Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2022 Kia Forte GT with the 1.6 turbocharged engine. The owner's manual says I can use 87 octane gas but doesn't mention what type of engine (turbocharged or not) Would it better for my turbocharged engine to use premium 92 octane gas or what the owners manual says 87 octane

·
Registered
374 Posts
Recently purchased a 2022 Kia Forte GT with the 1.6 turbocharged engine. The owner's manual says I can use 87 octane gas but doesn't mention what type of engine (turbocharged or not) Would it better for my turbocharged engine to use premium 92 octane gas or what the owners manual says 87 octane
87 is fine.... 92 if you have aggressive mods... that’s my opinion. I can’t tell the difference.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,781 Posts
If you drive like a normal person 87 octane is sufficient...:)

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
974 Posts
would my 2022 Kia Forte GT 1.6 turbocharged benefit from a Red Line complete fuel system cleaner with 87 octane gas
It would benefit more from running premium gas from a station that has Top Tier premium.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
528 Posts
87 is fine for normal driving. I run 91 for extra protection measure to prevent pinging even when I was stock. You don't need the red line stuff, yet. I would wait until you hit over 20k miles to use it. It is kinda expensive to use on every fill at the pump. I would use top tier fuel instead.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
840 Posts
I agree with ForteGT2 about the Techron. I've been using it for over 20 years and have NEVER had a fuel related problem with any of my cars. I alternate every oil change with a bottle of the Techron Fuel System Cleaner and Fuel Injector Cleaner.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
974 Posts
I agree with ForteGT2 about the Techron. I've been using it for over 20 years and have NEVER had a fuel related problem with any of my cars. I alternate every oil change with a bottle of the Techron Fuel System Cleaner and Fuel Injector Cleaner.
I’ve never run fuel cleaner through any of my cars and none of them have ever had any fuel system issues. That being said, I do run top tier all the time in the turbos and cars that call for it and once every oil change in cars that don’t. I’d just stick to running top tier premium.

Reactions: garlyn53 and Chuzz

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,781 Posts
I’ve never run fuel cleaner through any of my cars and none of them have ever had any fuel system issues. That being said, I do run top tier all the time in the turbos and cars that call for it and once every oil change in cars that don’t. I’d just stick to running top tier premium.
I run Techron once a year as per Kia, however, I can't tell any difference after using it. But I'll continue to do it, and document it, should any warranty issues crop up...:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Shrug.

I have never seen fuel related problems, more of this has come up since direct injection has become standard equipment in vehicles.

The GT will make more power depending on the fuel, there isn't a marked difference between 87-91 octane unless you try to find it.

That said, I have run 87-91 octane. 87 was in the car when I bought it, shrug. It didn't run much better with 91.

The change came when I added some E85, that woke the car up. I went to the dyno to confirm it and yep the car picked up 11 whp.

The human body doesn't feel much below that, if the car picks up less than that switching from 87 to even 94 octane won't notice much without instrumentation.

Turbo car especially don't like knock and you won't ever know it's knocking because the first sign of it can only be picked up with headphones and the proper equipment. it will remove all ignition advance down to zero. If it persist, it will start to reduce timing.

Don't believe me? Go get a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter and download Torque Pro. You don't even have to configure it, read the overall timing or global advance.

Of course there is more to E85 than an octane increase.

I tried something else later when I bought the JB4 because there is low risk with the fuel wire enabled.

That's when it made even more power with less boost.

When leaving the dyno on this fuel, the car spun 1st, spun 2nd and barked 3rd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts