell me what happened. It was obvious the other person was at fault, a police report was filed, and I contacted their insurance company who I am meeting with tomorrow and all seems to be in order.
Anyway, if anyone has been through something similar I'd welcome any advice about handling the situation. According to the insurance company, they will cut me a check and then I can have any one/place I like do the repairs. So, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get the parts I need for a much cheaper price than I'm likely to be quoted? What would be the cheapest way to get the work done and still maintain quality of work and resell value?
Any other experienced wisdom or helpful thoughts would be great. I want to make sure the forte is put back together the right way but I also wouldn't mind coming out ahead on the deal since I've probably already lost some of the resell value by being involved with this (even though I was sleeping!)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

(2010 Bronze Forte sedan EX)
Let me know if you have a cheap driver side quarter panel! :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I am sorry buddy, hope her insurance covers it.

and as for the fact that it was a honda, it reminds me of a saying

"if you don't like' em beat them and if you can't beat them, then join them"

·
Registered
644 Posts
My advice is to try and stay away from women drivers, and hondas, especially women in hondas... lol ( women with fortes are ok though ;) )

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Your car needs professional body work. If you just needed to purchase, say, a new bumper and have it painted/installed I would say you could save 65% by going to a Midas or One Day Paint type place for painting then install yourself.

BUT for resale value's sake you should have your rear quarter panel professionally repaired. In my experience it's a lot harder to get quality dent/bondo work done on the cheap. Unless you really need the extra money I'd spend what insurance gave you on the repairs.

Oh and thiefness, you better watch it. Karma will come around and you'll be next to get hit by an old lady in a Honda.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hit. I would suggest that you visit at least three bodyshops and try to get a feel of who does the best work. Ask each one how they will go about the repair and what are the steps [there are different options when painting a car]. What is the warranty on their work? Will they repaint it if it doesn't hold up? Can they paint one area and blend it in or do they have to paint an entire section? I had a BMW that took a similiar hit and the bodyshop I chose did a 'good' job but not a great job. I told them I was not happy and they did it over and then it came out great. They key is to tell them up front that you are very picky about the end result and that you will request that they do it again if it is less than perfect-so they have to make the effor to to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
So my car was parked on the street and a girl leaving the driveway across from me hit the gas instead of the brake and rammed the forte right in to the front yard :eek:. Most of the damage appears to be to the quarter panel but I'll have to get a better look tomorrow in the daylight. The back alloy wheel also looks a little banged up and there may be some very light damage to the area below the back door. The police officer that handled the situation woke me up to tell me what happened. It was obvious the other person was at fault, a police report was filed, and I contacted their insurance company who I am meeting with tomorrow and all seems to be in order.
Anyway, if anyone has been through something similar I'd welcome any advice about handling the situation. According to the insurance company, they will cut me a check and then I can have any one/place I like do the repairs. So, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get the parts I need for a much cheaper price than I'm likely to be quoted? What would be the cheapest way to get the work done and still maintain quality of work and resell value?
Any other experienced wisdom or helpful thoughts would be great. I want to make sure the forte is put back together the right way but I also wouldn't mind coming out ahead on the deal since I've probably already lost some of the resell value by being involved with this (even though I was sleeping!)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

(2010 Bronze Forte sedan EX)
Let me know if you have a cheap driver side quarter panel! :rolleyes:
Most big insurance companys will have one or two places that they'll recomend,and 9 out of ten times the work is guarantee for life so honestly its not a bad thing, if its a local guy.

Also look around the shop outside and see what kind of cars are there.. guys with great reputations will have very nice cars sitting around for there magic hands.. like old clasics or high end sports cars etc..

Check out maco.. for example of place you'd be better off running away from..
* far as I've seen and been told Maco has a bad rep of rushing paint and doing sloopy work*

Last you can have your insurance company write the check out too whatever body shop you choose, if you don't want to be tempted buy the money ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't see any parts you're going to be buying, so most of the money's going to go towards labor. Get it fixed right because if they do a shitty job and the bondo/ paint flakes down the road, their insurance company isn't going to cut you another check.

2,213 Posts
If you lived near me I'd say go with my guy, he'd cut that piece out and weld a new one in. He's actually so good, when cars from the dealerships are damaged during shipping they send them to him and he fixes them to perfection. So much so that the dealers never claim the damage and still sell them as brand new. Shhhhhhh don't buy cars in staten island! lol

By the way, I would avoid dent pulling and bondo with that. See if they would actually repair it with new sheet metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.