Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting an EX with the fuel economy package but I was wondering what exactly it means when they say it has "aerodynamic enhancements." Visually, is there anything different in appearance between a regular auto EX versus one with the fuel economy package? Also, I thought I remember the package saying it included low resistance silica tires, but on the Kia website, this is no longer listed as part of the package.

·
Registered
644 Posts
When i bought my EX w/fuel eco pkg it had the silica tires. I didn't notice any difference visually between that and the non-eco pkg I have now

·
Registered
78 Posts
The 5-speed auto is really the best part of the ECO package. That 5th gear really makes a huge difference. I don't notice any aero-enhancements, maybe some tabs in front of the rear tires, but I haven't seen a lot of non-ECO Ex's around, so I'm not sure.

The silica tires are questionable. TireRack.com says you can gain up to 4 or 5% with LRR tires, but your stopping and on-center performance falls off a bit, stopping distance is almost half a car length longer with some LRR tires. That's the difference between nosing the car over and slamming the car in front of you, you know?

I bought the ECO package just for the 5-speed auto because Edmunds.com said the 5-speed was the way to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are buying the ECO package because you are expecting wonderful mileage in the city you may be disappointed. Over 6000 miles I'm only getting 21 MPG travelling at an average speed of 15 MPH ... real city driving, lots of red lights & traffic jams, not some fanciful EPA test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm surprised that anyone even found one with the fuel economy package. Whenever I search dealer inventory online I only find the 4-speed. As of now, the 2.0 5A is the only Forte I'd consider.

However, if they go ahead an install 6-speed autos across the board this fall as rumored, I assume that would easily outperform the MPG of the current 5-speed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm surprised that anyone even found one with the fuel economy package. Whenever I search dealer inventory online I only find the 4-speed. As of now, the 2.0 5A is the only Forte I'd consider.

However, if they go ahead an install 6-speed autos across the board this fall as rumored, I assume that would easily outperform the MPG of the current 5-speed.
the rumors are confirmed, every transmission in a forte as of 2011 MY release date has 6 gears

1 - 6 of 6 Posts