Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys !

The thing is i want bigger treys from better handling and turning ! ( 4 Wheels )

so i'm thinking to move up from 215/45/17

to one of those :

225/45/17 ( I think this will fit with no problems ! )
235/45/17
245/45/17

so which size is best from fast turning and better handling ? also will those fit on the 17" stock rim ?

i didn't want to go with bigger profile because i don't want the car to be higher and lose handling. The point is gain more handling at Corning !

thanks guys

·
Registered
28 Posts
225's should be fine, but if you want better cornering your going to want to get stickier tires, size wont matter as much as the quality and grip level of the tire. I had falken rt615's on my old civic they work great as a summer tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shattered.stars :) i'm not going to change the Stock rims :) 17" are fine with me

I was thinking on the KU31 ECSTA SPORT KUMHO 225/45/17 ! they look good for winter/summer !

btw :

will 2 REAR 235/45/17 and Front 225/45/17 better than 4 X 225 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
You should make sure the tire fits the rim before you buy it. (235 on stock rim?)

And, just so you know (you don't see to realize that), if you're going wider, you're gonna have to go with a lower profile number, otherwise you'll end up with a taller tire! The next size matching the overall OEM wheel/tire diameter the closest is 235/40-17, but again, I don't know if 235s will fit the stock wheels.

Also, a staggered setup on a FWD econobox with stock suspension is totally useless and will most likely cause even more understeer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
235/40 is your best bet. Keep them the same size all around as you may screw up the traction control

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would say go with a 225 tire on a 17" rim, it will be a nice balance of comfort and performance. I use a tire size calculator to see the closest size to stock for what I want. I would say 225/45/17 will be closest to stock size for you. Also you need tires with good grip, I loved having Toyo Proxes 4, but my Falken RT615's were a great tire while I had them. You could also look at Goodyear Eagle F1's but I hear they can get pricey.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would say go with a 225 tire on a 17" rim, it will be a nice balance of comfort and performance. I use a tire size calculator to see the closest size to stock for what I want. I would say 225/45/17 will be closest to stock size for you. Also you need tires with good grip, I loved having Toyo Proxes 4, but my Falken RT615's were a great tire while I had them. You could also look at Goodyear Eagle F1's but I hear they can get pricey.
I don't get what you're saying. Are you implying that 225 on a 17" rim will result in better comfort and performance than another width ? 'cuz they're not really related....

Also 225/45-17 will result in a taller overall wheel/tire diameter and will mess up the speedo/odometer reading.

Eagle F1s are too expensive for what they offer, btw.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
i am getting 215/50/17 fills in alot of gaps tires are chunky theres a sell at any firestone 60 a tire cant beat that primewell pz900 w rating

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't get what you're saying. Are you implying that 225 on a 17" rim will result in better comfort and performance than another width ? 'cuz they're not really related....

Also 225/45-17 will result in a taller overall wheel/tire diameter and will mess up the speedo/odometer reading.

Eagle F1s are too expensive for what they offer, btw.
I never said better, I said balance, he could get 19"s with 25 side walls and have a harsh ride or he can go to 15's with a 65 side wall and nice comfy tires. I just think that a good balance would be 225/45/17. And when I checked it against the tire size calculator his speedometer would only be off by 1.9%. So if he is doing 100 mph it would show 102 mph.

If he changes the tire size not mater what it will through off the odometer as the car is set to a specific size.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I never said better, I said balance
Gotcha.

If he changes the tire size not mater what it will through off the odometer as the car is set to a specific size.
If he keeps the same overall diameter, even though the size is not the same (ie 215/45-17 vs 235/40-17), the odo will not be off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guys kia dealer eng. said that change wheels size will not effect speedo meter as prove that all forte with 15 / 16 / 17 " rims go the same sensor on the axe of the front wheels !

guys what about 225/50/17 ? or even 22/55/17 ?

I want those wheels to be more comfortable on bad ways that I drive on !

thanks!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I like my Goodyear Eagle LS2s!!! I find them to be a excellent blend of handling, tire noise, and comfort. I am interested too though as to how big a tire will fit on the stock rims.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yes, 225/45-17 will fit the stock wheels It’s only 10 mm wider than the stock 215/45-17 tire.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am running 225/45-17 on stock wheels, no problem whatsoever. You could run 235/40-17 on stock wheels, but they are really recommended for 7.5" or wider rims. As far as handling goes, without compromising comfort, I have settled fro Pirelli Pzero AS+, which for the Forte is a bit overkill, but I'm amazed how much more precise I steer through quick bends, where before, on the stock Nexen CP671 I corrected a lot. Also, the speedo difference to 215/45-17 is 1.6%, BUT the car comes stock with 16'' and 205/55/-16 and compared to those, difference is 0.4%. Negligible, either way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts