Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I'm new to kia so bare with me. I have 2015 forte lx 1.8L 4 with 77,xxxx miles, its a salvage title. Now when I brought the car within 6 months the transmission starts leaking. I took it to my local shop and they change the transmission from LKQ but when I start driving it shifts hard in the first 3 gears. I took it back and they change transmission once more. That didn't do anything. Then we went to the dealership and asked them to flush it but no luck. After 2 months I went to a different shop, they test it and said the transmission is bad. I ask them to change it and they did without any luck and they also change the computer for the transmission. He said "I don't trust this car anymore. What else to do?" He told me to drive it around for 6 months and come and I will change it once more. Now that I told you the story, I really need your help as it already cost me $3500.
Thank you!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hard to see a hard shift in a video.
Have you tried shifting manually? Does it shift hard that way?
Also, did they use the correct trans fluid? Hyundai/Kia take a specific one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to see a hard shift in a video.
Have you tried shifting manually? Does it shift hard that way?
Also, did they use the correct trans fluid? Hyundai/Kia take a specific one.
Thank you for your advice however it still dose that in the manual. I am sure the mechanic put a generic ATF fluid which is rated for Kia also. I will try to change the fluid.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good god, a sign of someone not knowing what they're doing is replacing something twice and getting the same result. Run. Run far away from that shop. I would've stopped going there after the second replacement.

Nova is correct, our transmissions take a very specific fluid and it's NOT cheap. I believe it ranged from $9 to 14 dollars a quart but can be higher. It's called SPIV (SP4)

First things first, do not let them replace the transmission again. That's clearly not the underlying issue here overall. Next, I would have the motor mounts checked to make sure they are not worn out heavily. Small wrinkles are okay but big tears and hollowing means it's time to replace

Following up, t's a good idea to make sure we are running the correct fluid because everything else depends on that. So either verify that they used the correct fluid or change it with SPIV.

Next, let's take it to the dealer and make sure all updates are complete on it. I do recall one where there was a shift concern and the update fixed it. The PCM was updated and the transmission values were reset. This is important that they be reset or else the computer will believe we are still operating on previous problematic values and the update will be for nothing.

Speaking of computers, the engine and transmission computer are housed in one unit and do NOT typically go bad. So let's shut that idea out for now.

While you're there, it wouldn't help to get friendly with the writer or service technician and ask if they can scan the transmission for codes. It literally takes 2 to 3 minutes.

One more slightly common thing with the 6 speed automatic transmissions is that the transmission temperature sensor goes bad, causing a harsh shift engagement. Just something to think about, but for pete's sake, stop replacing the transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts