Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow forte owners!

I'm a proud new owner for a 2010 Koup EX Canadian model.

The shocker when I went to pick up the car was no water/coolant temperature readout.

I've searched and read through the forum. Some people suggested OBDII scanner (Kiatech I t hink) and other say to add an aftermarket gauge (which IMO is intrusive and not neat looking).

So my question is, can the gauge be swapped to the SX? Physically they should fit. I was wondering if the connection is the same? The reason why I'm asking is, I believe that KIA removed these features as a annoyance for people to opt for the higher trim rather than $ saving.

I know that the ECU reports the instant/avg fuel consumption and temperature (for the idiot light). So it is likely the information and sensors are their. It's just the information is not being displayed. Hence OBDII scanner/reader can see it. So why not just a cluster swap?

Anyone has pictures of the SX's conector for the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
348 Posts
A cluster swap is impossible from all information I have. Reason being that with the new 'CAN' system of communication in modern vehicles the cluster is an integral part of the entire system, along with your ECM, TCM, ABS module and SRS module. All communication routes through the cluster and it's absolutely mission critical.

The connectors are actually the same, but I wouldn't want to try to plug them in... 'key on' could actually short out one or more of the terribly expensive computers and you'd be stuck with a lump of a car and a helluva repair bill.

Checking the electrical diag manuals and there are actually pin differences between the two clusters, anyways... so yes it will fit, but no it will not work.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
All Hail the mighty KiaTech.......always fast and reliable answers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!

For Kiatech however, do you have the diagrams? I would really like a closer look.

My reasoning behind this is that all models of Forte (Koup and sedan, EX and SX) Has the same part number for the TCM, SRS and ABS modules, so I don't think those will burn out (plus there are fuses for all the above inthe worst case scenario). And from what I know of the Controller Area Network (BUS) on new vehicles it shouldn't be cluster dependant. I.e. If I removed the cluster the car should still be working normally.

Thanks for letting me know the plugs are the same though! That really helps! But if you could give me the diagrams it would complete the job!

There may be additional pins for the SX's cluster, but as long as the all (+) and (-) leads are the same positional pins, nothing should short out.

I tried www.kiatechinfo.com already they didn't have the diagrams there, I would really appreciate it if you can upload what you saw. If the diagram is detailed enough, I can make it work.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Believe me, if there is a problem the fuse will be the last thing to blow on you. Been there, done that. We're talking a communication path that runs off of 2.5-5V and milliamps, not a 10A 12V thing.

As well, not sure where your part information comes from but there are at last count over 10 different PCM's for Forte sedans alone... along with 4 different ABS controllers. I didn't bother checking the rest because well... I don't think I need to.

I have had clusters with rpoblems, and ever single one of them comes in with a malfunction light and the code of "U0001 - CAN communication failure". If your CAN goes down, you loose the high speed connection between your critical safety modules, and that's just bad news all around.

I have attached the pin out diagrams, to show you where the pins on the connectors are different. Whether this can be monkeyed to work is not the focus of my time here... it's that you could be compromising the safety of your vehicle and it's occupants for the sake of a temperature display that doesn't even give you an accurate reading.

Fun fact: retail for a SuperVision cluster : $1,467.00

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Kiatech! You're very helpful and a true asset to this site!

To answer your earlier question, the part number are ONLY for the 2010 not for the 2011 and only for the SX and EX trims, LX is obviously different. And this can be checked by the dealer's directories.

Also, for the supervision cluster at the local wreckyard is 300$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forums here. Just purchased a Forte-5 EX. So far I love the car...great commuter. But the whole thing about no coolant temperature kinda bugs me. Is there no way to get the information sent to the existing cluster without having to swap dashes? One would assume the information is all available, just a different module or something needed to make it register on the gauge display screen. But...that's an assumption.

Sorry if I sound ignorant. :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
could someone please enlighten me? i thought all koups had the trip computer in the cluster with the scrollable temp gauge?,i take it there must be a model in north america without it:confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
My SX has a coolant bar gauge in the trip computer, I assume all the lower trims do also. Before you go ripping your car apart, do a search for the Scanguage 2. This would give you any read out available through the ECM. I had the original scanguage and loved it. The display on mine finely died after 5 or six years installed on my last truck and just haven't bought another yet.

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes the 2010 EX and LX models only come with a trip meter nothing else but if checking the water temp is so important try glowshift.com. The have gauges and adapters to wire it up easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts