Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at which frequency the fuel filter need to be changed?

thx

·
Registered
746 Posts
The fuel filter is considered to be a maintenance free but periodic inspection is recommended. Depends on fuel quality. If there are some important safety matters like fuel flow restriction, surging, loss of power, hard start problem etc, replace the fuel filter immediately regardless of maintenance schedule and consult an authorized KIA dealer for details.

- from KIA's Maintenance schedule:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's inside the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank. I would not worry about replacing it until you are near 100K depending on the type of fuel you use.

The dealer would charge about 1.5 - 2 hour labor as you have to remove the back seat and pull the fuel pump assembly out of the fuel tank.

In few years, I bet this DIY section may have a step by step instruction on how to replace it yourself. The trick is to find how to remove the backseat to expose the top of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Generally the in take "pre" filter doesnt need to be replaced at all until the fuel pump gets replaced. I have yet to see a pre filter bad. Unless there is tampering with the fuel.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Removing the back seat is not too hard ;)
2 bolts in the back of the bottom seat, two pull tabs on the front part pull up, *they are hard to do*

*too get to the seat bolts you just need to open the trunk and pull on the two handles so you can lower the seat backs.. thats it..
But I don't remember seeing the fuel pump lid while I was back there.. I think it might be in the trunk.

Not that you really need to worry about that right now anyway ;)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Just for future reference: Fuel Filter is located in the tank...on top of the fuel pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright!

thank you guys!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think the manual said maintenance free. I did some checking and this info is from Canadian dealership so not sure if USA and elsewhere will be the same.

Currently the Price for the fuel tank air filter is $49.50cad & fuel filter is $39.50cad.
I was told servicing is 48000km & KIA recommends doing both at same time.

As for DIY, this will be pretty darn close, check streetkiaz.com, bmxdad did a great DIY on replacement on his spectra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends on the quality of the fuel. If it is a good one, it may take two to three months but if its not, it should be replaced after a month. It is considered to be a maintenance free but periodic inspection is recommended.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was scratching my head on this for a bit, my owner's manual definitely calls for replacement at 48,000km but checking on KGIS has confirmed it is considered a maintenance free item.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Kia lists this as maintenance free in the 2010 manual. I should of updated this thread.
I'm not sure though if I would not replace it & the strainer bag at some point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts