Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a the 2.4 auto koup less then a month old with 3200 kms on her.

The last week or 2 I have noticed when i go to stop or go there is the smell of gas coming from the ventilation. The AC is always on and its sporadic. But its always when i come to a stop or when im about to leave. Although today I did smell it I was actually moving then i turned the blower on high and a min later the smell was gone.

Anyone noticing this? The smell is very faint but defiantly there. My dads old ford had a similar issue .... crack in the cylinder block was the issue and the gas was creeping out in the ventilation.

Any suggestions. I need to book her in to get checked. The only problem is that it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes I had it, and get a hint of it every now and again... Seems to be the stuff they put on the engine componets and when it gets hot it emmits that odor... It will go away after a while... Pop the hood when it's hot and smell, it'll smell different then fuel but might smell a bit of fuel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is not your normal new engine break in smell.

This is like pure gas as in like when u are filling your tank.

This is not the same as the engine break in smell. I am gonna call today to have it check out. There has to be a gas leak some where.

·
Registered
132 Posts
come to think of it I have noticed this as well... on my SX Koup (auto tranny). I thought I was crazy or just thought it might have been from the person in front of me (as you said I have only noticed it when in stop and go traffic) I am due for service soon as well so I will have them look into it.. keep us posted on your findings as well!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
come to think of it I have noticed this as well... on my SX Koup (auto tranny). I thought I was crazy or just thought it might have been from the person in front of me (as you said I have only noticed it when in stop and go traffic) I am due for service soon as well so I will have them look into it.. keep us posted on your findings as well!
Its very fait. usually notice it when im parked or stopped. I got home from the gym and could smell it again sitting in the drive way ... opened the hood and could smell the faint smell of gas. No clue where its coming from. I have smelled it while driving at 60kms an hour as well.

Its very annoying ... only smell it if the vent is open with the ac on. If its on recirculate you don't smell anything. Friend though maybe it was the gas tank venting?

Call Kia and I am hopefully going to drop her off at 7am if i can get up early enough before work. Im sure they will call me and tell me that they can't duplicate the issue.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
If the dealership finds anything let us know. My sedan did not have any unusual smells but my Koup did. Like you I thought it was gas coming from the vent. I took mine to the dealer and they checked it out -- they said it was the engine...and so far it looks like it was the material they put on the engine (why it wasn't a problem on my sedan I'll never know). I don't smell it as much now, rarely actually now -- like your's it was too intermittant to find a source. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Yes please let us know. I thought it was my floormats off gassing for a while. I was loading washer fluid the other day with the engine on and I could smell it. Maybe it's got something to do with the purge system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yikes, good luck with that man. I just hope you don't smoke in your car :p
HAHAH I quit last September .... I was more concerned about dying from gas poisoning lol.

I am bring her in hopefully tonight and hear back tomorrow ... something tells me they won't be able to figure it out. But as you can see above its not only mine that has the issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Check your fuel injectors with flash light. Mine was leaking fluid and the dealer had to replace the fuel injector seals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check your fuel injectors with flash light. Mine was leaking fluid and the dealer had to replace the fuel injector seals.

Dropped off the car and I asked them to check them. I have no idea where exactly I would be looking to be totally honest. Id have to have my dad do that and he lives 300km away.

Hopefully its that simple and everything will be good. I will not be a happy camper if they can't find the problem. I should know early tomorrow what is wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealership just called.

They said there was a service bulleton with this issue. They said it is cause from high sulfer gas. They basically asked me to run a couple takes of Shell gas thru my tank and it should disappear. No more cheap gas lol.

So I will let everyone know if this actually works. Hopefully it does and I can stop stressing about it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
well i havent had any issues yet and i got the koup sx 6speed but i was planning on running only shell gas if it can be helped so hopefully mine dosent start this and i have only had mine for about 500 miles so far lol

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
Dealership just called.

They said there was a service bulleton with this issue. They said it is cause from high sulfer gas. They basically asked me to run a couple takes of Shell gas thru my tank and it should disappear. No more cheap gas lol.

So I will let everyone know if this actually works. Hopefully it does and I can stop stressing about it.
Let's hope this takes care of your problem.

I use the same gas from the same station in both my sedan and Koup...and have since I bought them! Only the Koup had a smell though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I use the same gas from the same station in both my sedan and Koup...and have since I bought them! Only the Koup had a smell though.
well it didn't smell after i picked it up tonight ... the sulfur content can't be that much different. Hopefully by checking everything out maybe something wasn't fully tight and now it is.

time will tell. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Did you bring your car in to get fixed yet?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
well it didn't smell after i picked it up tonight ... the sulfur content can't be that much different. Hopefully by checking everything out maybe something wasn't fully tight and now it is.

time will tell. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Did you bring your car in to get fixed yet?
I took my Koup in month's ago over the smell...I also cleaned the engine around the injectors (with brake cleaner) because it looked like a possible leak -- they said it was a coating on the engine (waxy material?). Since then it doesn't have the smell like leaking gas.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Dealership just called.

Next time you stop by...ask them for the service bulletin number...thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

How long did the smell last for?

i just got my crooked emblem fixed and sat in the car with the service mgr and you could smell the gas coming out of the vents as soon as your started the car. He said he could not smell anything .... i almost asked him if he was retarded it was very apparent and you could defiantly smell it .... 30 seconds later it was gone. This is very frustrating. He had it checked again and mechanic said he could not find anything wrong .... i am now starting to regret ever buying a kia. Changing gas did nothing to fix the problem.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
How long did the smell last for?

i just got my crooked emblem fixed and sat in the car with the service mgr and you could smell the gas coming out of the vents as soon as your started the car. He said he could not smell anything .... i almost asked him if he was retarded it was very apparent and you could defiantly smell it .... 30 seconds later it was gone. This is very frustrating. He had it checked again and mechanic said he could not find anything wrong .... i am now starting to regret ever buying a kia. Changing gas did nothing to fix the problem.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
My Koup had the smell on and off for 6 months...IMO it is coming from the fuel tank vent but when it was checked the smell wasn't there. Normally it smelled after driving (didn't matter what the outside air temperature was), shut down, and then starting up after at least 30 minutes of sitting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts