Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I don't get it!?!?!?
Why would you care about MPG when you think of throwing your waranty away and spending 5000$+ on a turbo set up.
MPG should be your LEAST concern!!!

But to awnser your question...... I think NOBODY KNOWS!! Except TurboKit!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
No way to know that until a Turbo Koup enters full-time service on the road. A turbo Koup can achieve the same MPG as a non-turbo if you NEVER step on it hard enough to produce boost, or it can get 5mpg if you keep your foot in it every time you drive it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that was the same thing i was thinking matemorh. lol and i would probably be killed by my mother if i voided the warranty of my car, so i would have to do this behind her back, but that would probably be a little hard to do

i would be one of the people to step on the pedal hard on every take-off, and my friends would want to race me all the time if the turbo was in my car so thats another thing i would be doing more often

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
that was the same thing i was thinking matemorh. lol and i would probably be killed by my mother if i voided the warranty of my car, so i would have to do this behind her back, but that would probably be a little hard to do

i would be one of the people to step on the pedal hard on every take-off, and my friends would want to race me all the time if the turbo was in my car so thats another thing i would be doing more often
tanman, I once had a 99 Talon TSI with some mods and best MPG was around 20 (with 94 octane gaz), worst was less than 10!! Turbo car drink gaz like teenager drink alcool on gradution party!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Depending on the atomic make up of your foot (either hydrogen light or lead heavy) you will get the same MPG or much worst. When I had a turbo kit on my SX4 I got about 2 MPG less. I did a lot of open freeway driving and that keep me up there. With just city driving I was getting 17 MPG's or around 5 less then my NA tune.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2001 Focus typically got about 28mpg when it was stock. Now with the turbo it gets about 22-24, and that's trying to drive it sensibly... though the boost is addicting. On track, it gets 8mpg.

That being said, the milage was knocked down to 25mpg when I got rid of the EGR, and I did that before the turbo. So, a certain amount of the reduction is EGR, and some is the turbo.

·
Registered
708 Posts
most turbo cars (if you drive them conservatively and ahve a good tune) should get the same or BETTER MPG then you did prior to the turbo

if your foot is in the gas it will decrease severely

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes! everything ive been told from my friends is that i could get the same mileage, but most of the time you get horrible MPG due to pushing your foot down more

·
Registered
708 Posts
In theory maybe, but I don't think it ever works out that way.

its not in theory..everyone i know thats gone turbo has gotten better gas mileage .. it's a matter of keeping your foot out of the gas..and a good tune one of my friends got 40 mpg constantly on his commute to work on his car that put down 440+whp when he swapped to turbo
he went back to the stock sc and now gets 33-35 and has 240 whp

why do you think there are economy cars that are turbod that aren't going for power..

like tanman said 90% of the time it's because you're foot is in the gas more..

shit when i went SC'ed i got virtually the same MPG i did stock if i would play nice lol

turbo reuses exhaust gasses to make power

1 - 13 of 13 Posts