Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Anyone, please. So today I went to a) get my oil changed, and b) have two new tires placed on the front wheels. My mileage is 34,900 miles so I just had them also check the transmission fluid, which they said was fine. Yay! Feeling good about my Forte once more! Drive it off, stopped and started I'd say around five or six other times (running errands, etc.) Then I do a quick stop at the grocery store, go to start it up, WILL NOT SHIFT. NOTHING. I try everything. Finally I had to use that shift lock "button" to move it out of PARK and get it home. But then it wouldn't go back into park, it would only go to NEUTRAL, and stick there. Had to use the stupid "button" to get it back into PARK.

I've pushed on the brakes, then tried to shift, I've turned the key this way, that way, checked the first fuse in the dash (which if I read right in the manual should be connected to all of this, fuse looks fine, not burned out) WHAT the heck? Does ANYONE have any suggestions (other than taking it to the dealership, I mean. That's an obvious one.) THANKS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PS - It had been raining, but nothing crazy. And the first start up post rain was without fault, but the second start up post rain resulted in the stuck PARK shift. Not sure if that even matters, but just in case (I keep thinking it could have something to do with the new tires?)

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I think it just might be coincidence that this happened after your service. Take it to the dealer, it sounds like issue with the safety interlocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BigE! (Thanks for NOTHING, future.) If it was indeed the safety interlocks would you expect that to be covered under warranty? (I'm HOPING so!)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
All of it will be covered under warranty as long as you didn't cause it. Just to save yourself a headache I'd leave out the part about anyone touching the transmission. i doubt they did anything but it would give the dealer more ammo to deny warranty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I see the problem it's an automatic!!! Shoulda got a 6-speed manual!! Lol jk jk

In all seriousness, that should be covered under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and have them look into it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It sounds like the shift interlock is broken. Have you tried to manually override the interlock? There is a pop out plug to the top left of the shifter..

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Finally I had to use that shift lock "button" to move it out of PARK and get it home. But then it wouldn't go back into park, it would only go to NEUTRAL, and stick there. Had to use the stupid "button" to get it back into PARK.
It sounds like the shift interlock is broken. Have you tried to manually override the interlock? There is a pop out plug to the top left of the shifter..

Maybe he did?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duncanville1, yeah, that's the only way I could get it home.

Turns out it was a faulty brake pad sensor that wasn't "communicating" with the gear shift. Fixed at the dealership, and covered by the warranty, so yay! Thanks for all your help, everyone!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Congrats on getting this fixed. Never would have thought the brake pad sensor would have caused that. Great info. Oh and pay Future no mind. He's an attention hog. . .:cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmm, weird.
Our Spectra developed a stiff interlock button last winter. I took it to the dealer, it works it just works not as well as it should. They said they can't do anything until it goes kaput.

Well, that's fine, that means the car will have to be towed when the shifter becomes inoperable.

I considered a jolt or two of silicone spray into the mechanism, but if that doesn't fix it and it eventually fails, I can see KIA denying repair due to "unauthorized monkeying with parts."

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2011 SX sedan (with only 2800 miles) started giving me this problem on Wednesday night. I used the shift release button to get it out of park, but never had the problem of getting it back into park.

I took it to the dealership on Thursday. They said the had to order a new automatic shift lever assembly.

edit: The mechanic suggested tapping on the top of the shifter in the mean time (until the parts come in next week)...and it seems to work so far! Still frustrating, but not as frustrating as having to use a paperclip to hit the shift release button on my brand new car!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Duncanville1, yeah, that's the only way I could get it home.

Turns out it was a faulty brake pad sensor that wasn't "communicating" with the gear shift. Fixed at the dealership, and covered by the warranty, so yay! Thanks for all your help, everyone!
So just ran into the same problem tonight when I got in from rehearsal. Just need to press in the release button for the shifter. I would have freaked had you not posted this. Headed to the dealership in the morning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts