Kia Forte Forum banner

Fuel Additive

7K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  elmerb 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the commercially available fuel additives to increase HP/MPG? I found one my friend is using with a 5-6 MPG increase. For the cost, this will save money (more as gas prices go up).

$5 per tank additive = 60 extra miles per tank (2 gallons of fuel saved)
$3.84 per gallone = $7.68
Savings of $2.68 per tank (2 tanks a week) = $278 a year.

I'm a believer of if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't, but for $5 it's worth throwing money at once.

I'll post my results when I get it and would like to know if anyone else has previous experience.

#2 ·
Sounds interesting, but too many variables go into increased mpg's and I'm not one to spend time calculating numbers. Glad someone else is lol. What's in the fuel additive?

#8 ·
I don't want to mention it's name, because I'm not advertising or selling this product. After I post my results, positive or negative, if anyone is interested in the name, I can field questions via PM.

#3 ·
Seriously....?

You should know by now it's snake oil.

#6 ·
I have an actual test result to go on, from someone who has used it and now puts it in every tank. It's not available yet at your local stores or anything like ebay, it's only on a very limited distribution.

#7 ·
The sample only being $5 (shipped) wouldn't make them any money. They do offer constant shipments (monthly) if you like the product.

#5 ·
not sure about MPG... but if you want an HP boost once in a great while... the only thing I've ever tried (although it was with the cobalt) that worked with actual noticeable different HP power and letting me slip a bit farther into redline without the car feeling like "please no more, change gear"... Cam 2 pump gas, it's 100 octane... it's also $7.49 or higher a gallon... it's unleaded so it's not gonna kill your fuel filter or anything like those leaded race gases they sell at the track. stock time for 'balt was 13.9-14.1.. with Cam 2 I was down to 13.6.. Not saying it's a definite on our cars, but it's probably your best bet for real performance from fuel. Don't think it will work if you buy one gallon of Cam 2 and then fill your tank with regular... I bought 5 gallons with about 2 or less gallons of 93 octane... First time I bought it I tore up the NJ Turnpike like crazy lol...

#14 ·
If it works, I'll give it a thumbs up and the name.
If it doesn't, I don't see any reason to give it any free advertisement.

#16 ·
Seriously, put a half pint of something in your tank and expecting it to increase MPG that much? A speed shop owner once threw me a bottle of SoCal fuel additive to try for free. After I used twice the recommended amount and still got no benefit he stopped selling it.

#18 ·
I'm of the same mind. You at least thought it was worth trying even twice. I'm not sure where everyone is getting that I'm trying to sell anything here.

But what would you have done if it had worked? Would you have told anyone about it? Would they have believed you? I guess in hindsight I should have just left this be until after I had some kind of my result myself. I was just interested to see if others had used them. All I get is "you are only posting this because you want us all to buy some" type of responses.

#17 ·
Just because it works in one vehicle, does not mean it will work as well in all vehicles. I suspect it has alot of detergents in it that may help older cars that have not being using top tier fuel.

The reason for not mentioning the name was to avoid the type of discussion we are getting into now. I am not affiliated with this company in any way other than have a friend that has used it.

I guess "commercially" available was a bad term. I just meant you can't buy it at your local NAPA type store.

The product is called xFT. It will either work for me or it won't. On someone's suggestion that they did make money on my $5, I called and asked them for a free sample to try and if that does not work, I return my unused portion for a full refund, per the guarantee they claim to offer.

About & How Xtreme Fuel Treatment (XFT) saves you on Gas! | BetterNetworker.com
I don't know who wrote this review. I'm only posting it "AS IS" information. I know any claim is as worthless as the paper it is written on. Which is why I plan on testing it myself.

Even with my results, again take them or leave them. I will not be on here trying to sell the product.

#20 · (Edited)
. On someone's suggestion that they did make money on my $5, I called and asked them for a free sample to try and if that does not work, I return my unused portion for a full refund, per the guarantee they claim to offer.
You return the free sample and they refund your money?

If it's the $5 product, how much does it cost to mail back to them?

Utah is known for two things... the first is obvious... the second is some of the highest rates of MLM. Syntek is nothing more then another MLM product... such as Amway sells.

Let me say that again.... Syntek is nothing more then a Multi Level Marketing product. I'm not trying to be harsh... just stating the fact.

BTW - this company is about 1/4 mile away from my house.

#19 ·
The article you linked was written by someone who is associated with the product...after reading it I think less of the product she wrote about! Our engines control fuel burn already...a half-pint of additive isn't going to "slow" the fuel burn like the article says...C'mon how much time is there inside a cylinder at 2000 RPM? If it really does "slow" the fuel burn...how do you know it isn't going to leave deposits? Maybe in reality you get more power because the additive deposits in the cylinder increase and cause the cylinder compression to increase...LoL!

#21 ·
@tcope
I'm getting 2 packets. 1 free sample and 1 I paid for. If I don't like the result from the free one, I return the one I paid for and get my money back.

Not harsh at all, I'm not really evaluating the business model they are using to distribute the product. :) I suppose it is a lot like Amway, Avon, Pampered Chef and Tupperware. An MLM does not invalidate the product. Testing it could, and that's all I'm after.

#22 ·
Is this stuff really worth the debate? the only reason why I mentioned race fuel earlier wasn't just cause of the power increase but the tailend of the gear (as in heading toward/into redline) seemed smoother. Fuel additive for power = nitrous. lol... although I heard of a weird setup on a toyota minivan that used the nitrous in odd increments to increase MPG... I wouldn't worry too much about MPG in a 4 banger like ours. If you are that worried about it, stop going WOT

#23 ·
I've tried playing with fuel additives in my koup

I've tried high end gas vs low grade gas with the additive *same gas station same week, same weather etc.

Tried two diffrent kinds of additives, two diffrent brands etc..

and I drove the car the as close to the exact same way for all my silly tests and yeah I saw no real gains, sometimes it felt as if the mpg was a bit worse and imho, the higer octane seemes to make my koup run worse, maybe if I stuck with it longer It would have worked better?

Not trying to steal your thread just wanted to post what I noticed playing around with with fuel additives, but yeah its worth a try if you can get your money back ;)

#24 ·
Not trying to steal your thread just wanted to post what I noticed playing around with with fuel additives, but yeah its worth a try if you can get your money back ;)
Not at all, this is exactly what I started the thread for. Thanks for the input. Mind naming what additives you used?

#25 ·
None of these miracle gas mileage improvers actually work. You are wasting your money.

Everytime the gas prices go up, the con artists come out of the woodwork and every time they are peddling snake oil. If you want the best possible fuel mileage drive like you have an egg on the gas peddle and don't accelerate any harder than necessary. And the biggest determinant of fuel mileage is the weight of the vehicle. And don't forget that gasohol only has 97% of the energy content of pure gasoline that is the basis for the window stickers. You can thank the criminal class in Washington D.C. who passed this giveaway to the corn farmers.

#30 ·
lets all just rebuild our engines like the honda nuts do with the K series motors going from K24's to K26's with the stroker kits/forged internals/etc. and raising the compression to 14:1... around 350whp lol

#31 · (Edited)
@ Tcope

Yeah I'm aware of the compression changes.. makeing more Hp when compression is higher in N/A motors like this one,
and the higher compression ratio would need a higher octane to keep the fuel from burning too fast.

and yet
I was still curious :)
why? Idk lol

#33 ·
Ok, so just a short follow up on this. I did see an SMALL improvement in MPG but not worth the value of the product. For the cost, I can buy more gas than I "saved". Unless gas jumps to around $5/gallon.

I won't be trying the "fuel shark", "voltage stabalizer" or "hurricane vortex".....

Maybe a hydrogen fuel cell to put hydrogen in the intake air? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.