Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok to be honest..... i dont know sh*t about radios, speakers, subs, and amps.

i know some of you got these wild headunits, and subs in your trunk. so maybe someone can give me some help/ideas on what im looking for.

as far as a headunit, i'd like a double din headunit, touch screen, dvd/cd, sat radio, remote control, and can handle some subs. no gps or rear view camera. im also not looking to spend a trillion dollars either. so my question is:

whats a good brand, model, and where do i get it?

as far as speakers...id like to replace the stock speakers....with this, i dont want the stock speaker grills on the ones in the doors. do they make open speakers? is it safe t do with out damaging the speaker? and again, whats a good brand, and what am i actually looking for? how many watts and stuff like that?

as far as some subs.....ummm i need some serious help!!! lol i plan on doing a custom fiberglass inclosure in the trunk. so im looking for 2 subs back there that will make great bass. whats a good size, and how many watts should i be looking for? also, what should i look for in an amp? do i need a spare battery back there? capacitor? why type of wiring do i need?

can anyone help, i'd greatly appreciate it! ill take all ideas seriously. just spit out your ideas! the more the better!

thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
what's your budget? <<<< Golden question

Head unit wise. Depending on how much you wanna spend. I'd go with pioneer, alpine, or clarion.
( a friend has the clarion in his subaru. works perfect, he got it for 400, then he added the GPS reciever) and another friend has a pioneer in his ion.
here's the one i liked:

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD 7" In-Dash Double-DIN DVD AV Receiver with iPod/iPhone Control, Pandora: Electronics for $500. without navigation.

and this one is an impressive deal. it was 1400 now its down to 600:
Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-X920BT 6.1-Inch In-Dash Double-Din Navigation A/V Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth and Widescreen Display: Electronics

speakers:

i was looking at JL audio c2-650. with a 4-channel amp pushing 60W rms x 4.

also look at some of the higher end alpine stuff.

Sub wise:

Go with 12" rockford fosgate :D. with all those amps and stuff (if you decide to go with 2 amps) then you'll probably need to beef up the alternator. (part of the big 3.)

or go with higher end alpine subs.

On a more detailed note, a friend of mine had the following setup for the subs.
one of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P86SMK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1302561385&sr=8-5 hooked up to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012BWIT2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302561346&sr=8-3

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'd go with a pioneer headunit. They make great affordable lower end double dins that will suit your needs. Check sonicelectronix.com out.

As far as mids and highs, I'd recommend a set of components. I'm using a set of oversized pioneer 6.5 that sound great for the money ~120 bucks. You will need an amp to get the full potential out of them and to keep your system balanced.

Subs, well right now I have a pair of digital designs 1508's 8" subs. And every time someone hears my system they don't believe I'm only rocking 8" subs lol. So size doesn't matter, it's about install. I'd recommend two digital designs 1510's 10" woofers for you. As far as amp, I have a 1500 watt RMS sundown audio mono block and it slams. You can check out audioque, dc, sundown to name a few good non mainstream brands.

Overall, budget will be your deciding factor. I spent ~1000 for my system and I don't have a headunit, I'm using the stock one. I also bought my subs used off another forum and bought a b-stock amp from Jacob at sundown. My mids amp is a cadence txa3004 that I got onsale for 40 bucks lol. I have a budget system.

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guys are talking chinese to me!!!! lol

how about someone just set me up with everything i should get, a list of where to get them, and if its really nice set up, ill give you something!

winner with the best idea gets a RRM strutbar... just pay shipping! theres incentive! lol

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
contest rules: put your ideas down here. full audio system... headunit, speakers, subs, amps, and hardware. show links and everything. if its what im looking for, ill add it to the list, then in a few days, everyone can vote and thats how we decide a winner. since i know jack spit about this crap, im counting on you guys. like i said, it has to be what im looking for:
headunit: touchscreen, remote, dvd/cd/sat
speakers: no grill, great sound, great look
subs: size, sound, watts
amp: watts and looks

please dont get retarded and tell me to buy a $50k sound system. trying to keep it under $2k

·
Registered
695 Posts
haha I like the idea of making your sound system selection into a contest. K.I.A. I would recommend listening to a system first to get an idea of what you are looking to do. I went with a high end system that was peaked towards fidelity and loud. If you want a lot of bass then there is a system that can do that. If you have an idea of what you are looking at as far as sound that will help everyone out.

What type of music do you listen to the most. Did you want a system that can play rock music then switch over to some dubstep and pound the crap out of the subs?

Best of luck with your system, I want to enter into this contest. Does the winner get anything?

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i want bass, but not to sound like crap! lol, house music, techno, rap... mstly what i listen to.

winner gets an roadrace motorsports strut bar!!!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I am not really competing but here's what i would get for myself.

Headunit:
Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD 7" In-Dash Double-DIN DVD AV Receiver with iPod/iPhone Control, Pandora: Electronics for $500. without navigation.

speakers:

Amazon.com: JL AUDIO C5-650X (C5650X) 6.5" 2-Way EVOLUTION-C5 Series Coaxial SPEAKERS: Electronics JL audi C5 (330$) get 2 sets, and a good amp for it.

Sub wise:
one of Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 500 Watt Mono Amplifier: Electronics hooked up to Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3D412 12-Inch 500-Watt Subwoofer - 4 Ohm: Electronics

so total: $660 (speakers)+ $500 (headunit) + Amp (around $300) + sub and amp (around 700)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well thats good to know, as far as music.

Not a big fan of the prize since i have one already but we can always work out something.

Where do we submit our entry?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Headunit
Amazon.com: Kenwood DDX512 6.1-Inch-Wide In-Dash Monitor with USB/iPod Direct Control/DVD Receiver: Electronics

Front Speakers
Amazon.com: JL Audio C5-650 6-1/2" Evolution C5 Series 2-way Component System (Pair): Electronics

rear speakers
Amazon.com: JL AUDIO C5-650X (C5650X) 6.5" 2-Way EVOLUTION-C5 Series Coaxial SPEAKERS: Electronics

sub x2
Amazon.com: 15-MS124 - Memphis 12" 400 Watt MClass Subwoofer: Electronics

Amp
Amazon.com: HD900/5 JL Audio 5 Channel 900 Watt HD series Amplifier: Electronics

This may put you a bit over 2k but its really close. Also I didnt add but you woould want to sound deaden everything. Your doors and trunk will vibrate like hell with this in it.

The kenwood headunit has a great sound processor to get real control of your speakers and sub.

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was going t sound deaden the car anyways to kill road noise. but they dont have speakers that have something to protect them. i dont want those ugly speaker grills on, but i want to protect thwm while i show them off

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
NOOOO, stay away from 5 channel amps. yeah they're good and all, but only for basics. if you wanna get the most out of the system, then you get a 4 channel amp for the speakers, and a monoblock for the sub. (PS: if you go with a dual setup, then 5-channel is out of the question)

and get a decent set of speakers for the back too, like the C5's.

we need D113 to step in :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pioneer and jcv are the way to go as far as head units.
A lot of people are going to tell you to run rockford and jl. You can get a much better in the same price range, as far as subs I'm going to have to say 2 sundown audio SA-10s or 12s on about 1500w.
As far as highs go do you want components or coaxials?
Some 4ga wire, big 3, can't really tell you a highs amp unless I know if you're running coax or components.

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pioneer and jcv are the way to go as far as head units.
A lot of people are going to tell you to run rockford and jl. You can get a much better in the same price range, as far as subs I'm going to have to say 2 sundown audio SA-10s or 12s on about 1500w.
As far as highs go do you want components or coaxials?
Some 4ga wire, big 3, can't really tell you a highs amp unless I know if you're running coax or components.
english???? lol

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i want you guys to set everything up, then everyones going to vote for the best one.. crisp clean sound, thumb in the trunk, easy to use headunit, and i want it all to look pretty!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.