Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago i bought a kia forte 2018.i love the car but im always putting gas in it.i had it to the garage to have it serviced for the 50.000 km check up.he checked the gas usage and it was 13.6 per 100km.he said that was not good.what would cause me to get that kind of gas milage.i dont live in the city and our winters aren't that bad. I think the car payments are lower than the gas usage.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Why didn't the mechanic who did the 50K KM service provide you with a solution? Was it the dealer who serviced it?
Without looking at your vehicle we couldn't provide you with anything usable.
13.6 Liters per 100KM?
That's like 17 miles per gallon.
Do you smell raw gas when you park the car?

·
Registered
465 Posts
that is way too much, outside city it should be just over half your consumption. As Forte SX2.4 said, it is a flurry of possibilities, and a good garage can find that out rather quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why didn't the mechanic who did the 50K KM service provide you with a solution? Was it the dealer who serviced it?
Without looking at your vehicle we couldn't provide you with anything usable.
13.6 Liters per 100KM?
That's like 17 miles per gallon.
Do you smell raw gas when you park the car?
There is no smell at all.the mechanic said to call the dealer because its still under warrenty. No it was not the dealer who serviced it.i plan to call the dealership tomorrow when they are open.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I love those stories... especially when it starts like that: I always put gas in it.
Well, sure you could if you drive 250 km a day :)

Can we get some facts here before making assumptions?

Please respond to those questions with your best knowledge.

1. What service at 50k km? What exactly was done.
2. How did the garage test for fuel consumption?
3. Have you ever tried to calculate yourself? Meaning, pour full tank, read miles from ODO, write them somewhere, and then next time repeat. See how many liters you poured and calculate how many kilometers you drove. Then easy math. Divide the liters by km driven and multiply by 100. What did you get?
4. What exactly do you drive? Saying 2018 Forte is not enough. It could be 1.6 GDI Turbo, it could be 2.0 MPI. Not sure if Canada had same line up as USA at the time.
5. HOW do you drive it? Canada, colder, winter, snow... so do you let the car idle in the morning for 10 minutes? Do you drive a lot of in city (stop and go traffic), are you a heavy foot driver?

To give you persepctive.
I had 2015 Forte5 SX and then 2016, same model, but the former was MT the latter AT.
So, the MT, driving same way - would give me 6.5-7.0 l/100 km on highway. On gentle semi-city drive, I could get around 7.0 as well. If I pushed it a bit, it would be easily 9.0-10.0 l/100 km. In winter would drop to 11-12. The AT one was even worse, highway never less than 7.5. City never better than 9.5, but I had tanks I could average 13 l/100 km.
But I drove it hard.
I would never let it idle, though.

So... knowing answers to those questions, we would be able to give you more specific answer.
Now it is only speculation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love those stories... especially when it starts like that: I always put gas in it.
Well, sure you could if you drive 250 km a day :)

Can we get some facts here before making assumptions?

Please respond to those questions with your best knowledge.

1. What service at 50k km? What exactly was done.
2. How did the garage test for fuel consumption?
3. Have you ever tried to calculate yourself? Meaning, pour full tank, read miles from ODO, write them somewhere, and then next time repeat. See how many liters you poured and calculate how many kilometers you drove. Then easy math. Divide the liters by km driven and multiply by 100. What did you get?
4. What exactly do you drive? Saying 2018 Forte is not enough. It could be 1.6 GDI Turbo, it could be 2.0 MPI. Not sure if Canada had same line up as USA at the time.
5. HOW do you drive it? Canada, colder, winter, snow... so do you let the car idle in the morning for 10 minutes? Do you drive a lot of in city (stop and go traffic), are you a heavy foot driver?

To give you persepctive.
I had 2015 Forte5 SX and then 2016, same model, but the former was MT the latter AT.
So, the MT, driving same way - would give me 6.5-7.0 l/100 km on highway. On gentle semi-city drive, I could get around 7.0 as well. If I pushed it a bit, it would be easily 9.0-10.0 l/100 km. In winter would drop to 11-12. The AT one was even worse, highway never less than 7.5. City never better than 9.5, but I had tanks I could average 13 l/100 km.
But I drove it hard.
I would never let it idle, though.

So... knowing answers to those questions, we would be able to give you more specific answer.
Now it is only speculation.
Driving my ‘ 15 Forte 1.8 in winter months I’m getting anywhere from 8.7 to 9.4 litres, I plug car in at night, start up in morning; I’m a firm believer in not idling a vehicle for more than 3-4 minutes. Car will burn more fuel because fuel enrichment is compensating for cold weather, another reason car burns more fuel is the fact that transmission fluid is not as viscous as when warm; and every moving part is stiff as a board. Spring to Fall mileage improves considerably back to 6.5 lt. not quite sure how I did this but one week I was getting 4.4 litres per 100km. Perhaps no rain, wind, barometric conditions perfect; was probably a large part of the equation. To the original thread poster, don’t you have a mileage meter on your ride? You can turn on the actual mileage meter below it, shows in real time how much fuel your burning. If it’s in the 34-40 litres when you’re taking off normally from a dead stop you have a serious issue, or you have a concrete block strapped to your foot! Always bring your car to a Kia dealership for service, the dude’s and dudettes know what’s going on! Good luck dude!😎

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
not quite sure how I did this but one week I was getting 4.4 litres per 100km

so, just for the fun of it.
Old episode, but still valid. Watch it to the very end, really, as the end is the essence of the whole test.

Reactions: Smooth1

·
Registered
108 Posts
so, just for the fun of it.
Old episode, but still valid. Watch it to the very end, really, as the end is the essence of the whole test.

Thanks for the video PLP, driving style does matter; but maybe; just maybe the original thread starter does have a fuel consumption problem. I own a big bore snowmobile, and when I push the fun flipper down hard she will drink fuel like a thirsty camel, and it runs on premium; didn’t take long to figure out I had to mellow out. Purchasing a smaller displacement sled for next season, once again thanks for the video; hoping all on site will view!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Any response from Mittens12 yet?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im a she and i dont have a lead foot.im taking the car to the mechanic to have the engine gas filter checked.
I apologize, clogged filter will make the car stumble. Perhaps your ECU should be checked, diagnose problem; clogged fuel filter will use less fuel, shutting, shaking, surging; does it have any of those symptoms? Good luck with finding out what is wrong 🍀

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I apologize, clogged filter will make the car stumble. Perhaps your ECU should be checked, diagnose problem; clogged fuel filter will use less fuel, shutting, shaking, surging; does it have any of those symptoms? Good luck with finding out what is wrong 🍀
Thank you .no it doesnt have any of the symptoms. Iam taking it to the mechanic next week.with the price of fuel i need to find out the problem

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Thank you .no it doesnt have any of the symptoms. Iam taking it to the mechanic next week.with the price of fuel i need to find out the problem
could you please answer the questions I posted above?
The mechanic, although I do not know him, either will ask you exactly same questions, or will not care and give you all kind of BS along with pulling a couple of hundred dollars to cover "repairs".

Reactions: Smooth1

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I am curious - any update on the problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts