Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd post a new thread here since I have a five-door. I'm considering a front strut bar, but still have a few questions (yes I've searched).

* My five-door's diagnostic port is mounted to the top of the driver's side strut tower. For those that have installed a bar, did you move the port mount? If so, where?

* I found what I think are the torque specs for the upper strut mounting bolts; at ~5 lb/ft(!), I don't know why they even bothered. Since the upper bolts basically serve to keep the struts from falling out of the fender when you jack the car up, they don't need huge amounts of torque. I assume the bolt holes have no provision (ie over-sized) for alignment adjustment.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I figured I'd post a new thread here since I have a five-door. I'm considering a front strut bar, but still have a few questions (yes I've searched).

* My five-door's diagnostic port is mounted to the top of the driver's side strut tower. For those that have installed a bar, did you move the port mount? If so, where?

* I found what I think are the torque specs for the upper strut mounting bolts; at ~5 lb/ft(!), I don't know why they even bothered. Since the upper bolts basically serve to keep the struts from falling out of the fender when you jack the car up, they don't need huge amounts of torque. I assume the bolt holes have no provision (ie over-sized) for alignment adjustment.

Thanks for any input.
The Vibrant strut bar(The one that comes on the Koup-R) just tells you to unbolt the port. Install the bar, then put the port on top of the brackets with a new longer bolt.

2,213 Posts
I have the ultraracing bar....and I have no clue what you're talking about! Lol got a pic of the port? Maybe I can tell from that an help you out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's the port location:

I stole this from the Ultraracing website. As you can see, it appears that the port is still in the same location. Is there a cutout in the bar mounting plate for the top of the mounting bolt?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's not too much trouble, a picture of the installed strut bar mount would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tebore, thanks for your response also. Did Vibrant include a longer bolt for the port mount with their bar? I have to look at a picture of the Vibrant since I'm not familiar with that one...

2,213 Posts
What's your email? I'm on my cell and I can't post pics from it but I can send emails....actually working on the car right now so I can take a pic

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. If you can post the pic here I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's a very useful, informative picture. Thank you very much.

As far as the hole on both sides, I assume the bar company is probably making one product for world-wide distribution (right-hand drive markets).

I think I saw your old post/pictures of the RRM bar. Do you notice any difference between the different bars? Just curious...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Strut mounting nuts - the ones on the top of the strut tower would torque to 40 newton metres, IMO. Not sure about conversions buts thats about 30 foot lbs.

5 ft lbs is a bit low I think.

Lower down suspension, arms and bushes, control arm bushes would be around 70 ft/lbs to 100 ft/lbs depending on component.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts