Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive been seeing the new ad for the 2011 optima boasting 200hp with a 2.4L... Just out of curiosity what is the difference between the fortes 2.4L and the optimas?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Ok so ive been seeing the new ad for the 2011 optima boasting 200hp with a 2.4L... Just out of curiosity what is the difference between the fortes 2.4L and the optimas?
Direct injection and a slight boost in compression.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yep, direct injection and compression boost... BUT Im GLAD that the engines in our cars arent as high of a compression.. because higher compression makes it harder to go turbo. If someone with the 200hp 2.4 decided to go turbo, there would be a lot of engine work involved to make sure the internals can handle the boost and to lower compression.. ideal compression pre-turbo is at least 9:1. Turbokits.com is kinda pushin it by puttin a turbo in our 2.4s now (we have 10.5:1 compression) but their test car seems to be holding up perfectly at 7-ish psi of boost, I would go no more than 8psi though.

But if you dont plan on going turbo its pretty nice to have that higher compression.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think the '11 Optima is sexy...Would have got that if I had waited....

·
Registered
5 Posts
just out of curiosity, do you know what vehicle specifications are?

you answered your own question.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
for $26k i would spend an extra 5k to get a beemer or lex...

the sorrento would be a better buy. just test drove both.
Get a whimpy 328i or a turbo Optima?

Hmm I'd take the topped out Optima. Now if we're talking 335i or M3 that's another story but that ain't $5k more.

·
Registered
312 Posts
the turbo optima just came out too. 274 hp running 14.5psi and was made to run off of 87 octane regular gas.
Wow! I'm suprised Kia wanted to go 1 bar on it, damn.

Reckless makes a good point, the Forte is more "flexible" when it comes to wanting it na or boost. The Forte is pretty safe at 7psi, but if you want more power without touchin' the internals, just run a bigger turbo at 7 psi (expect a huge boost lag :( ). Psi is what breaks engines, not the amount of airflow.

·
Registered
522 Posts
All that i know is i drove the optima turbo today this thing is fast , i so hope that they put that engine in the forte koupe 273 hp in this thing it will be scary to drive, but very fun to drive

·
Registered
204 Posts
How hard would it be if I took my 2011 sedan to Kia and asked them to drop in the Optima turbo engine in place of mine. Do you think theres a way of trading engines and paying the difference (Incl. Labor)? Just a Q? Thanks, thought of going and asking them when I get my oil changed. but being that im more of a Tech guy and not a Engine guy im sure its a lot of work or maybe not.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
How hard would it be if I took my 2011 sedan to Kia and asked them to drop in the Optima turbo engine in place of mine. Do you think theres a way of trading engines and paying the difference (Incl. Labor)? Just a Q? Thanks, thought of going and asking them when I get my oil changed. but being that im more of a Tech guy and not a Engine guy im sure its a lot of work or maybe not.
I think swap motor should be around 5k minimum

·
Registered
45 Posts
a dealership would never do it. the motor would go in fine but the problem is the electronics would all have to be changed which would be a pita. i thought of doing this too but i would wait to find a wrecked turbo optima and take the motor out of it. that would be alot cheaper because it would have all the electronics in it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^^
Yup I too have that plan one day down the road :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts