Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood

I used a nice flat jack stand with flat rubber pads, and the frame rail actually squished in!!

This is in the REAR where there is not as much weight. What the heck?

I thought this was an acceptable secondary jack point?

·
Registered
414 Posts
View attachment 88058

I used a nice flat jack stand with flat rubber pads, and the frame rail actually squished in!!

This is in the REAR where there is not as much weight. What the heck?

I thought this was an acceptable secondary jack point?
It’s not a jack point... it’s technically a reinforcement and not considered a frame rail.. they can transfer energy but can’t handle weight or impact in an isolated area...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s not a jack point... it’s technically a reinforcement and not considered a frame rail.. they can transfer energy but can’t handle weight or impact in an isolated area...
So basically...the forte doesn't have any frame rails.

Will this affect anything now that it's deformed? I plan on just leaving it alone now.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Will this affect anything now that it's deformed? I plan on just leaving it alone now.
From the firewall forward is frame rail... the rear frame rails go over the wheelhouse area towards the rear body panel. It will be just fine.. it happens all the time.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

Leave it alone. It won't change structure integrity, Performance & it's fine.

Just don't jack up in the same spots.

On my 2010 koup, the oem scissor jack is to be used at the pinch welds. We'll I did that & bent the crumple structure.

There's a difference in sound. Solid steel (higher pitch) vs soft metal (low thump).

At home I use the floor jack at the torsion bar (with a block of wood on the jack plate) & the front frame rail (front tow hook area)

I'll use the factory jack at the pinch welds if & when a flat happens even though I despise it.

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
2010 Koup SX
748 Posts
I always jack it up at the locations specified in the manual, never had any issues. I have crumpled them a few times in the past though on older cars with rust. Definitely does not affect safety or structural integrity, I see it all the time.

Not gonna lie, I wince every time I pump the jack though, waiting for crumpling to occur. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leave it alone. It won't change structure integrity, Performance & it's fine.

Just don't jack up in the same spots.

On my 2010 koup, the oem scissor jack is to be used at the pinch welds. We'll I did that & bent the crumple structure.

There's a difference in sound. Solid steel (higher pitch) vs soft metal (low thump).

At home I use the floor jack at the torsion bar (with a block of wood on the jack plate) & the front frame rail (front tow hook area)

I'll use the factory jack at the pinch welds if & when a flat happens even though I despise it.

Hope this helps
Yes this is helpful. I use my trolley/floor jack at the same exact points, no problems.

But where do you put your jack stands?

Pinch welds only?

In the front I can get away with putting the flat top jack stands under the ball joints of the lower arms as a secondary place.

Is there any alternative place to put jack stands in the rear?

I only ask because I like to work on my forte a lot, and the pinch welds are already deforming.

I have heard you can put jack stands under the rear springs or on the rear axle somewhere?

Though to be truthful, my rear pinch welds are looking ok. Its my front pinch welds that are starting to bend and crumple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts