Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a sedan (ex), 7800 miles on it, and for the last few months I've had serious problems:

The "ESC" (stability control) light is stuck on, after that usually the TPMS light comes on too, then I lose the dash indicator that shows what gear I'm in, the drivers side airbag light is stuck on, and my FUEL ECONOMY GOES WAAAAY DOWN (like 16mpg). the car also drives a little rougher, and my ABS acted weird a few times (engaging when I was just applying slight brake pressure).

The car occasionally won't shift out of first or sometimes second gear in automatic mode, just keeps revving higher and higher, so I have to drive in manual or "sport" mode when that happens.

I took it to the dealer after these things had been happening on and off for several weeks. they looked at it, insisted it just needed a reflash of the ECU (or ECM they called it, but I think it's the ECU), and something reset in the airbag control unit.

Problems came back 2 days later. I brought it in, same treatment, and problems came back later.

Had to wait a week driving it like that before they would give me a loaner (we only have this one car, so I can't have them keep it over night without a loaner). They got on the phone with headquarters supposedly, who walked them through the process of resetting the CAN --> BUS controller. from what I understand, electronic interface between drivetrain sensors and electronic system of the car.

4 days later - SAME PROBLEM.

This time I called Kia of America, and they assured me that they'll get "regional manager" involved (after I told them I was going to invoke the lemon law and require a new car or a refund).

I got contacted by the Hawaii "Service Manager" (i'm in Hawaii), not a regional manager.

He was very helpful on the phone, but when I took the car in, they still won't really hear me out. They keep trying to find a cheap fix for the car. I really think the entire computer control system needs to be replaced, but honestly, i don't give a damn. I want a new car. I have zero confidence in this car now, and the way they've treated this case makes me very afraid to even drive it after they "fix" it. How do I know if it's going to go crazy on the freeway, and my ABS will suddenly kick in again, or the airbags will deploy?

Do any of you have ANY advice on how I should proceed?

I know the Forte is an EXCELLENT car. I really want to keep one, but I feel that mine is definitely a "LEMON" and I should have a new one, or equivalent, since they can't fix mine.

any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and one more thing I forgot: the recent "fix" that the Hawaii Service Manager called me about last night was to switch out the drivers seat.

This makes me irate, because the reason they did that is that when I brought it in the only symptom showing was the drivers' side airbag light.

I am furious, because they know very well that all the other issues are intermittent. they are there MOST of the time, but they do disappear sometimes.

for them to base their "fix" on the SINGLE symptom showing right now is just unacceptable and ridiculous.

/rant

sorry. hehe. i'm very emotional about this.

oh, and he called last night to let me know that one of the mechanics was going to drive MY CAR home and leave it at his house overnight, and drive back, so that they could check symptoms. HOW UNPROFESSIONAL is that? I'm very upset. that's MY CAR, MY BABY. It may not be a ferrari, but to me it might as well be, since I put every penny I had into it, and I love it. They're treating it like some piece of crap.

arrrgh

·
Registered
576 Posts
Gee that is very strange it seems like something major wrong with the ECU. Your lucky you have the lemon law over there in the US.
If it was me I would be taking it back in as many times as I could to the dealer, once you have proof that the car has been in so many times without the problem being fixed you would have better case to push for a new car.
I think the whole thing of warranty stinks, over here they give a 5 year warranty it sounds good on paper but trying to get the dealers to fix a problem is impossible at times. You have to keep returning the car because the dealer will try the quick fix thing instead of properly fixing the car in the first place.
If you can do without your car keep taking it into the dealers until you have built up a record and documentation that your car is faulty

·
Registered
973 Posts
definitely keep records for when you file for the lemon law, get a replacement vehicle or refund, whichever you feel you need. Do it before something major screws up and you get in a wreck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! Man, I hope I can find my receipts from each visit. I only for sure have 3 of them.

But yeah, after this time, if problems happen again (which I'm pretty sure they will) I am going to try to find a lawyer who can advise me. I don't really have money for legal advice though. sigh.. I don't know..

The car is really good when it works. I like it better than my last two toyotas, and better by far than my old ford focus. I do feel that Kia themselves are being cheap though, and trying to avoid really spending money on a real fix. They're not too bright though. They may have saved money in the long run in terms of man-hours, if they had just switched out some major components.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
definitely keep records for when you file for the lemon law, get a replacement vehicle or refund, whichever you feel you need. Do it before something major screws up and you get in a wreck!
any idea how to proceed with invoking the lemon law in the first place? is there some bureau in charge of such matters, or do I just walk in to the dealership and say "I want a replacement for my lemon, yo!" ? hehe.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe there should be paperwork included in or with the owners maual that tells you what to do concerning the lemmon law. I've never looked at it closely since it didn't concern me, but I believe it's there.

·
Registered
973 Posts
any idea how to proceed with invoking the lemon law in the first place? is there some bureau in charge of such matters, or do I just walk in to the dealership and say "I want a replacement for my lemon, yo!" ? hehe.
like the poster right before me, I'm not really sure at all how to go about doing it. And maybe you can find a lawyer who will work from the results of the case (i.e. you getting your money back, kind of like some personal injury lawyers do? not really sure. May want to get your money back and get a new forte from a different dealership, or just take this one to a different dealership, for a second opinion. Pretty much positive you don't have to remain with the dealership if you aren't satisifed with their service. All said, good luck and I hope you can get it worked out soon:)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
The dealer you took your car to has the records you seek -- ask the service manager politely for copies of each time you took your car in for problems.

Not being there in person I'm going out on a limb...sounds like they are not doing a full diagnostic check. Once they reset the ECU they don't see any problems (or can't find any) and stop looking. Their technicians may not be "up to speed" on the electrical system either.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The trouble is there's no more good mechanics left these days, they are all technicians who only rely on what a diagnostic computer tells them, they don't know how to problem shoot. If they reset the ECU they think the problems solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts